Recently

29 September 2015

The Icing On The Cake Shower Smoothie Roulade


When it comes to the different scents that Lush offer, it is normally fairly easy to pinpoint the most popular and perhaps what you would call the slightly overused ones in their range - The Comforter, Karma, Celebrate, Calacas, Snow Fairy. However, there are times when the fragrance of a product doesn't reveal itself straight away, only to make you feel like a fool when you finally realise why you've recognised the smell all along. Such is the case with this product. 

The Icing On The Cake Roulade is another one of Lush's new inventions - one that follows the trend of the company's recent move to offer a more solid-orientated shower collection. This shower smoothie doesn't immediately stand out as being exclusively 'Christmas', which is why I was slightly perplexed when it appeared alongside the likes of Golden Wonder and Buche De Noel. However, I only had to give it a few sniffs to realise why it had been featured in the seasonal range, and I couldn't have been more pleased that it was available to buy. 

As the name suggests, you only have to read the ingredients list to feel as if you're reading a recipe for a cake, not something you'd use to clean your body with. With chestnut puree, soya cream, almond milk and various fruit peels, this really does sound like something you'd want to eat, and it isn't for lack of trying that I have to reveal the sad truth of its inedibility. Believe me. 

While it doesn't read the same on paper, this seasonal beauty actually shares its scent with Ponche, which is perhaps my all-time favourite shower gel. Designed to smell like the famous Mexican punch drink, this roulade smells of sweet tangerines intertwined with a splash of buchu and a lick of lime to pad out the aroma. Imagine removing the bitterness of blackcurrants and mixing this with a perfectly ripe tangerine and you might begin to recognise how beautiful the 
fragrance of this product is. 

What sets this apart from the original shower gel is the fact that the 'foody' ingredients remove a little of the citrus smell and incorporate a creamy base note that gives this roulade a slightly sugary element to it. While it doesn't quite top the shower gel variation, this seasonal product is still an amazing offering - one that should be made a permanent member of Lush's range.
Unlike most of the roulades I have tried from Lush, this one was fairly crumbly and I found that I had to break it off into pieces because I wasn't able to use a whole slice under the running water. Having said that, once the roulade was in use, it produced a very thick and silky-smooth lather that was easy to massage across the skin. 

What blew me away was just how strong the fragrance of Ponche came through once the water had come into contact with it. While it's fairly strong in the packet, the scent of the shower smoothie was elevated as soon as it hit the hot water. Even more impressive was the fact that the smell lingered on my skin for hours after I had exited the shower, and I only had to top up with my Ponche Liquid Perfume to relive the experience all over again. 

As with most of the other solid smoothies I have tried, I did find this one slightly drying on my skin. While it left me feeling clean and smelling wonderful, I didn't feel the full benefits that I would have had, had it been a shower gel. This latter point is perhaps the only reason why I haven't given this product full marks, because aside from this, it's near on perfect. 
I will definitely be buying this again before the season is out, and I only hope that Lush choose to extend its shelf life into next year so I can enjoy it for as long as possible. This is by far my favourite shower roulade so far, and this makes a lovely addition to one of my all-time favourite scent families. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Glycerine  Rapeseed Oil; Coconut Oil (Brassica napus; Cocoa nucifera), Almond Milk, Fresh Orange Peel, Lime Peel and Lemon Peel Decoction (Citrus Aurantium dulcis; Citrus aurantifolia; Citrus limonum), Soya Cream, Chestnut Puree (Castanea sativa), Water (Aqua), Perfume, Almond Oil (Prunus dulcis), Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), Davana Oil (Artemisia Pallens), Buchu Oil (Barosma Betulina), Petitgrain Oil (Citrus Aurantium amara), Titanium Dioxide, Sorbitol, Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Cinnamal, Coumarin, Eugenol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Tin Oxide, Colour 17200, Colour 45410, Colour 14700. 

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £5 for 100g.

Year Of Original Release: 2015. 

Scent Family:
Icing On The Cake Shower Smoothie
Ponche Perfume
Ponche Shower Gel


7 comments

  1. Hi Jen!

    Your review has gotten me incredibly excited for this product, I can't wait to get me a big BEEG slice of it to lather myself silly with.

    Just out of curiosity, what was the weight of the piece you purchased, and do you think it would last as long as the equivalent weight in soap? I will most probably need to order my seasonal goodies online, hence all the questions :)

    Thanks in advance!
    Nabeela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen,
    I have very dry skin would you recommend Icing on the Cake for dry skin sufferers. Any advice would be helpful and thanks for replying to my previous questions! :) #llovejen

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are dry you make not like the feel afterward. It is odd how creamy the product feels. Even while in use it feels crewmy but afterward, oddly my skin felt dry

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely one of my favorite lush products ever.

    It smells amazing and has saved my dry winter skin. I ended up stocking up on 600 grams ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you love it! It really was one of the underdogs in last year's Christmas range! I have a large 250g piece that I'm cherishing, and I always have my 5 bottles of Ponche if I run out :)

      Delete
  5. They were sold out of this at Christmas, but after reading your review I knew I had to get one. And FINALLY some showed up on eBay after hawk-eyeing it for over a month. Omg, I loved it so much I hunted down some Ponche gel to go with it! All the solid soaps dry out my delicate ginger skin, but I add a chunk of this to my bath cocktails to get that awesome scent mixed in. Very sweet, love it! So glad you reviewed this or I probably wouldn't have bothered with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I am so glad to hear this! This was such an underrated product and I'm glad my review helped steer you in the direction of this wonderful shower companion! Enjoy!

      Delete


UP