Recently

1 November 2014

Godiva Solid Shampoo Bar



Lush's collection of shampoos, in solid and liquid form, is rather huge, and a mean feat to get through if you're a reviewer. Firstly, due to the company's expert design process, most of the shampoos available offer exquisite hair care, which means that you don't have to wash your hair every day. Secondly, their large array of solid shampoos boast a shelf life of between 3 and 6 months, which makes trying all of the bars, a four year job.

When I finally purchased a bar of Godiva Solid Shampoo, it had been almost three years in the pipe-line, so my expectations were very high. Advertised as a 2-in-1 shampoo bar, containing ingredients to both clean, perfume and moisturise your locks, this is a rather unique offering from Lush and unlike any other of their solid bars.

To look at, Godiva is one of Lush's prettiest and most eye-catching shampoo bars. Showcasing a bright yellow demeanour, this product contains tiny remnants of jasmine flowers on the surface and lumps of cocoa and shea butter distributed throughout it's body. Together, these combined ingredients make up most of this shampoo's scent and help towards making this one of Lush's most conditioning shampoos. 

Made from a combination of hibiscus extract, jojoba oil, jasmine absolute, ylang ylang oil and jasmine flowers, this solid bar possesses the same scent as the popular Flying Fox Shower Gel. It's a unique, sensual but highly intoxicating floral fragrance like nothing else I've ever experienced before. Much like American Cream and Happy Happy Joy Joy Conditioner, this hair product will perfume your locks and leave a long-lasting fragrance to see you through the day. 
As well as ingredients to give it it's smell, Godiva also contains shea butter, cocoa butter and macadamia nut oil to condition your hair and leave it wonderfully soft, shiny and glossy. It's so effective at doing this that the bar left my hair feeling wonderfully smooth and hydrated, even after the initial use.  

As with all of Lush's solid shampoo bars, this product is really easy to use as it immediately begins to foam when in contact with moisture. I found that I only needed to rub it between my hands for a matter of seconds before I had enough to cover my entire head and then some! A quick rinse under the running water and this solid bar is ready to be stored somewhere dry for it's next use. 

For someone like me, who has rather dry and damaged hair, this worked wonders at repairing and conditioning my locks before I'd even applied my Veganese Conditioner. I thought perhaps that over time, this rich shampoo might have the opposite effect on my hair and make it rather greasy. However, after two months of daily washing, my hair still felt and looked as glossy as I did the first time I used it.  

I cannot comment on how this shampoo would work on more oily hair, as I would assume Godiva would perhaps be a little too heavy for these hair types. Although, judging by other people's reviews, some have even stated the complete opposite of what I've just said. For this reason, it's down to user discretion to decide how best to use this shampoo and whether or not it would work for you. 

As with all of Lush's shampoo bars, this is great value for money. Priced at a reasonable £5.95, this bar can last you up to 6 months, as long as it's kept somewhere dry in-between uses. Although it's not my favourite solid shampoo, it is one I'll go back to if I ever need that extra boost of moisture for my dry hair.

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocoa Butter, Cetearyl Alcohol & Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Glyceryl Stearate & PEG-100 Stearate, Propylene Glycol, Perfume, Hibiscus Extract, Stearic Acid, Shea Butter, Cetearyl Alcohol, Camellia Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Macadamia Nut Oil, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Cupuacu Butter, Jasmine Absolute, Ylang Ylang Oil, Cypress Oil, Palmarosa Oil, Jasmine Flowers, Cetrimonium Bromide, Gardenia Extract, Benzyl, Alcohol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool.

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £6.75 for 55g. 

Scent Family:
Floating Flower Bath Ballistic
Flying Fox Body Lotion
Flying Fox Shower Gel
Flying Fox Solid Perfume
Fox Bath Bomb
Godiva Solid Shampoo Bar
Lust Liquid Perfume 
Lustre Dusting Powder
Lust Solid Perfume
Yes Yes Yes Massage Bar
Youki-Hi Bath Ballistic


8 comments

  1. Flying Fox is being discontinued?! Oh no! I will be heartbroken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When is the review of pink fun coming?xx:-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how do you know flying fox is discontinued? just had a look to find a list on the forum or on facebook...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just edited my review so it won't cause confusion. When I wrote this review a month or so ago, I was told that Flying Fox was being continued. Given that it's still for sale, this information was either false or it's not happening for a while. I hope for the sake of the fans that it's not :)

      Delete
  4. Oh yikes I hope it's a false alarm! Being a new lushie, I have a list a mile long of things I want to try, and flying fox is on that list. I try to limit myself to only spending $100 US dollars a month but that doesn't always work lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have dryish curly hair, not super dry, just frizzy. I never get dandruff, but this gave me dandruff. I even started avoiding using it on my scalp to prevent this. I tried it for 2 weeks, every 2 or 4 days. DID THIS HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE?

    It didn't really moisturize my hair, as much as it left it coated with an oily substance.

    I wanted to love the solid bars, but Cynthia/Sylvia Stout and Rehab do a much better job.
    I do wish Lush would completely do away with SLS and other sulfates as they are too abrasive. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This bar destroyed my hair. I started using Jumping Juniper to fix it, and it worked very well. I wonder why Godiva did this to us?

      Delete


UP