Recently

18 April 2014

Sakura Bath Bomb


Sakura bath ballistic is a Japanese-themed bath bomb, first released back in 2006. Sharing it's scent with the popular Rub Rub Rub Shower Scrub and the lesser-known 17 Cherry Tree Lane Soap, Sakura translates as meaning 'cherry blossom'; a rather strange title to give a product, which I don't think, represents this in any way, shape or form. 

Scented with mimosa, jasmine, orange flower blossom and lemon oil, you would assume that this ballistic would be a rather fruity concoction. However, if I hadn't known that it shared it's scent with the above products, I would have been very surprised with what greeted me after opening the packet. 

To me, this bath bomb smells of a combination of sea salt and lemon - it's an almost savoury smell that wouldn't go amiss standing on the cliff tops during a stormy day. I can almost envisage the ocean lapping against the base of the coastline, while the excess salt from the sea swarms in the air and travels up your nose. It's a very fresh, clinical fragrance which does smell extremely potent before it has been dropped into the bath. Initially, I wasn't too keen on it, despite being a big fan of Rub Rub Rub. It's one thing to use the salty scrub to refresh and exfoliate your skin; it's another to bathe in, what is essentially salt.

However, once the bath bomb has dissolved in the water, the gentle floral elements of the jasmine and the sweet, floral and slightly woody aroma of the mimosa come through and make a much more enjoyable experience. 

To look at, Sakura is an interesting bath bomb and a rather mis-matched one in regards to the scent it gives off. It's design is made up of mostly a white top layer, with specks of fluorescent pink and forest green dotted all over it's body. To finish, there is a small cluster of turquoise-coloured salt that sits at the top of the ballistic, which when added to the tub, dissolves into the water and softens your skin. 

When added to the tub, this bath bomb dissolves very quickly, spewing out trails of white foam across the surface of the water. Unfortunately, Sakura offers little other colour or show, and what's left afterwards is a tub of murky, cloudy water to bathe in. 
On the positive side, the bath bomb is one of the strongest-scented one I have experienced from Lush in a long time. And even after it's fully dissolved in the water, the scent is very strong and stays with you throughout the entire experience. 

It's refreshing and very up-lifting, leaving you feeling really clean and invigorated afterwards. Furthermore, the addition of salt in the ingredients mean that the water is soft and hydrating - working hard to moisturise and repair your skin whilst you bathe. You leave the bath tub with beautiful smooth, velvety skin, which would be perfect after spending a long, dry and rather dehydrating day at the beach. 

However, I found that it's fragrance was rather one-dimensional and this grated on me after a little while. With Rub Rub Rub, I'm only using this for a few minutes at a time so it smells and feels really refreshing on skin. But when made to bathe in this smell for long periods of time, Sakura can be too harsh and potent on the senses, and for this reason, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. 
Ultimately, this is the perfect bath bomb to use if you need a little something to perk you up and refresh yourself with. However, it's not something I would be able to use regularly, unless I coupled it with something more floral or fruity to balance out it's fragrance.

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Citric Acid, Perfume, Fine Sea Salt, Lemon Oil, Mimosa Absolute, Orange Flower Absolute, Jasmine Absolute, Gardenia Extract, Citral, Limonene, Lilial, Colour 42090, Colour 14700, Colour 45410.

Vegan?: Yes. 

2015 Price: £3.35 each.

Scent Family:
17 Cherry Tree Lane Soap
Mother Of Pearl Bubbleroon
Mother Superior Bubble bar
Rub Rub Rub Naked Shower Scrub
Rub Rub Rub Salt Scrub
Rub Rub Rub Solid Scrub
Sakura Bath Bomb
Sakura Perfume
Seanik Solid Shampoo



5 comments

  1. I'm pretty sure Sakura was released before 2006. I think I remember getting one in early 2005.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a group of bombs that I'm really surprised havent been discontinued yet. Namely, Sakura, Think Pink and Sex Bomb. I know Sex Bomb is popular and I'm sure the other two must be for Lush to continue selling them but I just don't get it. I find all three really basic, especially compared with some of the products that have been discontinued, for example Phoenix Rising.

    In terms of this review, I completely agree with you. I found Sakura very overpowering. It kind of smelled like an artificial fragrance to me and it actually made me a bit nauseous after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought one because I loved the smell but now I'm wondering if I got a dud. When I tried it the smell was great right until I put it in the tub and it left as soon as the bomb finish dissolving. It was pretty disappointing.... maybe I'll try it again. Unless they have altered it since you reviewed it .. which is possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was the same way! I actually ordered mine online since I never tried it before and thought might as well. I liked the scent, especially when I paired it with the cherry blossom reusable bubble bar, but then once it was done fizzing, the only scent I had left was the cherry blossom. Maybe it's a different formula with a better smell but just sucks at lasting?

      Delete
  4. This is really nice to read content of this blog. A is very extensive and vast knowledgeable platform has been given by this blog. I really appreciate this blog to has such kind of educational knowledge.
    buy bath bombs online

    ReplyDelete


UP