Recently

23 November 2014

Elixir Bubble Bar


My first experience with the Elixir family was back when the Lush Kitchen first began to release older products from years gone by. I managed to pick up an Elixir Bath Melt, and while I was not initially bowled over by the description, I soon fell in love with it once it had arrived in the post. 

Elixir Bubble Bar is one those products that seems to get overlooked by a lot of Lush fans - you don't often hear people requesting it through the kitchen and it's not a product that comes up on people's 'most wanted' lists. However, it's one of those items that once you've experienced it, it becomes a firm favourite. 

Packed full of essential oils - almond, ginger, coriander, grapefruit and cardamon, this bubble bar is like a solid version of a cup of herbal tea. When you first sniff this bar, you get a very distinctive citrus smell - like freshly squeezed lemons with a sweet, spicy hint of cardamon. However, the more you're exposed to it's fragrance, the more you begin to pick out the herbal elements of the coriander and the floral notes from the jasmine and rose. Although they don't share the same scent, fans of Chai Shower Gel will no doubt love this fragrance. It has so many layers to it, while retaining a gentle and rather exquisite aroma. 

Unfortunately, my bar was a little old when I received it so the decorations on top were not as prominent or as beautiful as a fresh one would offer. Elixir is normally topped with an array of dried rose petals and jasmine flowers that float on the surface during the bath and give it that extra special touch. These bits can be a little annoying for those who don't enjoy having anything in the bath with them, but I didn't think there was enough to spoil my enjoyment. 

The most disappointing aspect about this bubble bar is it's productivity. The bar itself is huge so I was expecting to break it into 2-3 pieces and use it across as many baths. However, after crumbling a third under the running tap, I found that Elixir doesn't produce nearly as many bubbles as most other bubble bars. In fact, I ended up using the whole bar in a single bath and still not getting anywhere near the amount I would expect. While some people may say that the age of the product plays a strong factor in this, I have used far older bubble bars and experienced much better results. 

What I did appreciate was the fact that all of the oils, as well as the inclusion of cocoa butter, meant that this bubble bar was very moisturising. The water was smooth and velvety soft and this meant that my skin felt really nourished once I had exited the bath. There is a very subtle hint of the smell left on your skin after use, but it doesn't stay around for long. 
Despite it's gentle scent when dry, this bubble bar does retain the same strength in the bath. It's definitely one of the most subtle-smelling bars, but I'm sure this will appeal to those who don't enjoy overwhelming scents. I would love to try out a fresh one of these to see if the amount of scent I got was because of it's age, or whether it's one of those 'quieter' smelling ones by nature.

Overall, I did enjoy Elixir - the subtle aroma and design helped to create a calm, sensual but equally revitalising bathing experience. The combined herbal, floral and citrus smell makes this a perfect product to use in the autumn and spring months, and works well at moisturising your skin when an Elixir Bath Melt might be too intense. I would love to see this make a comeback, perhaps around Mother's Day or Easter, and I would definitely buy a couple more to try. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Cream of Tartar (Tartaric acid), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), Laureth 4, Cocamide DEA, Sweet Almond Oil (Prunus dulcis), Jasmine Flowers (Jasminum officinale), Fresh Rose Petals (Rosa centifolia), Coltsfoot Leaf (Tussilago farfara), Grapefruit Oil (Citrus grandis), Ginger Oil (Zingiber officinale), Cardamom Oil (Elettaria cardamomum), Coriander Oil (Coriandrum sativum), Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Perfume. 

Vegan?: Yes.




1 comment

  1. The sharing of your attachment of video which is really amazing and impressive. Thanks a lot.

    Easy Dry | Pull and Dry | Buy mop Online

    ReplyDelete


UP