Recently

30 October 2014

Montalbano Solid Shampoo Bar


I'm going to be honest - when Lush announced that they would be bringing out another six solid shampoo bars, I was a little disappointed. Firstly, I would much rather they bring out a selection of new vegan conditioners as I would love to find an alternate to Veganese. Secondly, it takes forever to test out and review shampoo bars; I knew that these new additions would be a two-three month project, which is a commitment I will have problems fitting into my very busy schedule. However, there was a part of me that was slightly excited to see these new products released into the shops and so I snapped them all up when they made an appearance in the Lush Kitchen.

Montalbano Solid Shampoo was the first of the lot to be released, and having read it's write-up, I was really excited to try it out. Crammed full of amazing ingredients, this product sounds almost good enough to eat. When it arrived, my initial reaction was intensified tenfold, and I had to fight away the urge to sink my teeth into this beautiful bar. 

The inclusion of lemon oil, lemon juice, lemon peel, lemon peel powder and lemon myrtle oil means that this shampoo bar is a highly citrusy and gorgeously zesty addition to the shampoo family. An initial sniff reveals that this bar smells a lot like Stepping Stone Scrub - a bright, almost sour natural lemon smell that's incredibly uplifting and rather potent to the senses. Be prepared to have this overpower pretty much any other cosmetic that you may have in the bathroom - it definitely makes a statement.

Lemon harvests a powerhouse of redeeming qualities for both the skin and hair - it cleanses and rejuvenates hair without stripping away the essential oils needed to keep your locks moist and in good condition. The high concentration of vitamin C also helps to give your hair it's natural shine and will leave your locks with a natural glow. 

The inclusion of green olives, which at first sounds a little strange, helps to strengthen hair and they also add a very subtle bitterness to the overall aroma of this product. The olives are included as little pieces which sit throughout the bar and they wash away easily without getting caught in your hair.

Montalbano is one of the most generous solid shampoo bars - lathering up the very instant it comes into contact with water. In fact, I would recommend that you're quite scrupulous when it comes to the application of this shampoo and only lather it across your hair for about 2-3 seconds. The bar is generous during use - creating a thick and very soft foam that immediately makes your hair feel smoother. The smell of this incredible product remains poignant throughout the whole experience, although I was a little disappointed to discover that I couldn't detect it once I applied my conditioner afterwards. 

This shampoo is amazing - leaving your hair feeling really silky soft and well-nourished from the word go. My hair is quite thin naturally but can often develop a frizzy wave that prevents me from being able to wear my hair down without straightening it first. Montalbano reduced this frizziness without flattening my natural wave, and I have been able to wear my hair down without using any other products to control the stray strands.

Furthermore, I usually find that I have to wash my hair most days as some shampoos leave it feeling slightly greasy by the end of the day. With this product, I have been able to reduce this down to every other day, which above everything else, saves me money and time. 

My hair has a natural shine to it which really brings out my highlights - this is without making it look greasy. Finally, in the two weeks that I have been using this shampoo bar, I have not noticed any fading of my hair dye and if anything, it's only heightened the different colours that are present. 

I was really not expecting to get these results with this shampoo bar, and if anything, it's only got me more excited about trying out the other ones when they arrive. This is the first permanent solid shampoo bar that I've awarded full marks for, and I'm really excited that Lush will now have a product I can buy regularly without having to stock up when it makes a fleeting visit. If you're not sure whether or not to invest in this product, I hope that this review will convince you to give it a whirl - it may just steal your heart.

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Green Olives (Olea europaea), Sicilian Lemon Oil, Fresh Lemon Juice, Lemon Peel, Popping Candy, Lemon Peel Powder, Rosemary Absolute, Organic Lemon Myrtle Oil, Citral, Geraniol, Limonene, Perfume, Gardenia Extract.

Vegan?: Yes.

2014 Price: £5.75


11 comments

  1. When will these be released again? I'm dying to try ALL of them ha!! Is it ok to buy them all at once or is it better to just buy one, use it up, and then buy another?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rumours are circulating that they'll be released this month, although how true this is, I don't know. They all sound so amazing, don't they? I'm currently using Jason And The Argon Oil and it's equally as gorgeous as this one! Given that these bars are permanent, I would recommend that you buy one at a time as I found that they lose their scent a little after a few months and I like having a new bar to use so I know my hair is going to be in the freshest hands.

      Having said that, how you're going to choose which one to buy when all 6 of them are sitting pretty in the shop, I have no idea :)

      Delete
  2. Oh ok, I hope they come soon. They all sound amazing foe sure. I know I want to try the Jason and the Argan Oil, and the coffee one as well, but now you're making me want to try this one and I didn't even have it on my list at first lol. You sure are a convincing reviewer ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that I've convinced you to part with your hard earned money - I hope it is worth every penny. I would love to hear how you got on once you've tried it.

      Delete
  3. Oh don't ever be sorry ha... it's actually the girl I had photograph my wedding that got me hooked ;) I love Lush... we all have our addictions and this is mine lol. I just love reading your reviews because they're very detailed, and that is a good thing. I don't live near a Lush so my only option is to order online, that's why I read reviews so I know what the products smell like. I can't wait for the new shampoo bars to come online permanently... I will definitely let you know how I feel about this one when I'm able to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Popping candy in a shampoo bar? What does it do for your hair? I'm intrigued by this bar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all fairness - it hasn't done much to my hair at all, although that's not to say that it has and I'm just not recognising it's worth in the shampoo! It's a marvellous shampoo either way, so it certainly hasn't been detrimental to the finished product!

      Delete
  5. Absolute favorite shampoo bar! I've already made my way through the first one I bought. I will admit the olive chunks were a little offputting initially but it's a tiny flaw in a great product.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to try out a new shampoo bar and I'm choosing between this and Brazilliant as they seem to have worked wonders for you!! Between Montalbano and Brazilliant though, which one would leave your hair softer? I just smelled both of them at my lush store and I am in love with the citrus scents they both have!
    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have nice chunk of sample of Montalbano, that someone included as a freebie in my Ebay purchase, that I haven't tried out yet. Now, I can't wait, It sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love love love this shampoo bar! I have super thick and long hair, and this bar has lasted me such a long time. It gives my hair a nice shine to it without stripping it of its natural oils. I also really love the smell of this product as well. I highly recommend this product and so does my boyfriend, who introduced this product to me.

    It was his first time at Lush and he bought the solid shampoo bar. I've never tried one, so I borrowed it for a day, just to try it and I absolutely loved it. However, he didn't want to share it with me and so I bought my own. THAT is how much my boyfriend loves this product.

    ReplyDelete


UP