Recently

29 April 2014

Strawberry Twin Tub Shower Jelly



You may think it strange that I'm choosing to review this product, when I've already posted on my blog of Strawberry Santa Shower Jelly - a festive item that is near enough identical aside from it's shape. However, especially with recent Lush releases, I've found that being able to try something fresh often brings out different elements of a product's fragrance, and can sometimes alter the effectiveness of the product altogether. Such is the case with this shower jelly. 

Strawberry Twin Tub was initially released in 2005, and until it was brought out last week in the Lush Kitchen, I didn't realise just how popular a product it was. Marketed as a shower jelly with multiple dimensions of scent, the key ingredients that make up it's fragrance is fresh strawberries combined with a coconut and vanilla pod infusion. To me it sounds like a recipe for a cheesecake, which can never be a bad thing in my eyes.

As I mentioned on my review of the festive edition of this jelly, it's not very often that Lush bring out strawberry smelling cosmetics, which is odd given the popularity of the fragrance. However, whenever they do, I expect the product to offer me something far more fresh than the over-processed toiletries you'd find in your local pharmacist. 

This shower jelly immediately gave me a strong impression upon opening the lid, when I was able to pick up the fresh strawberry aroma right away. It's not as natural smelling as you would expect from Lush, and reminds me a little of the strawberry glycerin sachets that my mother used to use to make the glaze for cheesecakes. However, it does possess a faint tartness reminiscent of slightly underripe berries. 

As with Strawberry Santa, I can definitely detect hints of the vanilla in the fragrance as well, although again it's not as fresh or natural smelling as Vanilla Dee-Lite Body Lotion or Vanillary. As my tub of the shower jelly was as fresh as it could be, there was a very subtle coconutty element in the overall smell and this showcased itself more when heat had been added during the shower. 
There are several ways that you can use any of Lush's shower jellies, and I find that everyone has their own preference, which is completely understandable. Firstly, you can break a small piece of (or select a piece that's been segmented prior to your shower) and rub the block directly onto your skin. The amount of lather this creates differentiates vastly depending on the type of jelly, how old the product is and the size of the piece you're using. While some users find this way works for them, I find that this is fairly ineffective as it does not create much of a lather and the jelly becomes too wet, making it slippery and difficult to hold on to. 

Secondly, you can use a shower sponge, puff or exfoliating glove to create a lather before rubbing it all over your body. For me, I found this method far more successful as it helped to break down the jelly properly and create a nice foamy effect to wash your body with. Finally, you can break off slabs of the jelly and use them as you would a bubble bar, placing them underneath a running tap to stimulate bubbles. I tend to use mine for this reason, as I can get 20+ baths out of one 250g tub, which I consider to be great value for money.

In the tub, Strawberry Twin has a slight sparkle to it - which gives a wonderful glimmer and makes it just that little bit more special. It's rather elasticated in texture and would work best if you chopped it up into pieces beforehand. You can tear a piece off whilst you're in the shower, but I found that I always over-estimated how much to use and some was wasted in this way. 

Much like the festive edition I tried many months ago, this shower jelly did make my skin feel lovely and soft. The addition of carrageenan seaweed helps to give this jelly a silky consistency in the tub, and this softness is inherited by your skin whilst it's being massaged across your body. It lathers up wonderfully in the shower and left me feeling clean and summery; a trace of the scent lingering on my skin until the very next day, when I received some rather positive comments. 

Overall, Strawberry Twin Tub is a nice product for anyone who loves strawberry-scented cosmetics. It's a lovely smelling shower jelly, and definitely one that would suit most people's tastebuds. Unfortunately, I think this fragrance is just rather generic and boring for my liking - not the usual quirky and unique concoctions that Lush are known for. As I said for Strawberry Santa, it's a product that would work best with younger children, not adults who are perhaps looking for something a little more complex and mature. 

Lush claim that this shower jelly 'is reminiscent of sweet-shops, picnics and the great British summertime.' While I wouldn't say it's aroma is as natural and fresh as this suggests, it is a lovely treat for when you're craving something sugary and don't have any sweets in the house. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Glycerine, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Spring Water, Coconut and Fair Trade Vanilla Pod Infusion, Fresh Strawberries, Carrageenan Extract, Perfume, Benzoin Resinoid, Geranium Oil, Jasmine Absolute, Cinnamal, Benzyl Benzoate, Citronellol, Linalool, Methyl Ionone, Colour 14700, Colour 17200, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £7.95 for 250g. 
2017 Price: £7.95 for 250g. 

Year Of Original Release: 2005.

Scent Family:
The Big Strawberry Bath Melt
Strawberry Santa Jelly
Strawberry Twin Tub Jelly
Two Timing Tart Bubble Bar

3 comments

  1. Wish I would of gotten this one! its one of the few items I regret not getting from the kitchen. I think the jelly's are one product that's worth spending a bit more money because they last along time. For a bubble bath I break off a small piece and put it in a "tea ball" bought it off of Amazon since I couldn't find any here at the time. I hang it over the faucet on the tub and depending on what Jelly it is I usually get lots of bubbles. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one and I wish I could get it again. I think, for me, the jellies work best when cut up in 1 inch cubes and I take one and mash it into a loofah. It lathers up great that way for me. I've also used this in my hair and it made my hair so soft and it smelled amazing. I've only used this jelly and the Big Calm and it's made me want to try other jellies... they're so much fun lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm considering getting some of this from the kitchen this week, even though it has been a week. my baby sister and I love LUSH, and she was devastated by the loss of Sweetie Pie, but I'm trying to decide whether or not it is worth it. It has to come from the UK to AUS, what do you think Jen? We both love strawberries, and jellies are always a hit here in our house.

    ReplyDelete


UP