Recently

26 May 2017

Calacas Body Lotion


It's hardly surprising that Calacas came out on top in the voting pole for smells that consumers want to see in more formats. Despite the multiple bath bombs, shower gels and jellies, perfumes and soaps that share this scent, the simple fruity fragrance is one of Lush's most popular inventions, and fans will clamber to get their hands on absolutely anything with the same smell. 

While I cannot deny that it is one of my all-time favourites as well, there is a small part of me that wishes a lesser prominent product had won - simply because the Calacas range is already highly saturated, and it would have been nice to experience something a little different instead. Having said that, I cannot deny that my small tub of Calacas Body Lotion has been well and truly dipped into over the last couple of days, and to say it is any less than what I was hoping for, would be a rather unfair statement. 

Unlike the Brightside Body Lotion, I was actually initially disappointed when I experienced my first sniff of this limited edition. While it is Calacas through and through from the get-go, I found that this lotion is definitely not as spritely, nor as fruity as the shower gel or jelly that I know and love.

Don't get me wrong: the fresh, citrusy lime smell that we all know and love is definitely there, and fans of Calacas will be able to appreciate their favourite scent in this format. However, there is something slightly reserved about the fragrance in the tub. I almost feel as if the base ingredients stop the smell from being as elevated as it is in other formats; as if there's a cap on the scent and it's not quiet as long-lasting as it's known to be in other products.

Much like The Brightside, this lotion is rather thick to apply, and you really need to massage it into the skin well to ensure that you're not left with any residue on the surface afterwards. Once applied to the body, you will then need to give the product a good ten to fifteen minutes to be absorbed, as the lotion tends to leave a mild stickiness on the surface for a short while.

What is great about Calacas Body Lotion is that it's really effective at helping to improve the condition of your skin in a very short space of time. Immediately after applying this, my skin looked so much more radiant, and it also felt so incredibly nourished and replenished. Given the nature of the consistency, I felt as if the various oils really got to work at absorbing themselves, and I was left with firmer, plumper skin to see me through the day.


On the other hand, just like the other body lotions featured in this release, I do feel as if this lotion may be a little too heavy to use during those scorching-hot, summer days. After applying this mid-morning, I could feel how heavy the lotion felt whilst on my body, and when the sun began to break me out in a little sweat, I did feel uncomfortable with the lotion so prominent on my skin.

Furthermore, I'm going to be honest and say that I was a little disappointed with how the smell of the lotion developed on my skin over time. Already slightly less wholesome than it is in shower gel and jelly format, I found that the fragrance wasn't as powerful as I was expecting, and the scent all but dissipated within the first twenty minutes of application.

Don't get me wrong: the smell of this lotion is super zesty and fans of Calacas will no doubt love smearing themselves with their favourite lime-dominated aroma. However, given how fickle citrusy smells can be in certain formats, I just feel as if this body lotion isn't as exciting as I was expecting it to be. Perhaps I'm being a little harsh, because there is nothing particularly bad about this body lotion at all. Having said that, I just feel as if the fragrance could have been a little bit more robust, but perhaps that's the nature of working with such a simplistic smell to begin with.

Given the lightness of the aroma, you would expect this lotion to be more in line with Karma Kream, consistency wise. For this reason, it makes a welcome change that the lotion is far thicker than I as expecting it to be. Despite a few negative points, this is a really lovely lotion and one I will continue to use throughout the hotter months of the year. Calacas fans will no doubt really appreciate this new addition to the family,  

Quantitative Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Almond Oil, Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter, Glycerine, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Lime Oil, Olibanum Resinoid, Neroli Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Alpha-Isomethyl, Ionone Benzyl Salicylate, *Citral, *Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, *Limonene, *Linalool, Perfume, Methylparaben Propylparaben.

Vegan?: Yes.

2017 Price: £13.95 for 225g.

Year Of Original Release: 2017.


Scent Family:
Calacas Shower Gel
Calacas Shower Jelly
Calacas/Day of The Dead Perfume
Lady Catrina Soap
Man In The Moon Bubble Bar
Monsters' Ball Bath Bomb
Skullduggery Ballistic


No comments

Post a Comment


UP