Recently

30 April 2014

Elixir Bath Melt


I've been working out quite a bit as of late and I've been craving bath melts more frequently than usual. My poor limbs have been overworked as they've grown fairly accustomed to relaxing in front of the television in the evenings, not slaving away on the treadmill. I've developed dry patches on the base of my feet and the muscles in my arms and legs have been crying out for that extra bit of affection. So I was rather intrigued when Lush chose to release a limited edition bath melt last week. 

Elixir is by no means a 'new' product. First released way back in 2001, this bath melt has seen many design changes over the years; most recently in 2007, when Lush chose to remove the glitter and blue facade and present it as a simple white block with dried red rose petals under the surface. Fast forward to 2014, and the same design is back. 

Made from a combination of ginger oil - a peppery ingredient that gives the bath melt a wholesome note, and cardamon - another spicy addition, this product smells divine. Initially, I was convinced that I wouldn't enjoy it all that much, simply because ginger is my least favourite fragrance. However, alongside the ylang ylang and almond oils and the rose petals, the ginger remains at the forefront, yet it's not as overpowering as it is in other ginger-smelling cosmetics. This bath melt produces a wonderful combination of smells, and is almost reminiscent of the candied ginger that my Grandad used to buy at Christmas.

The cocoa butter, almond oil and ginger creates a slightly spicy, chocolately fragrance - something I was not expecting at all from this bath melt and something that only added to my enjoyment of the product as a whole.  

Much like my favourite You've Been Mangoed Bath Melt, and indeed all of the bath melts that the company offer, Elixir 's main purpose is help moisturise and hydrate your skin, leaving it feeling baby-soft and invigorated. This luxury bath melt contains a whole host of oils alongside cocoa butter, all rich in antioxidants which help to heal and condition skin; almond oil is an unscented but highly nutritious oil with a high vitamin E content. When used in cosmetics, it helps to smoothen the skin and leave it feeling silky soft; lavender oil can be used to heal skin inflictions and soothe muscular discomfort. Furthermore, it can also calm the mind and aid restful sleep. Alongside cocoa butter, which soothes itchy and irritated skin, this luxury bath melt is a powerhouse of ingredients. 

When placed in hot water, the bath melt begins to melt slowly, dispersing essential oils across the surface and softening the water throughout. As you soak, these oils are moisturising and repairing your body, leaving your skin feeling velvety soft and refreshed. When you exit the bath,you can really feel how smooth and silky your skin is; I love the way that this melt makes my skin feel!

Elixir took it's time to fully dissolve, which meant that I was able to relax in the water while it was doing so. As it dispersed throughout the tub, the rose scent was more defined and the ginger smell did heighten a little, without being overpowering. The oils themselves were lovely and soft on the skin, but the bath was not as moisturising as other bath melts I have tried. Whereas I would expect the droplets of oil to be present on the surface of the water while the product is melting, I didn't see this at all and so the texture of my skin didn't alter all that much during my experience. 

Lush claim that this bath melt revives and rejuvenates your body, and I definitely felt far more contented after my bath than I had done before. My skin was also definitely smoother and more moisturised, however, whereas the oils in You've Been Mangoed permeated the water and instantly left your skin feeling velvety-soft, Elixir didn't do anymore than your average bubble bar would do. 

Despite this, I really enjoyed this bath melt and it's scent did stay with me throughout the duration of the bath. My muscles felt less tense after using this, and there was a definite improvement when it came to the dry patches on my feet. The red rose petals looked pretty, floating on the surface of the water, although I would have preferred if these had not been present at all (it was a little annoying having to pick these out of the plughole afterwards).  

Although this wouldn't be my first choice, I would definitely be interested in picking up a couple more of these as they're a perfect reward after a long day's work. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Cocoa Butter, Laureth 4, Almond Oil, Perfume, Dried Red Rose Petals, Ginger Oil, Cardamom Oil, Neroli Oil, Ylang Ylang Oil, Citral, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool.

Vegan?: Yes.

Scent Family:
Elixir Bath Melt
Elixir Bubble Bar

2015 Price: £4 each.
2016 Price: £4 each.
2016 Price: £4.25 each.



4 comments

  1. I snagged one of these from the kitchen a few weeks ago and I'm so excited about it! Ginger is my favorite scent so I can't decide if I want to use it right away or stash it away for a rainy day. I would love for them to add this to their permanent range!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got one too but I think it has a very strong vinegar scent to me... Don't like it at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I home school my two teenagers and when I found this article I knew I had to make them read it. They did and we all really learned something from it. Thank you for helping us. elixir definition Define Dictionary Meaning. A simple vocabulary sharing platform. Dedicated to learn and share knowledge by defining words and concepts in short and easy English. Define your own words and their meanings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You managed to really load this article up with information that is of real value. I appreciate good writing, and this is really good. I agree with the points you make here. Very nice work. A tincture with more than one base; a compound tincture or medicine, composed of various substances, held in solution by alcoholic some form. This page shows you usage and meanings of elixir definition around the world.

    ReplyDelete


UP