Recently

11 November 2014

Squeaky Green Solid Shampoo


As I've mentioned before, I am now a fully fledged solid shampoo lover - I cannot imagine ever going back to the bottled variation. Not only are they really handy to carry with you whilst travelling, without having to worry about spillages, they're also fantastic value for money. A 50g block costs a little over £5 and will last anywhere from 2-6 months - I'd be hard-pressed to stretch a 500g bottle of liquid shampoo for any more than two months, and you're probably looking at paying triple the price for this privilege. 

The only challenge left for me, is to determine which of the nine (soon to be fourteen) solid shampoo bars on offer from Lush, will be the one I use regularly. Squeaky Green was the next one of my list of ones to try, and I was really excited to test it out, if only for its amazing colour. 

This product is made with freshly cut nettles, rosemary and peppermint herbs - a combination that sounds absolutely beautiful as well as highly natural. Described as the first shampoo bar from Lush to feature noodles in the ingredients list, this solid hair care aims to revive and refresh your locks, whilst banishing dandruff and leaving your hair looking and smelling divine. 

As well as the above elements, Squeaky Green also features rose and vanilla absolute; two ingredients which give the bar a slight subtle sweetness and help to balance and calm irritated scalps. Luckily, I'm not one to suffer from a sensitive scalp, but I didn't think it would hurt my chances to improve the condition of my scalp by using this shampoo.

This product also features powdered tea tree and chamomile essential oil - both of which play an important role in the shampoo's overall scent, as well as allowing it to fully cleanse your hair without leaving it dry or stripped of natural oils. 

Altogether, Squeaky Green shares it's scent with the now-discontinued, Go Green - a fragrance that has been released as a perfume as well as a ballistic amongst other products over the years. Recently, I tried Go Green Solid Perfume and instantly fell in love with it, so I was hoping that this shampoo would win my heart over as well. It's a beautiful light and highly refreshingly-natural fragrance and would be best suited for those of you who enjoy Grass Shampoo
For those who are not familiar with Lush's solid shampoo bars, they are different coloured/scented shampoos that have been compacted into 50g rounded chunks. You use them in the same way as you would soap, either rubbing it over your wet hair to create a lather, or massaging it between your palms and applying the lather to your hair. Either way, they work just like a normal shampoo would. 

In addition, these shampoo bars are much better value than their liquid counterparts; firstly, you can get near-enough 80 uses out of a single bar, which works out at just over 7 pence a time. Secondly, the bars don't need to be stored or presented in any packaging so they're environmentally great. Finally, Lush don't have to include any nasty synthetic ingredients to keep them at liquid consistency when at room temperature, making them more natural.  

After using Squeaky Green, my hair was really light and soft and genuinely felt as if it had been given a deep cleanse. Despite feeling quite rough in the shower, once my locks had dried naturally, my hair didn't look dry or greasy - instead I was able to leave it down without straightening it, and it supported my natural wave. 

As someone who dyes their hair on a monthly basis, I always worry that the shampoo I use will strip my hair of colour, or at the very least, cause my colour to fade quicker than it should. After using this solid bar for near on a month, I didn't notice any fading more than the usual wear and tear. 

One thing that I was slightly disappointed by was the strength of the fragrance once it had been applied to the hair. When the product is dry, Squeaky Green has a beautiful scent which reminds me of freshly cut grass - a perfect companion on those hot summer days. However, I could barely smell this in the shower and no remnants of smell stayed on my hair once the conditioner had been applied.

Overall, this shampoo is not the best I have tried but neither is it a terrible shampoo. Having used Gentil LentilIrresistible Bliss and Montalbano, and finding that both of these leave my hair looking incredible, they have both set the barrier for the quality of shampoo I expect. 

Squeaky Green cleans your hair wonderfully, without stripping it of colour or natural lubricant. However, it didn't leave my hair as wonderfully soft as others have done, and for this reason, I will keep searching for my ultimate solid saviour. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Perfume, Methyl Ionone, Rosemary, Nettle, Water (Aqua), Tea Tree Powder, Peppermint, Rose Absolute, Chamomile Blue Oil, Fair Trade Vanilla Absolute, Coumarin, Geraniol, Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Chlorophyllin.

Vegan?: Yes. 

2014 Price: £5.75 each.
2017 Price: £6.25 each.

Scent Family:
Go Green Liquid Body Spray
Go Green Solid Perfume
Green Green Bath Of Foam Bubble Bar
Squeaky Green Solid Shampoo


 

4 comments

  1. Your reviews are very helpful ::)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this really have noodles in?! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have little dried noodles throughout 😀

      Delete
  3. Presumably nettles not noodles?

    ReplyDelete


UP