Recently

15 April 2014

Dream Cream Self-Preserving Lotion


A Little Bit About Lush's New Preservative Free Venture:

If there's one thing about Lush that has attracted most of it's loyal customers, it's the company's dedication to their moral and ethical standpoint. Not only do they support and encourage campaigns that educate society and promote improvement within the cosmetics industry, but they never settle for anything - they're always looking for ways to improve their practice and their products. 

Not happy that all of their products only contain a tiny percentage of harmless preservatives, Lush want to raise the bar within the industry and produce not only preservative free products, but ones that actually preserve themselves using processes that occur naturally in certain fresh ingredients.

Lush explain that it's rather simple to opt out of using preservatives in solid products as 'bacteria require water to grow and multiply', which is why most of their ballistics, bubble bars, solid shampoos etc.. have been able to make that transition quickly and effectively. However, lotions, smoothies and the few liquid hair-care products, have not been so easy to change. 

After years of testing out their ideas, the company claim to have come up with 'an innovative way to rebalance formulations', enabling other products in their range to be sold preservative free whilst still retaining most of their previous features, not to mention their long shelf lives.

Although I have tried and tested all three of the body lotions that Lush have released as part of the first wave of preservative-free goodies, I was still intrigued to sample and compare all three items next to their original counterparts.  

Review of Dream Cream:

Dream Cream is one of three lotions that is part of the first overhaul, and I cannot say that I was overly excited by this. That's not to say that this lotion is a bad product - far from it. However, I remember my first experience of this lotion was not as memorable as other products I have tried since then. 

Like it's older brother, Self-Preserving Dream Cream claims to be the 'life partner for sensitive skin', and given the praise that the original body lotion has received, I don't doubt that this is not the case. Fortunately, I'm not one to suffer from anything other than the occasional bout of dry skin, so I cannot verify these claims. However, what I can say is that the experience I've had with this new addition has completely changed my opinion on it altogether. 

Although the ingredients list has altered slightly to support the new self-preserving recipe, the main elements are still present; Oat milk has been added to cool and heal damaged and irritated skin, whilst rose water and cocoa butter give the lotion it's gentle scent, working alongside the various oils to soften and moisturise the skin effectively.

Much like the original, the body lotion looks and feels quite thick in the tub, very similar to the likes of Sympathy For The Skin and The Comforter. However, unlike some of these products, Dream Cream works wonderfully well with the skin, absorbing very quickly to leave your body feeling beautifully soft and well nourished. 

The only difference I could deter between the original and the new, is their scent. Although the original Dream Cream possessed a lovely floral fragrance, I found that it was a rather potent and slightly acidic rose smell, intertwined with both lavender and tea tree; something which was rather overpowering on the skin

The self-preserving lotion impressed me instantly by showcasing a far more subtle smell both inside the tub, and when lathered across my skin. I found the initial scent to be dominated a little more by the cocoa butter, although the rose fragrance was definitely still present. On my body, the smell of Dream Cream was much more palatable and it actually impressed me a lot more than I was expecting. 

If Lush continue to sell the lotion in this format, it would definitely be one of my first choices to buy when I run out of the surplus lotions I have amassed recently. As it's early days though, I am yet unable to comment on whether the shelf life of Dream Cream Self-Preserving Lotion will be as impressive as it's older brother. However, if my 240g tub lasts me long enough to judge, I'll be sure to update this review with my experience.  

Original Dream Cream Review

Quantitative Ingredients: Oat Milk, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Glycerine, Rose Water, Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Rose Absolute, Chamomile Blue Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Lavender Oil, Tincture of Benzoin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Perfume.

Vegan?: Yes.

Year Of Original Release: 2014.


Scent Family:
101 Salvations
Dream Cream Body Lotion
Dream Cream Self-Preserving Body Lotion
Dream On Bath Bomb
Dreamwash Shower Smoothie
Dreamwash Shower Smoothie Roulade
Fresh Farmacy Facial Soap
In The Nude Bath Melt
Oaty Creamy Dreamy Oat Milk Shower Cream

No comments

Post a Comment


UP