Recently

5 August 2013

Lady Catrina Soap




Shaped like a fruity hat and decorated with flowers, the original Lady Catrina Soap was a beautiful looking soap. Released as part of Lush's limited edition 2010 Halloween range, this was not a product that is easy to come by, and the pieces that did turn up on eBay, were definitely not in the greatest of condition. So when Lush released a batch of the popular soap to coincide with their Halloween Kitchen release, I just knew I had to snatch up a couple of pieces.

What I especially loved about the original product was that no pieces of this soap were alike, and of course the fact that it possessed the most gorgeous range of colours of any soap ever released from Lush. Featuring deep purples, fluorescent greens and vibrant oranges, Lady Catrina was a feast for the senses - a statement that is still relevant with regards to the recent purple-orientated release, but one that has very slightly lost its meaning.

With a zesty fragrance of fruit pastilles and freshly cut limes to entice anybody with a nose for citrusey scents, this Calacas-scented soap offers the same beautiful aroma as Calacas Shower Gel, Shower Jelly and matching perfume. And much like all of the aforementioned products, the aroma of this soap is equally as gorgeous and incredibly addictive. 

Aside from the lime and neroli oils that give this product its uplifting and refreshing qualities, the addition of Mexican agave nectar helps to soften the skin and add a gentle sweetness to the aroma - leaving your body smelling like a basket of fruit and with an added bout of radiance that the various oils help to stimulate.

Like all of Lush's soaps, it has a wonderful palm-free soap base, which is not only environmentally friendly but also incredibly foamy. This was noticeable from the very first use, as I needed very little moisture to create a nice lather.

The soap is mostly made up of rapeseed oil and coconut oil, which once you begin using it, helps to create a thick, foamy lather that spreads easily over the body and makes your skin feel instantly softer and smoother. As I mentioned above, the addition of both lime and neroli oil also helps to clean out the pours and add some much-needed radiance to the skin, which is great for those who have tired-looking skin.

This is a gentle product that doesn't wear down quickly or irritate my skin at all - meaning that a 100g block will easily last me 4-6 weeks with daily usage. Furthermore, Lady Catrina doesn't dry my skin out at all-  something that I'm always cautious of when I'm using soaps as it's something I suffer from quite a bit with soaps.


2010 leaf decoration
To sing its praises a little more, the soap also leaves an impression on the skin, and I could still smell the stunning lime aroma on my skin hours after I had towelled myself down. After topping up the scent with a few sprays of the perfume, I was ready to face the day uplifted and radiant from head to foot.

Ultimately, this is such a great soap, and one I only wish that Lush would bring back a little more regularly than they have done in the past. While I have enough shower gel to sink a ship, its sometimes nice to chance mediums, and this is one I would use regularly if I had the opportunity to. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Water, Rapeseed Oil and Coconut Oil, *Glycerine, Propylene Glycol, Perfume, Organic Agave Nectar, Lime Oil, Olibanum Resinoid, Neroli Oil, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Hydroxide, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, *Citral, *Limonene, *Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Colour 17200, Colour 42090, Colour 45410, Colour 45350.

Vegan?: Yes

2015 Price: £4 for 100g.
2016 Price: £4.25 for 100g

Scent Family:
Calacas Shower Gel
Calacas Shower Jelly
Calacas/Day of The Dead Perfume
Lady Catrina Soap
Man In The Moon Bubble Bar
Monsters' Ball Bath Bomb
Skullduggery Ballistic


3 comments

  1. I had no idea about agave nectar- do they still use this ingredient in products now? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. In all honesty, I'm not too sure If they use it as an ingredient anymore. I've not come across any products in a while that have contained it. Perhaps they've found a cheaper alternative?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must have!! Ohh I hope they bring all the Dia de Los Muertos products back this Halloween too!! My 2nd Fav Holiday!;)

    ReplyDelete


UP