Recently

6 November 2014

The Voice Of Reason Liquid Perfume


It's hard to believe that it's been over seven years since the smoking ban came into effect in the UK. Not that it affected me as I was never one to smoke, but this was the first thought that came to my mind when I tried out The Voice Of Reason for the first time.  

This perfume is definitely an acquired taste, smelling like 'the hum of a late night, an ashtray filled, a tumbler emptied and a dog-eared notebook. A perfume to open the doors of perception.' I'm not normally one for words, but this is a fragrance that consumed my every thought until I relented and brought myself a tester bottle to use. 

Made from a combination of Buddha wood, sandalwood, and rose, this is another one of those perfumes that smells completely different inside the bottle as it does on the skin. It is the former ingredient that dominates it's scent; exuding a powerful woody aroma with meaty and leathery smoky notes.

In the bottle, this perfume reminds me of whiskey; that dry, smoky scent not unlike the smell you'd expect to come from a bonfire. It's a very pungent, masculine and powdery scent with the slightest hint of the rose oil coming through, giving it a gentle sweetness that pads the fragrance out a little. My first impressions weren't particularly positive, as I hate the smell and taste of whiskey, so to wear something that reminded me of Jack Daniels, was not an appealing notion.

However, on the skin, this perfume takes on a life of it's own and smells completely different to how it does when it's resting in the glass bottle. It develops into a sweet tobacco scent that ever so slowly blends into a sandalwood and vanilla bean combination, before fading into a subtle and gentle rose. On your skin, that smokiness makes way to a spicy, sultry and very rich scent. It's much warmer on the skin and the rose and sandalwood work together to produce a beautiful, unisex fragrance that lasts for hours and hours.
The Voice Of Reason is laced with connotations from the 60's and 70's, reminding me of the Jazz clubs that littered the streets back then. It conjures up smoky, bustling bars reeking of cologne, tobacco and whiskey; a sentiment this fragrance echos wonderfully. I thought this was going to be a perfume I hated but I'm so glad I gave it a chance to shine.

It's not one I use regularly as I really feel this should be used sparingly and only for certain occasions. However, I think it works wonderfully when applied before a night out, and I've gotten so many compliments since wearing this out. An surprising addition to my favourite perfume family. 

Quantitative Ingredients: DRF Alcohol, Perfume, Sandalwood Oil, Buddah Wood Oil, Rose Oil, Coumarin, Geraniol, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Cinnamate, Linalool, Citral, Eugenol, Citronellol, Farnesol, Cinnamal.

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: ?

Scent Family:
The Voice of Reason Candle

The Voice Of Reason Liquid Perfume


3 comments

  1. Stop making me want things I cannot have! :( haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one of these available if anyone would like one - I just found it in the bottom of my drawer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Millie, I'm interested in your bottle of TVOR. Please contact me! X

    ReplyDelete


UP