Recently

4 February 2014

Glogg Shower Gel



My favourite winter spice is definitely cinnamon - it's a warm, spicy scent that perks me up; a real comforting fragrance that reminds me of mulled wine and homemade mince pies. It is around December that I find myself stocking up on cinnamon soy candles to burn in the bitter evenings and ordering Christmas-spiced vegan hot chocolate at Starbucks. So it's only natural then that I'd want to collate as many cinnamon-scented cosmetics as I could. This year Lush have spoilt me by releasing both the Hot Toddy Bubble Bar and Glogg Shower Gel during their December retro selection. 

The shower gel boasts a beautiful fresh, natural aromatic scent. Lush have added a concoction of cinnamon sticks and cloves to give it that peppery fragrance, before adding freshly squeezed organic orange and lemon juice, a dash of red wine and a shot of brandy. These ingredients work well together, creating a smell reminiscent of the Christmas cake mixture that my mum makes every year. To top it all off, the shower gel is finished with a blend of wonderful warming essential oils; a hint of orange and lime to give the product that uplifting, refreshing smell that is needed to balance everything out. 

What I love about Glogg is how natural and light it smells. For a product with so many scents, you would expect it to be rather heavy and overpowering - this is not the case. Although it is a strong scent, and those of you who don't like cinnamon will no doubt hate this shower gel, the scent it does possess is a perfect balance of spice and zest.
You can definitely smell the alcohol here, although it's tucked nicely underneath the cinnamon, cloves and orange scent. I cannot stand Brandy, but I didn't have any issues with it's scent being present here. In fact, I felt that it acts as a sort of base on which the winter spices can work from. Glogg really captivates everything wonderful about Christmas - it's spicy, it's boozy, it's fruity, and makes a great cosmetic blanket to hide beneath when the winter chills threaten to dash your high-spirits.

The warm spicy smell lingers on the skin for hours after use, giving you a subtle reminder that not everything about the cold is so terrible. Lush say that 'this shower gel will warm the cockles of your heart and bring life back to your extremities when you have got too cold. Also great as a pick-me-up to get you going on cold days. Winter is just so much easier to face with Glogg.' I couldn't agree more.

The gel is a rich, dark orangey red colour and is similar in consistency to the likes of Grass and Ponche. It lathers up very nicely in the shower and makes your skin feel instantly soft. A word of warning; this shower gel is slightly thinner than the aforementioned gels, so be careful when using it as it tends to shoot out of the bottle.

Overall, it's not a shower gel I would enjoy using in the warmer months; it's got a very seasonal smell that would seem out of place in the summer. However, when the temperature starts to drop, Glogg will be my first port of call to help me through those dark evenings and make a speedy exit from the depressive winter.
Quantitative Ingredients: Cinnamon Stick and Fair Trade Clove Infusion, Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Fresh Organic Orange Juice, Propylene Glycol, Red Wine, Fresh Organic Lemon Juice, Fine Sea Salt, Patchouli Oil, Sweet Orange Oil, Clove Leaf Oil, Lime Oil, Cinnamon Leaf Oil, Benzoin Resinoid, Brandy, *Cinnamal, *Coumarin, *Eugenol, Limonene, *Linalool, Perfume, Colour 14700, Methylparaben.

Vegan?: Yes

2015 Price: £11.00 for 250g.
2016 Price: £11.00 for 250g.

Scent Family:
Glogg Shower Gel

6 comments

  1. Whilst I don't enjoy cinnamon smells, I haven't tried this before and still feel compelled to buy a bottle when it comes out in the kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just picked up my bottle from the kitchen!

      Delete
  2. Since it's getting colder and this seems to be perfect for winter time, I picked up a bottle at the Kitchen based on your review. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey will you do a Ginger shower gel blog post? i saw you had it stocked on your YouTube videos :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in the works - just have to get through all of this seasonal stuff :)

      Delete
  4. I cannot find this retired scent in the USA. I only have one bottle remaining. Does anyone have any recommendations for where I can purchase more?

    ReplyDelete


UP