Recently

30 June 2015

Happy Thoughts Bath Oil


Although I love my job and wouldn't want to be doing anything different (aside from being a rock star of course!), there are times when I find it difficult to see the positive in what I'm trying to achieve. When I'm swamped with endless paperwork, dealing with a challenging child or just juggling the many pressures of being a teacher, I often come home feeling rather solemn - not the greatest predicament to find yourself in if you're hoping for a good night's rest.

Lush is such a great form of escapism, and I'm sure many of you will agree that the company have probably been a much-needed life raft at times. While some people would argue that it's just a bath - how could it possibly be deemed as anything more than water and a bunch of smells? However, there have been moments in my lifetime when that thirty minute experience has thwarted  emotional breakdowns and allowed me to function when it would have otherwise been impossible. 

Happy Thoughts Bath Oil has been designed to bring out the best in people - encouraging and inspiring a more positive approach to life and supporting your body and mind when that just isn't possible. Packed full of skin-softening butters and uplifting oils, this miniature ball is like summer condensed into a bath melt. 

As with all of Lush's new melts and oils, this one contains a generous helping of shea and cocoa butter - two ingredients that not only help to nourish and condition your body but work together to help the skin absorb the added moisture and get the most out of this product. There's no denying that this little ball is a powerhouse for the skin - making an impression that'll last you the entire day. 


With Brazilian orange oil and neroli, this refreshing product has a wonderfully bright and uplifting fruity fragrance - one that expands and increasings when in contact with the hot water. What is interesting about Happy Thoughts is that it has a smell very similar to the Lust family - a strong 'jasmine-sque' scent that you wouldn't initial expect when looking at the ingredients. 

This bath oil is definitely more than just an orange one - if anything, the neroli is slightly stronger in the mix so it smells like a strong blossom with homage to the floral elements of jasmine. Whereas a product such as Pumice Powder offers a more sherbet orange aroma, this is definitely more of a fruity, floral fragrance.  


When dropped into water, this ball of essential oils takes quite a while to get to work - slowly releasing little puddles of orange that paint the surface of the water. Once the bath oil has completely dispersed, the whole water turns a very pale orange colour and most of the oils dissolve into the water, allowing them to permeate your skin whilst you are submerged. 

While it's very nourishing on the skin and left my body feeling very soft and well-moisturised, I was disappointed to discover that some of the droplets of oil did not fully dissolve. While this didn't leave my feeling particularly greasy, it did mean that these oils tended to congregate around the outside of the bath and when I drained the water, I was left with a stained tub. Although the damage of this bath oil is not anywhere near as extreme as the original Razzle Dazzle Bath Oil, it did leave me having to spend time scrubbing away the evidence afterwards which was rather frustrating.

What did impress me was that the fragrance of this remained prominent throughout the whole bath, and although I wasn't able to detect it very strongly on my skin afterwards, I could still smell it around the house for a few hours after draining away the water. 


Although it's definitely not my favourite bath oil from the new collection and it's one of the only ones I've had issues with in terms of the 'mess' is creates afterwards, I would still consider buying it again and using it as part of a cocktail. This would work really well with both Uluru Bath Bomb and Dragon's Egg to create the perfect summer cocktail.

Quantitative Ingredients: Organic Shea Butter (Butyrospermum parkii butter), Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), Laureth 4, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glyceriders & PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Perfume, Brazilian Orange Oil (Citrus sinensis), Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (Cocoa nucifera), Radiant Gold Lustre (Potassium Aluminium Silicate, Colour 77491), Titanium Dioxide, Organic Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia chinensis), Neroli Oil (Citrus Aurantium amara), Colour 19140:1, Colour 425410, Colour 45410:2, Colour 47005:1, Soft Pink and Orange Lustre. 

Vegan?: Yes. 

2015 Price: £2 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2015.





2 comments

  1. Hi Jen! I have a random question,
    When you walk into a lush shop, and one of the enthusiastic employees comes bounding up to you lecturing you about the products and 50 others you should try, do you just grin and listen? Or do you say, 'Oh I already know that and actually I run a lush blog and probably know more about this product than you do!' I was in lush the other day and found myself in the middle of a lecture about bath oils, when in fact I already knew a lot about them and I endured it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe! I was accurately having a conversation about this with one of my flatmates the other day. I tend to allow them to do their spiel and if there's room for me to make a comment that suggests I already know, I do. At the end of the day, I would never want to come across as rude and I'm always interested in chatting about Lush stuff so I'm fine with it. I was once rather abrupt (Without meaning to) in the Kingston store and I regretted it for the rest of the day because I thought it made me come across as arrogant, which was horrible. Most of the time the employees always start by asking if I've been to Lush before and I always make a sarcastic comment which nearly always leads them onto asking me about my blog! hehe!

      Delete


UP