Recently

12 January 2015

Unicorn Horn Bubble Bar


It's not surprising that I rate this product as being one of the most gorgeous looking bubble bars to come from Lush. The stunning array of colours - an almost psychedelic collection of yellows, pinks, purples and turquoises, matched with the candy stars and silver lustre, make this look like a creation out of an exquisite bakery.  

Unicorn Horn Bubble Bar is the creme-de-le-creme of design - the beauty that stands out a mile above most of Lush's other bath products, and one that caused quite a stir when it first made an appearance. Originally made in Japan to celebrate their "White Day", as well as being released to coincide with the 10th anniversary of the Lush International Covent Garden store, this is a bubble bar that made a fleeting visit but a lasting impression. 

When I discovered that it was coming out with Lush's 2015 Valentine's Day range, I was very excited to get my hands on a few and try it out for myself. Without reading any prior reviews, I threw myself through the doors of my local Lush shop and snapped up a handful of the goodies, before heading back home to lavish myself in the bath. 

What is surprising about Unicorn Horn, is that it smells nothing like you'd imagine it would. The design suggests rather a sweet offering - perhaps one that has a note of citrus or floral thrown in for good measure. Instead, this bubble bar has a very light and rather gentle lavender aroma. 

Sharing it's scent with the recent Christmas Hedgehog Bubble Bar and the very popular Noriko Soap, this bubble bar is a delicately sweet and lightly fragranced product that works wonders as a treat to help you settle before bed. It's a little creamy and malty like Twilight, while still retaining a very natural lavender aroma - one that isn't too potent at all.

While it's from the same scent family, I wouldn't say that Unicorn Horn smells identical to the other products. In fact, I actually found that this one had a stronger lavender smell, which I really appreciated as I found Noriko Soap rather bland and boring.
The bubble bar is easy to use and is one of the better value ones. It's very soft to touch and crumbles with ease so just be careful that you have somewhere to store the crumbled pieces until you need them. If you break it over the bath, you may find that you lose a great deal of it in the tub.

It's soft and rather delicate to touch, making it really easy to break into halves or quarters, depending on how many baths you wish to get out of it. If, like me, you enjoy bubbles, I would recommend that you share this across two baths as I found that each half gave me the perfect amount of bubbles. If you're not too fussed about the bubble element, you could probably stretch this across three or four baths, although I don't know how strong the scent would be if you do this. 

After crumbling the bubble bar under the running water, the tub filled up with wonderfully soft and fragrant bubbles - although again, the lavender was strong enough to be appreciated but gentle enough that it wasn't overpowering. Admittedly, there wasn't as many bubbles as I would normally expect for a piece this size, but there was enough to keep most people happy. 

Unicorn Horn let itself down a little when it turned the water a rather boring, murky-coloured mauve. Although I wouldn't normally find this a problem, when I compared the design of the bubble bar to the outcome in the bath, it was a little disappointing. I was expecting a bright and colourful bath and it felt like a bit of an anticlimax when I saw the water.

Having said this, this bubble bar does wonders at calming your body and mind and offering users a really relaxing, soothing bathing experience. I used this before settling down to sleep and I really loved how clean and comforted I felt after I had exited the bath. 

While I think that Lush have wasted this design on a product that doesn't really utilise the many colours it is made up of, I do appreciate that soft and refreshed I felt after I had used it in the bath. I will buy a few more of these - if only to marvel at it's beauty and aid my less than enjoyable sleeping patterns. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Cream of Tartar, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Lauryl Betaine, Cornflour, Perfume, Lavender Oil, Ylang Ylang Oil, Neroli Oil, Citral, Limonene, Linalool, Colour 45350, Colour 45410, Silver Lustre, Snowflake Lustre, Candy Star.

Vegan?: Yes. 

2015 Price: £3.25 each.

Scent Family:
Christmas Hedgehog Bubble Bar
Eyeball Bath Bomb
Noriko Soap
Softy Bath Bomb







4 comments

  1. Wow I was actually looking for a review on this bubble bar. Thankyou so much I love your blog.

    www.lilwallflow3r.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the design was lovely but it didn't do much in the water. I have come to find I don't enjoy bubble bars as much as the bath bombs unfortunately. I find I always burn my hand trying to crumble them under the tap, any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try sprinkling the bubble bar across the tub before running the water - I've seen some people do this and it seems to work for them. Or you could place the bubble bar in a sieve and then holding this under the tap? This works as well! :)

      Delete
  3. Not tempted by this at all, and it's gone up by £1 this year! £4.25 for an insipid bubble bath, nah they can keep that.

    ReplyDelete


UP