Recently

13 October 2014

First Snow Dusting Powder


Dusting powders are just one of those products that gets me salivating at the mouth and super excited about the prospect of what I can sprinkle it on when it arrives. While I recognise that it's not that far off of being glorified talcum powder, there is something wonderful about the simplicity of a product that can soften, nourish and perfume the skin - all at the same time. 

When Lush first announced that they would be releasing First Snow - a brand new powder that shares it's scent with other seasonal favourites such as Celebrate Body Lotion and Golden Wonder Ballistic, I was perhaps a little too enthusiastic when I ordered myself four bottles of the stuff.

Containing cognac, lime and sweet orange oil means that this dusting power is a highly fruity and very uplifting treat for the skin. Dominated by the latter two ingredients, First Snow is a refreshingly-rich citrus fragrance that reminds me of both freshly squeezed grape juice and expensive lemon and lime ice-cream. You can also purchase this in a non-alcoholic version, which smells identical and does the same job as the original. 

Although it's a very light and playful smell, it fits in well with the seasonal range, as it makes a nice alternative to the heavier, spicier scents that dominate most of the Christmas collection. While it has been first introduced amongst the winter products, this would work equally well in the warmer months and I would highly suggest you save yourself a bottle or two for the summer. 

To use this product, simply shake into the palm of your hand and then rub into your skin. You can also apply it directly onto any areas you wish to, although I found that this can cause a lot of the powder to fall off and get onto your clothes and/or carpet. You only need a small amount to cover your whole body - I found a teaspoon amount was more than enough each time. 

The dusting powder sits beautifully on the body, immediately being absorbed into the skin so you don't have to worry about it rubbing off on any clothes you put on afterwards. The inclusion of cornflour and the various oils makes this powder beautifully soft and I was very surprised to discover how instantly smooth it makes your skin feel. I couldn't stop stroking my arms after I had used this for the first time and I found that the condition of my skin stayed like this for the entirety of the day. 

Aside from using it on yourself, you can also use this to refreshen your bed sheets - sprinkling a little on your top sheet and leaving it to settle for a few hours. This will give your bed a wonderful smell that you can enjoy when your head hits the pillow at night. 

To make it more festive, Lush have also included something called geopearl crystal glittering rainbow, which adds a sparkle to the powder and leaves a gentle trace of glittery goodness on the skin. While consumers who dislike glitter will attempt to avoid this product, I would recommend that you give it a chance as it's not super messy and only leaves a delicate afterthought of sparkle on your body - you won't end up looking like a disco ball! Disclaimer; The picture that accompanies this review is here to demonstrate what the dusting powder looks like before it has been massaged into the skin - it is in no way advocating that you use this much with each application. 

Unfortunately, the one aspect of this product that doesn't sit well with me, is that the scent tends to fade after 15-30 minutes and I couldn't detect it on my skin at all after this time. While I could top up the smell with my Celebrate Body Lotion or my Snowshowers Liquid Perfume, I was hoping for a little more longevity. Given how strongly the scent comes across in the bottle, I was expecting something with a little more 'bite' to see me through the day.

Despite this, First Snow Dusting Powder is a great addition to anyone's handbag - whether it be to dab yourself throughout the day or simply enjoy a sniff every now and then. Simply apply this to your skin and some of that nasty moisture will be absorbed whilst leaving you feeling refreshed and smelling beautiful.

Although the £4.50 price tag may seem a little expensive for the 30g you receive, I can see a bottle of this lasting me a good many months, which is great value for money. I'm glad I bought four bottles of this stuff as I plan to make it one of my summer must-haves.  

Quantitative Ingredients: Cornflour, Snowflake Lustre, Magnesium Carbonate, Talc, Geopearl crystal glittering rainbow, Perfume, Sweet Orange Oil, Cognac Oil, Lime Oil, Citral, Limonene, Citronellol, Linalool.

Vegan?: Yes.

2014 Price: £5.95 for 30g.
2015 Price: £5.95 for 30g.

Year Of Original Release: 2014. 

Scent Family:
Bridal Bouquet Ballistic 
Bubbly Shower Gel
Buck's Fizz Body Conditioner
Buck's Fizz Naked Body Conditioner

10 comments

  1. Hi, Jen! Will you be reviewing Fairy Ring soap?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - I will indeed be reviewing the soap. I've been using it for the last couple of days and like to get a feel of a product before I judge it :) It'll be up either Thursday or Friday :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited to see your review of this, because I ordered it even though I just got Silky Underwear, Vanilla Puff, and Lustre last month, along with No Drought and Coconut Deoderant Powder, and they basically all do the same thing and will probably last me a year... I had never tried any of them and wanted to try them all... guess you can never have too much of any Lush product ha!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - that's an impressive stash! But you're right, you can never have too much of a good thing and dusting powders are rather lovely :)

      Delete
  3. What exactly is a dusting powder?xx:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a combination of cornflour, talc and essential oils that can be used for an array of things - it's pretty much like talcum powder, only better! You can apply it to the skin to give it a slight fragrance and works well in the summer to keep you dry in the stickier months. It also works well as drawer/sheet powder that you can dust every so often to give your sock drawer or your bed a nice sprinkling of fragrance!

      Delete
  4. In love with this! Like literally in love! Although its do turn me out into those Twilight vampire haha. Was so excited of it and straight away applying it to my skin and that ends me up sparkling all day at work. Just hope this glitter won't give me rashes haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got this today as well and I couldn't wait to sprinkle this on my arms. It smells SO GOOD and I just love the sparkle!! I'll definitely be ordering another bottle of this to save up for the summertime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a feeling lush took heed when it comes to longevity, because this years batch seems to stay scented on your skin for so much longer. I picked up a few bottles on Boxing Day and stared using it recently. Applying it even at 8pm after my shower I can still smell it in my arms the next morning. Possibly my favourite dusting powder now, although being a guy I just wish they offered a lustre free version!

    ReplyDelete


UP