Recently

24 December 2013

Calacas/Day Of The Dead Liquid Perfume


As I mentioned in my review of Calacas Shower Jelly, it was purely by accident that I stumbled across the Day of the Dead/Calacas scent. However, once I had experienced my first sniff of it's sweet, zesty citrusy sexiness, I was hooked for life. 

For long time Lushies, love it or hate it, Calacas' notoriety cannot be ignored; for those new to the world of Lush, and perhaps have yet to smell it's unique aroma, it's a scent that must be experienced for you to recognise why it's so popular.

Being the meanies that they are, Lush don't have any products featured in their regular range that possess this amazing smell, which is why I had to spend months searching for a rare and expensive bottle of the scent to quench my thirst. I was lucky enough to find a brand new, unused bottle of Day of The Dead perfume a few months into my search, however, I found that I was hesitant to use it often for fear of running out altogether.

So when Lush announced they were releasing five limited scents for their annual December perfume sale, I immediately began praying that one of the scents was Calacas. Imagine my excitement when they confirmed my wishes and began selling these sexy new bottles a mere one week later. 

Priced at a measly £25 for a 30ml bottle, this perfume is cheap in price but not in scent. The perfume possesses the scent of lime and jelly bean; a blend of exotic Neroli essential oil and zingy Lime oil that creates a youthful scent reminiscent of fruit pastille sweets and orange jelly. The scent is mainly zesty with heavy floral notes and signs off with a fresh citrus twist, giving Calacas that sophisticated fragrance layer that is unexpected on first sniff.

This fruity little number smells delicious, and as Lush claim, 'puts a smile on the face of all who wear it.' Lime and neroli oils give Calacas its citrusy kick, while the added frankincense, or olibanum, gives a deeper richness to the perfume which you don't necessarily find with the jelly or shower gel varieties.

Although this perfume is rather one-dimensional, in that I don't find the scent matures or alters during use, it does have long lasting properties and I found I could still smell it on myself some eight hours after my initial appliance.

This is an outstanding perfume that is fresh, sweet and youthful, and should be grabbed before it sells out for good - you'll regret it if you don't.

Quantitative Ingredients: DRF Alcohol, Perfume, Lime Oil, Olibanum Oil, Neroli Oil, Benzyl Salicylate, Hydroxycitronellal, Methyl Ionone, *Citral, *Citronellol, *Geraniol, *Farnesol, *Limonene, *Linalool.

Vegan?: Yes

Scent Family:
Calacas Shower Gel
Calacas Shower Jelly
Calacas/Day of The Dead Perfume
Lady Catrina Soap
Man In The Moon Bubble Bar
Monsters' Ball Bath Bomb
Skullduggery Ballistic

6 comments

  1. I cannot get enough of this scent! I wore it almost every day to work and I'm wearing it right now and just, oh my god. What a beaut.

    http://upallnighttogetlushie.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's absolutely beautiful, isn't it? I'm so glad other people get as much joy out of it as I do!

      Thanks for the link - I love your blog. Extremely jealous of your Love Locket - I've ordered a couple online but won't be able to enjoy them until next week.

      Delete
  2. Hi jen.. Im not and old school lushie like you( meaning been using lush for years) but im also not fairly new and do know quite a bit of info about lush and lots if their profucts but anyway- ive never heard of day of the dead perfume.. Im assuming since u have both bottles of perfume in the photo under the calcas review they both have the same scent??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do have the same scent! Lush used to call all of the products in the range 'Day Of The Dead' but changed it a few years back! ☺️

      Delete
  3. Just my all time favourite. I could never imagine that anything could smell better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if you guys care, but you can buy this same fragrance oil and add it to anything you'd like! Just search "Calacas Fragrance Oil" on Google and it should pop up from multiple soap and candle scent companies.

    ReplyDelete


UP