Recently

24 October 2014

Golden Slumbers Bath Bomb


Golden Slumbers is not what I imagined it to be at all - ignoring it's name and the very reason Lush decided to craft this bath bomb in the first place. Basing my presumptions on design alone, I imagined this ballistic to be a citrus affair, with perhaps a little neroli or patchouli to pad out the fragrance; something that wasn't that far off Golden Wonder.


I was rather surprised and equally intrigued to find that this bath bomb contains a combination of lavender, chamomile and neroli - a herbal concoction that has been created to aid sleep and relaxation while cleansing and moisturising the skin. 

What is refreshing about this ballistic is that it smells incredibly natural - the inclusion of the lavender sprigs, oil and absolute creates a beautiful aroma that is strong and persistent throughout the whole experience, but not overwhelming or too heavy. This is not like the lavender you would find in most high street cosmetics - that synthetic, overly-manufactured fragrance. Instead, this is a bath bomb that smells exactly like a sprig of freshly picked lavender, which makes it even more beautiful.  


The inclusion of neroli oil adds a gentle but equally uplifting green floral aroma to the product - a smell that intensifies when the bath bomb is added to water; the chamomile oil adds a slight sweet, floral honey aroma that brings the entire fragrance together and makes this a wonderful experience. While I didn't think I would be all-that impressed by Golden Slumbers, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I adored it. 

Although this is a bath bomb that has been going for a number of years, Lush decided to revamp its design for their Oxford Street store opening in 2015. While the old ballistic featured a modest layer of golden lustre on the surface as a final touch, the new and improved addition has the glitter threaded throughout the entire product. In fact, I was pretty blown away when I saw just how sparkly and magical this bath bomb looked before and during use in the water. 


When this bath bomb first hits the water, it immediately begins to fizz - creating waves of frothy golden foam that spreads out across the surface of the tub and paints the water a stunning metallic shade. While the old design released small sprigs of fresh lavender as decoration, the revamped edition doesn't have this - instead releasing wave after wave of golden swirls of glitter. 

While glitter-phobes may be put-off by watching my video or viewing the pictures that accompany this review, I can assure you that this product does not leave your bath in a mess - neither does it coat your skin or your hair in unwanted glitter. In all fairness, I was rather nervous about getting into this bath for these very reasons, but found that I had a very pleasant experience and didn't leave the tub feeling or looking like a human glitter ball. 

What was great about this ballistic is that the smell remained prominent throughout my entire bathing experience and really helped to unwind my thoughts and relax my body. It was noticeable how calm I felt during and after using this product, and although none of the wonderful aroma rubbed off onto my skin, I did feel ready for bed once I had used this. 

The combination of lavender and chamomile is purportedly great at aiding sleep, and I really wish I had had a few more of these around the time I was suffering from mild insomnia a few months back. While you can currently purchase both Ickle Baby Bot and French Kiss if you enjoy lavender scents, I feel that this bath bomb triumphs over both of these and should be brought back as a regular product. I really hope that Lush recognise the popularity of this and release it as a single product in stores across the country, as I am not willing to invest in multiple Lush Spa Gift Sets to stock up. However, if you're tempted to buy one of these sets, I would recommend that you do - if only to experience this bath bomb for yourself, or head on down to the flagship store and pick up a few while you still can.


Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Citric acid, Lavender Sprigs, Lavender Oil, Chamomile oil, Lavender absolute, Neroli oil, Perfume, Linalool, Golden Lustre Sparkle.


Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £3.95 each.
2016 Price: £3.95 each.


Scent Family:



Old Edition:


New Edition:



9 comments

  1. Does this smell like black pearl shower gel? Since that is also lavender and chamomile?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has similarities but Black Pearl is much sweeter and has almost a fruity smell that you don't get with this bath bomb.

      Delete
  2. I'm afraid I have to differ about the mess. While this was a beautiful bath bomb, and I loved the gold glitter, it left bright yellow splashes all around the bath and heaps of glitter in the bottom. The latter was easily rinsed away although it took a while, but I had to get busy wiping all the yellow stains away. Rather spoils the relaxing effect of the bath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no! That's such a shame! I find that there are only a couple of products that naturally stain my bath and the majority will only leave a mess if my bath has any sort of limescale on it or if it hasn't been cleaned in a while and has accumulated residue around the outside. Could that have been the case for you?

      Delete
  3. Let me clarify that it didn't leave a stain as I wiped it all away at once. Whether it would have been more difficult to remove had I left it for later, I can't say. But I've used various bath bombs recently, and none of the others have left any colour behind, so I don't think limescale was a factor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that I only tend to get a stain if I use this amazing bath bomb in conjunction with a bath melt or oil. Otherwise, its an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so thrilled that they brought this back recently. It is, by far, my favorite bath bomb. Luckily, I was able to snag enough to last me the entire year. I, unfortunately, also have bouts of insomnia, and I take more 2am baths than I care to admit, and this really helps me to fall asleep. Although, I did ask for the Gift set for Christmas, because I really want to try the Dreamtime temple balm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so thrilled that they brought this back recently. It is, by far, my favorite bath bomb. Luckily, I was able to snag enough to last me the entire year. I, unfortunately, also have bouts of insomnia, and I take more 2am baths than I care to admit, and this really helps me to fall asleep. Although, I did ask for the Gift set for Christmas, because I really want to try the Dreamtime temple balm!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love Dreamtime - it smells so delicious! And Golden Slumbers has definitely gone up in my estimations - it helps me to unwind an awful lot and the newly reformulated version is stunning, right?

      Delete


UP