Recently

20 April 2015

Dirty Hair Cream

Recently, I've started to realise that there is very little left on the Lush website that I haven't already tried and reviewed on this blog. It's getting to the stage where I have established my firm favourites, my daily-uses and my 'once every so often' products, which leaves me in a very comfortable position. It means that every time I make an order, I know exactly what I want to invest in - I don't have to worry about spending money on a product that I end up disliking.

Dirty Hair Cream is one of the last products left on my review list, and it's been pushed back because it's a not a product I really have any use for. Nowadays I rely on my favourite solid shampoos and conditioners to keep my hair glossy and beautiful. If I ever find myself with stray bits, a few sprays of Sea Salt Spray does the job. I have no need to use wax, oil, gel or cream to style my hair but I wanted to try it anyway, just to cross it off my list.

Described as a medium-hold styling cream, Dirty is designed to hold your locks in place without leaving you with greasy, matted hair. This isn't a cream that would work for over-stylised designs so don't expect to be able to do anything too elaborate - you'd need to invest in some rather expensive waxes to do that. This is just for those who want to manage the 'stragglers' with ease. 

What is great about this cream is that it shares it's scent with the popular Dirty fragrance - a scent that can be found in shower gel, body spray, toothpaste, soap, perfume and shaving cream format. While it's not predominantly masculine - I have a female flatmate that loves the smell - it does tend to attract more of a male fan base. 
Where most of the Dirty products I have tried tend to smell strongly of mint and little else, I was surprised and pleased to discover that this hair cream has an earthy herbal kick to it - the sandalwood oil, pine oil and oakmoss absolute is definitely much more present in this cream and it is this that I can still smell a few hours after applying it in my hair. 

The cream costs £6.95 for a 100g tub, which works out roughly the same price as a shop-brought variant. Unlike the other alternatives, this one is far more natural and gentler on the hair and I noticed this after my initial use. Whereas the waxes and putty I have tried in the past tended to dry my hair out and leave it feeling matted and clumped, this cream didn't do this at all. Although I could feel its 'presence' on my hair, it was very mild and all but disappeared when I ran my hair brush through it afterwards. 

Dirty Cream contains a variety of ingredients - some of which are designed to hold your hair in place whereas others are included to keep it soft and manageable as well. The inclusion of Japan Wax works as a natural polymer - helping to hold your hair in position. Lush have then used coconut oil, illipe butter and cocoa butter to soften and condition the hair so it isn't dried out or stripped of it's colour in the process. 

To use this product, I scoop a very tiny amount onto the tips of my fingers and briefly massage it across both of my hands so I don't have an excessive amount. Then I simply add it to my hair - if I want to hold hair down, I'll focus on smoothing my hair down as I massage the cream over the top of my head; if I want to add a bit of volume, I'll run my fingers through my hair and apply enough to give me a waved, messy look or whatever it is that I'm going for. While I'm unable to spike my hair up like a 70's punk, it does keep my hair in check and support small style changes that I've tried.  

Only a small amount of hair cream is needed at a time and the small 100g pot will last you a long time, even with daily use. I've been using a pot for a month now and I'm nowhere near using even a quarter of the tub so far. While it's not something I will continue to use as I don't tend to style my hair very often, one of my flatmates has trialled it out for himself and now swears by it to keep his locks in place all day. It's a really good-quality hair care product and one I would recommend that you try. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Linseed Mucilage, Balm Herb infusion, Japan Wax, Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP), Propylene Glycol, Fair Trade Coconut Oil, Stearic Acid, Illipe Butter, Candelilla Wax, Triethanolamine, Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sandalwood Oil, Pine Oil, Oakmoss Absolute, Linalool, Methyl Ionone, Perfume, Methylparaben.

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £6.95 for 100g.

Year Of Original Release: ?

Scent Family:
Dirty Body Spray
Dirty Massage Bar
Dirty Soap
Dirty Solid Perfume
Dirty Springwash Naked Shower Gel
Dirty Springwash Shower Gel
Dirty Toothy Tabs
Moustachio Soap

7 comments

  1. Just wanted to say that I love your new banner! It's gorgeous!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also going to say the same thing! It's super cute and very retro!

      Delete
  2. Interesting product, I haven't reached for it in the past because I prefer higher-hold waxes. The smell might be worth checking out, as I wasn't a fan of the simple mint in the shower gel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also complimenting the new banner! So cute!
    -cara

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really shared great info on dirty hair cream!! Well I am looking for best alterna hair products only for my thin hairs. Do you have any idea from where I can get those at discounted price?

    ReplyDelete


UP