Recently

21 January 2015

Happy Blooming Shower Jelly



I've often wondered how Lush choose whether or not to make a scent into a shower jelly or a shower gel. I'm also intrigued to know which format is more cost effective for them, and which works out better value for the consumer - and whether these two correlate in any way. As I've said numerous times, I will always vote for the shower gel, and this is one such product that I wish they would translate into a liquid format.

Happy Blooming Shower Jelly is a limited edition product that came out a couple of years ago on the international forum - a product that was released to celebrate Lush's 10th year online. It was released after the bath melt of the same name proved to be incredibly popular. Sporting a strong signature cherry scent, this product is a great alternative for those who want something sweet but dislike the sugary variations available from Lush. 

This is definitely as natural as you can get. I have always claimed to adore cherry-scented cosmetics, but it was not until two gorgeous tubs of this shower jelly turned up on my doorstep, that I realised I had been experiencing nasty, watered-down synthetic versions up until this point.

Happy Blooming smells like a punnet of freshly picked morello cherries - a sultry, sophisticated and rather wholesome fragrance that has a scent stronger than any other shower jelly I have tried so far. Coconut is also a featured ingredient in the product but I found that I didn't detect much of this in the tub, and there was only a faint hint of it when being used in the shower.

As well the ingredients that give the jelly it's scent, you'll also find a combination of coconut cream and carrageenan extract (seaweed). Both of these ingredients help to give this product a wonderfully smooth consistency that works well at softening and moisturising your skin in the shower. Happy Blooming did leave my skin looking radiant and feeling like velvet afterwards, which was fantastic.

Another aspect that makes this shower jelly so appealing, is the gorgeous deep red that the product is presented as. I loved the fact that in the tub, it looks almost wine-red with elements of purple, yet when it's being used, it takes on more of a cherry-red complexion. It's visually stunning and very eye-catching. 

There are several ways that you can use any of Lush's shower jellies; Firstly, you can break a small piece off (or select a piece that's been segmented prior to your shower) and rub the block directly onto your skin. The amount of lather this creates differentiates vastly depending on the type of jelly, how old the product is and the size of the piece you're using. While some users find this way works for them, I find that this is fairly ineffective as it does not create much of a lather and the jelly becomes too wet, making it slippery and difficult to hold on to. 

Secondly, you can use a shower sponge, puff or exfoliating glove to create a lather before rubbing it all over your body. For me, I found this method far more successful as it helped to break down the jelly properly and create a nice foamy effect to wash your body with. Finally, you can break off slabs of the jelly and use them as you would a bubble bar, placing them underneath a running tap to stimulate bubbles. I tend to use mine for this reason, as I can get 20+ baths out of one 250g tub, which I consider to be great value for money.
Happy Blooming amasses a substantial amount of creamy foam, which makes it one of the easiest shower jellies to work with. For one of my tubs, I segmented my whole chunk of jelly into 1cm cubes and found that a single piece gave me enough lather to last me for the entirety of the shower. 

I thoroughly enjoyed using this jelly and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a few more tubs if this was brought back. It's effective at cleaning your skin and leaving it wonderfully smooth, whilst also being more moisturising than a lot of the shower gels. The fragrance it possesses is also strong enough that it permeates your skin and acts as an alternative to a perfume - the scent will linger on your skin and on any clothes that you come into contact with - this is definitely not a jelly you want to use if you dislike strong smells.

One 250g tub lasted me almost two months, and I found myself getting rather upset when I was nearing the end. Lush need to offer fans more products scented with this smell as it's sweet without being predominantly feminine. Another firm favourite for me. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Glycerine, Cherry Infusion (Prunus cerasus), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Propylene Glycol, Coconut Water (cocos nucifera), Carrageenan Extract (Chondrus crispus), Coconut Cream (Cocos nucifera), Perfume, Benzoin Resinoid (Styrax tonkinensis pierre), Ylang Ylang Oil (Cananga odorata), Colour 17200, Colour 73360, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

Vegan?: Yes. 

Year Of Original Release: ?


2016 Price: £8.25 for 250g.

2017 Price: £8.50 for 250g.

Scent Family:
Cherry Blossom Reusable Bubble Bar
Happy Blooming Bath Melt
Happy Blooming Body Lotion
Happy Blooming Shower Jelly

Happy Blooming Solid Perfume

10 comments

  1. Wow I hope they make this in the kitchen!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot see them not doing so - it would be amazingly popular!

      Delete
  2. This sounds amazing!!!!! 😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Happy Blooming! I wish they would bring it back as a permanent edition as it's one of my favourite bath products.

    So I can only imagine this smells amazing! I'm so gutted I wasn't in the UK when they came out. :(

    http://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can really imagine them bringing this out in the Lush Kitchen as it's such a notoriously popular product, even though most of the people that rave about it have never actually tried it. I can imagine it coming out at the beginning of the warmer weather...

      Delete
  4. This is coming to the kitchen tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is the smell of this jelly similar to Sweetie pie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. While they both have coconut elements to them, and they both have that 'cherry' element, I think they're distinctively different. However, I cannot see how if you like one, you wouldn't like the other!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I'll try to get some in the kitchen this week

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete


UP