Recently

1 June 2013

Ponche Shower Gel


I bought a small bottle of this last Christmas (2012) simply because I wanted to buy one of every shower gel to try. I added it to my shelf when it arrived and didn't think much more about it until recently. Luckily, during the Christmas sale, they were selling off bigger bottles for a few pounds, and I opted to buy one of these as well, with the idea that if I didn't like it I could sell it on, but if I did love it, I'd regret not stocking up while I had the chance. 

Let's just say that I wish I have bought another ten bottles, and I only hope
they bring it back this Christmas.
  
Inspired by the traditional Mexican Christmas Punch, this shower gel is a mixture of orange juice and tequila - a bright, boozy, fruity and uplifting shower gel that lingers on the skin and leaves you feeling refreshed and gorgeous. As Lush say themselves, it packs a Ponche!
Made from a mixture of freshly squeezed orange juice, plum and cinnamon infusions, a good shot of tequila and a fruity fragrance, this zesty offering is beautifully light and smells divine. It's a lovely fruity and boozy scent that feels great to use in the morning when you're still half-asleep, and it fills my whole bathroom with its gorgeous scent. 

The orange smell is definitely the prominent scent, which is a good thing as I was worried the tequila would dominate - there is nothing worse than showering with a strong and warm scent of alcohol - yuck!

Despite it being released for Christmas, this shower gel works amazingly well as a summer shower gel, as the light, fruity smell would be a great accompaniment after a long day on the beach. It lathers up really well so you need to use a minimal amount each time. This means my lousy two bottles should hopefully last me until the end of the year
One of my favourite Lush products for sure, and one I'll be waiting for with baited breath this Christmas - perhaps even more so than Snow Fairy!

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Glycerine, Water (Aqua), Plum Infusion, Cinnamon Infusion, Lauryl Betaine, Orange Juice, Perfume, Lactic Acid, Davana Oil, Buchu Oil, Petitgrain Oil, Eugenol, Geraniol, Coumarin, Linalool, Limonene, Colour 15510, Methylparaben.

Vegan?: Yes

2014 Price: £10.25 for 250g.

Scent Family:
Icing On The Cake Shower Smoothie
Ponche Perfume
Ponche Shower Gel

19 comments

  1. Ahh I was hoping you'd review this soon! I saw that you got them on Tumblr and I was excited to see what you thought. Ponche is definitely one of my all-time favorites. I got my boyfriend a bottle for Christmas and I use it as often as he does to be honest- it just smells so darn good!

    -Jenna (gypsyygold on Tumblr)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is one of the nicest smelling shower gels by far - I only hope that Lush release it as a perfume one day because I would buy multiple bottles! Watch out for my new competition as I'll be giving away a bottle of Ponche as one of the prizes. Thank you for checking out my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just bought this from the Kitchen and realised it doesn't contain the Tequila, like before. I wasn't planning to drink it, but I hope it doesn't have a negative impact on the overall scent and experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know - In all honesty, I didn't realise; I was too busy getting excited whilst buying them to check the ingredients - hehe! I will compare the old and new when they arrive and adjust my review to cater for both.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Ooh - that would definitely liven things up! I'm actually tempted to make some homemade Ponche - this might be something I try this weekend. I have to get my tequila in somewhere ;)

      Delete
    2. It's arrived. Smells great from the bottle but can't compare it as I haven't used the old one. What are your initial thoughts?

      Delete
    3. Mine haven't arrived yet! I'm hoping one of my flatmates is in to collect them on Monday so I can have a sniff! I'm glad they smell good to you - I'm hoping there's not much difference as it was perfect just the way it was :)

      Delete
    4. Hey Jen. Did you get around to using the new version yet? I can't say it's my favourite but it's fine. It might sit around for a while until I use up all my Hot Toddy!

      Delete
    5. Hey Joseph - unfortunately, Lush messed up my order and I only discovered last week that it hadn't been processed so I missed out! I'll just have to enjoy my three bottles until it comes around again :)

      Delete
    6. If you really wanna try the new version we could do a swap perhaps?

      Delete
  5. Just managed to pick up a 250g bottle of this for $18.50NZD (a little over 9 pounds), so excited for it!
    - Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know if I could get this somewhere? I bought one two years ago in October and I'm starting to run out of this. :( I get all the happy memories from it, I bought it from London and used first time before meeting a really special person there. They had it in Kitchen a while ago, but I wasn't able to buy it then since my Visa Electron hasn't been working normally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately the only place you'll be able to get this from at the moment is eBay. I would say that you might just have to wait out a few more months because it'll most likely be in the kitchen October/November time! And I feel you - I tried to get some when it came out in the Kitchen last year but my order didn't go through!!

      Delete
    2. You can get it from Lush USA and it's $29.95 for 500 ml, but I'm not sure whether they ship internationally. Hope this helps :) xx

      Delete
  7. Okay so my mom has only liked very few scents of my lush products. She claims they smell "too natural" whatever that means lol. She has always loved orange smelling things and I just got Iced Wine and she said she likes the scent. I understand what she means because many lush products are very strong scented and different than other things people normally smell. Do you think she'd possibly like this? Or should I just order the bright side bubble bar and hope she likes that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you ever try the non-alcohol version of this? I just received mine from the kitchen, and though it smells good in the bottle, the scent is so weak in the shower I can hardly smell it. :-( I'm wondering if this is because of the lack of booze or whether this is a bad batch...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen- I just recieved the non-alcoholic version and I barely smell anything at all. I'm thinking it's because there isn't any tequila in it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who also believes the scent is weak!

      Delete
    2. I would also be curious to know if there is a huge diff in smell between alchohol and without. Mine was alchohol free. I like it, but would've preferred to have tried the original.

      Delete


UP