Recently

8 November 2014

Bon Bain Bonnard Bath Bomb


Whenever Sunday evening comes around and it's time to find out what Lush are planning to release for the week ahead, the voice inside of me is always rooting for as many bathing products as possible. While shower gels are my Achilles heel, I have so many to get through, all of which will take me from 3 weeks to a couple of months to finish - I really don't need any more at the moment. Bath bombs and bubble bars are a lot easier to use up and there are just so many old ones that I want to try. 

I was excited then, when Lush announced that they would be bringing out Bon Bain Bonnard Bath Bomb - a product that plays homage to Pierre Bonnard who was a French painter in the late 19th Century. One particular painting of his, which depicts a naked figure in the bath, is cleverly made up of tiny, multicoloured dots of colour which give the piece of artwork amazing texture and vividity. 

This ballistic is decorated with grains of coloured course salt which is supposed to represent the style of the painting and sets it apart from most of Lush's other bath bombs. These pretty grains dissolve instantly when coming into contact with water and unfortunately don't alter the colour of your bath, but they are definitely unique and offer consumers something a little different to appreciate.
With very little ingredients to it's name, I was expecting it to be a rather gentle fragrance, so I was surprised when the bombs arrived and I could immediately detect a very pronounced, potent yet simplistic smell. I have heard many people describing this ballistic as being like Sakura, and I can definitely see the similarity. While they're not identical, Bon Bain Bonnard serves as the richer, sweeter and slightly heavier bath bomb of the two. 

While the smell of Bon Bain Bonnard is a floral one, it's a very refreshing and rather unique scent - like freshly washed linen or cherry blossom trees. The inclusion of orange flower gives it a rather uplifting note that hints at a fruity, citrus note, while the gardenia extract ensures it possesses a strong floral note to tie it all together. To me, it's smells like Sakura intertwined with elements of Snowcake

Unfortunately, like the aforementioned bath bomb, this one not only dissolves quickly, but doesn't add any colour or interesting features to your bath. When Bon Bain Bonnard hits the water, it immediately begins to fizz - dispersing in under a minute and leaving nothing but a thin layer of oil on the surface. The water remains the same colour and the only evidence I had that I'd even used a bath bomb was the strong smell that remained prominent throughout the entire bathing experience. 

How this ballistic makes up for it's lack of performance is that it contains a heap of sea salt - a natural mineral that efficiently cleans, softens and hydrates the skin, removing dead skin cells without stripping away too much natural oil. This bath bomb is incredibly moisturising and within five minutes of being in the bath, I could feel the difference that it had made with my skin. 

For this reason, this product is a great winter warmer - a bath bomb that will offer the user something refreshing and uplifting while soothing dry and weathered skin. The gentle scent of orange flower remains on you after the bath, and works well with most perfumes that you wish to apply afterwards.

I am so glad that I bought a surplus of these as I can see them coming in really handy over the coming months - especially when the harshness of the cold weather will try its best to diminish the hard work I have put into keeping my body well-moisturised and balanced over the summer. If Lush bring this back out in the kitchen, I suggest you get yourself a couple to try out - you won't regret it.

Quantitative Ingredients:
Sodium Bicarbonate, Citric Acid, Coarse Atlantic Sea Salt, Perfume, Orange Flower Absolute (Citrus Aurantium Amara), Gardenia Extract (Gardenia Jasminoides), Benzyl Salicylate, Geraniol, Benzyl Benzoate, Linalool. 

Vegan?: Yes.

2014 Price: £3.95




3 comments

  1. What bubble bar would you recommend using with this bath bomb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say Pop In The Bath would work well at bringing out the 'Snowcake' element to it. Although, if you can get your hands on a Dorothy, that would be much better suited :)

      Delete
  2. I think these smell like Dorothy...though admittedly I haven't tried one since about 2012.

    ReplyDelete


UP