Recently

13 August 2013

Dirty Toothy Tabs


After my less than pleasant experience with the Sparkle Toothy Tabs, I was a little hesitant to try any of the other flavours. However, the premise of Lush's tabs being environmentally better, urged me to give them a second chance. For this reason, I thought I'd play it safe with their spearmint variety, Dirty

The tabs come in a small rectangle box, which makes them great for travelling as they'll take up a lot less room than your average tube of toothpaste. They're also mess free as paste risks leaking all over your luggage, whereas if your box of toothy tabs were to 'explode', you'd just have a small collection of broken tabs that are easily removable. 

However, there is one disadvantage to these tabs being environmentally conscious, and that's that they're stored in a thin cardboard box. This makes it rather difficult to store the tabs in the bathroom, the one place in your house that guarantees to stay damp for the most part. I know common sense tells me I could keep these tabs in a drier area of my flat. However, I like to brush my teeth whilst in the shower, so this a little annoying.

The box currently retails for £2 and is aimed to give you roughly 40 uses, which does make this product marginally more expensive than your shop-bought variety. However, there are many perks aside from the environmental aspects that make me believe this product is worth the price tag.

To use them you simply pop a tab into your mouth, crunch down using your front teeth, wet your toothbrush and begin to brush your teeth as per normal. The powdery mixture foams with the addition of water but remains grainy. It is this abrasive texture that I believe helps to whiten your teeth and clean away any stubborn pieces of food.

The gritty texture is something that you have to get used to, as at first I was a little grossed out by it. However, the addition of these pieces helped me to feel like I was exfoliating my teeth and they definitely felt clean and fresh after I had finished. Unlike normal toothpaste, the aftertaste is also a lot more subtle, meaning that I could enjoy eating afterwards without experiencing that overpowering minty flavour that you do with shop-bought paste.
Overall, this second attempt at using toothy tabs was a lot more positive than the first, and I shall definitely be continuing my use of these for the near future.

Quantitative Ingredients: Dicalcium Phosphate Anhydrous, Sodium Bicarbonate, Cream of Tartar, Sorbitol, Lauroyl Sarcosine, Kaolin, Spearmint Oil, Neroli Oil, Sodium Saccharin, *Limonene, *Linalool, Flavour.

Vegan?: Yes

2015 Price: £2 per box.

Scent Family:
Dirty Body Spray
Dirty Massage Bar
Dirty Soap
Dirty Solid Perfume
Dirty Springwash Naked Shower Gel
Dirty Springwash Shower Gel
Dirty Toothy Tabs
Moustachio Soap

3 comments

  1. Hiya! I love your blog, you mentioned not liking the cardboard? Little tip, you might not find this useful but try putting them in a mint tin? You can get cute ones ones cheap and throw out the mints and use the tin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea Tee :) I'll have to do that for my toothy tabs as well. The metal tin will protect them better than the cardboard as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have a lot of the small black sample-pots, so i have some tabs in every bag (i always care a brush with me too). Dirty is my first try and i love it. the taste is strange (pumice and soap?!) but i get rid of it and i won't change back to normale paste. Now i will have a try of the other ones and the oxford specials :)
    Thanks for your Blog, it's awesome to see your opinion! :)

    ReplyDelete


UP