Recently

20 October 2014

Magic Bath Ballistic



Lush first released the Magic Ballistic during the Christmas period of 2008; bringing it out every year after that as part of their retro range. Unfortunately, the company chose not to bring it out in 2012 or 2013, leaving me no choice but to hunt for older versions to buy. The two weathered-looking bath bombs that I managed to acquire were from the last release in 2011. Although I didn't expect them to be as effective as the freshly made ones, I was hoping to grapple some sort of experience from them to write about on this blog. While they weren't that terrible, you could tell they were far from fresh, so when Lush announced that they were bringing out Spellbound featuring this bath bomb, I couldn't wait to throw a fresh one into the bath. 

Unlike any other bath bomb that Lush have released to date, the Magic Ballistic is shaped like an hexagonal prism. Although it weighs the same as a regular Lush ballistic, the bomb seems bigger due to it's chiselled faces and unique design. With it characteristic tetrakaidekahedral shape (that’s fourteen-sided), Magic has a brilliant turquoise outer layer and a rich pink inner core that gets to work immediately upon impact with water.

The bath bomb is a loud fizzer, but it takes a little time for it to fully dissolve so you can lay back and watch the swirls of blue make their way across the surface of the water. Once it hits the water, beautiful trails of foam spread out across the surface and paint the water a vivid deep-blue colour. As the ballistic disperses even further, the core comes out to play and adds a beautiful tingle of Mexican Pink to the mix. Once fully dissolved, the bath turns a gorgeous deep purple. This is a multi-layered bathing experience that you don't want to miss - one that makes you feel as if you're bathing in a midnight sky. 

On the surface, the ballistic is quite pungent; a cool peppermint, tender rose and herbal fragrance unlike anything else you have ever experienced. Sharing it's scent with the similarly titled Magic Jelly, this potent combination is not for the weak-hearted - it grabs your senses like a hungry dog and refuses to let go until you have left the bathroom.

The marjoram oil is what drives this aroma - an unusual herbal scent that compliments the other ingredients while actively standing above them. While both basil and parsley are featured here too, neither of these are so prominent in the mix; instead resting at the bottom of the smell and adding subtle hints when the bath bomb is in use. The centre harvests most of these herbal scents, meaning that your initial experience is the sweet rose smell, but you get the surprise of the herbs as the ballistic melts away in the tub. 


The peppermint oil is clearly prominent in the overall fragrance of this as well - adding a unique minty twist to Magic but without being too strong to counteract the rose. Finally, as the last of the bath bomb melts away, a single sprig of parsley floats out as a nice finishing touch. I couldn't smell the parsley in the mix, but it was a nice surprise at the end.

Magic is an unusual but distinctive bath product; it's refreshing and utterly relaxing, giving off a slight cooling sensation in the water alongside the scent or rose and marjoram, which dispels all worries and brings clarity to the user. The scent did help me to relax a lot, and I found that the fragrance actually helped to lift the headache that I had at the time.

After getting out of the bath, my skin felt softer and lightly fragranced which was wonderful; I knew this bath bomb was going to do wonders for my skin after I could see and feel the delicate layer of oils that sit on the surface of the bath once the ballistic has fully dissolved. Overall, I really enjoyed using this ballistic - my skin felt exfoliated and smoother once I got out of the tub and the wonderful aroma, which remained really strong throughout my experience, lingered on my skin and hair for the remainder of the day. 

I really hope that Lush choose to bring it back permanently, as I now consider this to be one of my all-time favourite bath bombs. It really is a unique, relaxing ballistic that I would love to experience again and again. I can only hope that this product makes a re-appearance soon because I would definitely invest in a few.
Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Citric Acid, Perfume, Marjoram Oil, Rose Absolute, Basil Oil, Peppermint Oil ,Eugenol, Geraniol, Benzyl Benzoate, Citronellol, Linalool, Colour 17200, Colour 42090, Colour 19140, Fresh Parsley Sprig.

Vegan?: Yes.

2014 Price: Not Currently For Sale Individually. 
2015 Price: £3.95 each.
2017 Price: £4.25 each.

Scent Family:
Magic Ballistic
Magic Shower Jelly



9 comments

  1. Now I am regretting for not grabbing one of this gift set :(
    Sounds so tempting! And is it really bit?Or it is just because of zooming in haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look slightly bigger than your average bath bomb but it's probably not that much different - it certainly doesn't weigh anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently used one of these bad boys up from last year and I do really like this bath bomb! The only thing I don't like is what is left to float around after it has dissolved and also the fact it isn't available very often anymore. :(

    Sad times!

    http://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this one too and get quite frustrated that it is hard to come by. I recently got some off e bay but they just sunk and were far from fresh . I guessed it would be risky as they haven't been around for a while. Looking forward to using my fresh one from the spellbound box. I also love the jingle spells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first two were so disappointing and I am so glad that Lush have brought them back because the fresh ones blew me away. The company really need to bring these back as they are incredible - I hope your experience of the fresh one is as fantastic as mine was :)

      Delete
  5. Did you manage to snag any from the kitchen today? Managed to get four myself -pretty proud since I'm in the states!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did manage to grab some Magic yesterday and a couple of Something Wickeds today. I hope I get a couple of slabs of Lady Catrina tomorrow as well :)

      Delete
  6. I managed to snag the last two online! They were in the Kitchen today and setting my alarm for 2:45 AM EST really paid off! I really hope they bring this back, if only seasonally. It has such a unique, uplifting scent!

    ReplyDelete


UP