Recently

21 April 2014

Karma Shower Gel


It probably comes as no surprise that I've rated Karma Shower Gel so highly in this review. Without sounding too obsessed, I consider the day that I discovered this scent to be a rather momentous occasion; it probably goes to show what little else I have to focus on in my life! Karma happens to be one of my all time favourite fragrances, and as you guys know, Lush's shower gels happen to be my favourite part of their range. So putting these two elements together was like the cherry on top of the world's best-ever vegan cake.

However, despite my excitement, my feelings towards Karma Shower Gel is also a little vexed in places: I am perplexed and somewhat saddened by the fact that this product has only ever been sold in limited edition batches, and released so seldomly that a single bottle on eBay can go for nearly twice the retail price because of it. For a product that possesses one of Lush's all-time top selling fragrances, further proven by the permanent feature of both a bubble bar and body lotion in this scent within their range, I have no idea why Lush are so keen to keep this product out of the limelight. 

Aside from this SMALL annoyance, the actual product itself is truly wonderful and a delight to use. It's a thick shower gel, similar in consistency to the likes of Dirty Springwash and B-Electro shower gels. It lathers up fairly easily and a small blob goes a long way, meaning I can extend the life of this rare bottle for longer than other shower gels. Furthermore, this shower gel also works wonders in the tub, creating a mountain of gorgeous smelling bubbles to cocoon yourself in whilst bathing. However, I wouldn't recommend that you use this shower gel in this way very often, as it's a sure fine way to finish the bottle up a lot quicker.

My first bath of this shower gel came to me a couple of years out of date so I was a little worried about the consistency and 'freshness' of the product. However, the shower gel was still a thick, gloopy liquid, reminiscent of Lush's other shower gels, so I was happy that the product was still usable. Although it looks brown, the gel comes out as a pretty burnt autumnal orange colour, which is different from any of Lush's other shower gels. The scent was also 'intact',  giving off it's beautiful fragrance the second I removed the lid and took a sniff. 

As with the perfume, bubble bar and body lotion of the same name, Karma Shower Gel is comprised of a few key ingredients that make it's fragrance so wonderful. Karma is an ambient fragrance reminiscent of the sixties. Spicy orange oil is definitely the heart and soul of this fragrance, with warm, earthy hints of patchouli to compliment the main scent. An occasional burst of lavender gives it a herbal touch and pine oil seals the deal, making this a multi-layered festivity of smells. The scent is both sweet and citrusy, and reminds me of those old-fashioned cola bottle sweets you used to get when you were little. Yet it is somehow quite a mature smelling gel, and one that wouldn't go amiss on people of all ages. 

What is great about this product is that it is so hydrating and wonderfully nourishing. Once you've lathered yourself up, your body feels instantly silky soft and a gentle scent lingers on your skin. This effect lasts for a good many hours and can be topped up with any of Lush's other Karma-scented products.  

Even though most of the Karma range is supposed to share an identical scent, I found that this shower gel was slightly less spicy and more subtle smelling than the soap and perfume. In the bottle, it is the orange that comes through the most, and when it's being used in the shower, the lemongrass compliments this through the heat of the water. Although it's clearly 'Karma', it definitely doesn't smell completely identical to the other products.

As you can imagine, I would give my left leg for Lush to bring this back as a permanent addition to their shower gels. It offers a scent far different and more complex than anything from the current range, and would be, without a doubt, a best-selling product. Although I am really excited that I've been able to top up my stash from this latest Lush Kitchen release, I really hope it becomes a more permanent fixture. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Perfume, Patchouli Oil (Pogostemon cablin), Orange Oil (Citrus dulcis), Lavendin Oil (Lavendula hybrida), Pine Oil (Pinus), Lemongrass Oil (Cymbopogan flexuosus), Elemi Oil (Canarium commune), Sodium Chloride, Gardenia Extract (Gardenia jasminoides).

Vegan?: Yes.

2016 Price: £11.00 for 250g.
2017 Price: £11.25 for 250g.

Scent Family:
Bling Crosby Bubble Bar
Double Fast Luck Emotibomb
Karma Ballistic
Karma Bath Melt
Karma Bubble Bar
Karma Dusting Powder
Karma Komba Solid Shampoo Bar
Karma Kream
Karma Liquid Perfume
Karma Massage Bar
Karma Revamped Bubble Bar
Karma Shower Bomb
Karma Shower Gel
Karma Shower Jelly
Karma Soap
Karma Solid Perfume
Karma Sutra Bath Bomb
Lush Bath Bomb

6 comments

  1. Hello! Love your reviews. I just checked this one out since the product is now available on Lush Kitchen and I'm going to make an order!

    Have you by any chance tried Yummy Yummy Yummy to review? I've also ordered that one. :) Anyway, keep up with your ace reviews, they're fab to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words - I'm so glad to hear how my reviews have helped you out. I can assure you that you won't regret purchasing Karma - it's stunning. While I haven't bought any Yummy Yummy Yummy myself as it contains honey, my flatmate bought a bottle a few months back and has been raving about it. I did have a sniff and it smells divine - a really sweet and decadent smell and it's apparently really soft and gentle on the skin. I'm sure you'll love it :)

      Delete
  2. My Karma/Yummy Yummy Yummy have arrived today, and honestly they both smell AMAZING. Quite possibly the best smelling Lush shower gels I've tried in ages! I'm a bit disappointed however - my YYY shower gel hasn't been filled to the top and looks as if someone has taken a few showers with it ! Obviously this isn't the case as it is fresh from the lush kitchen but still.. disappointing. I guess I'll write to them and try and get it sorted. It is beautiful though, as is Karma and I can't wait to try them out properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you love them both - Karma is definitely one of my all-time favourites. That's rather strange that your YYY arrived with some missing - they need to sort that out and send you a free bottle as a way of apology :)

      Delete
  3. Hello!

    I just wanted to ask if you think that the Karma Shower gel smells more like Karma Kream or more like the perfume? I know that's a little funny to ask some they are all technically the same scent, but I personally find that the Kream is just a tad sweeter, and the perfume is more strong and spicy.

    Thanks you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Thank you very much for your reviews. I'd like to know if this gel is really moisturizing and nourishing =)

    ReplyDelete


UP