Recently

17 September 2014

Silent Letters Bath Bomb



It is with coincidence that I decided to use this ballistic a mere few days after using up my Silent White Ballistic stash. I say this because both bath bombs share the same scent; a fact that I wasn't aware of until I had removed this bomb from it's packaging and unleashed it into the bath.  

Released as a limited edition special back in 2006, Silent Letters is a seemingly ordinary looking bath bomb. Despite seeing versions with letters protruding from the sides, my ballistic looked like an ordinary white bath bomb. In fact, if it wasn't for the fact that it was labelled as Silent Letters, I would have assumed it was a Silent White.  

However, when this is placed in the water, it does something that it's predecessor did not. As the ballistic slowly melts away and spews out white foam throughout the tub, a selection of foam letters also begin to make an appearance. As these are light, they float across the surface of the water, creating a playful and interesting spin on your typical bath bomb (not that there's anything 'typical' about any of Lush's bath bombs). As you're relaxing in the silky water, you also have the optional game of seeing how many words you can spell with the letters you've been given, or as I did, try to write a coded message to my other flatmates on the bathroom wall. For someone who's not that far off being 30 (*gulp*), I'm ashamed to say that this kept me very entertained, perhaps more so than is publicly acceptable for someone of my age. It really brought out the child in me, and if it wasn't for a flatmate banging on the door demanding to use the toilet, I'd have probably continued my one-woman game of scrabble in the bath. 

Much like it's twin, Silent Letters is made from a combination of ylang ylang, petitgrain oil and patchouli oil, all of which combine together to create a gentle floral fragrance with a slight element of sweetness. It's a light, subtle fragrance that's rather powdery-smelling, so you can almost detect a hint of musky vanilla in there as well, which is surprising as there's nothing in the ingredients list that would suggest you'd get this at all. 
Lush describe this bath bomb using the same quote as they did Silent White, saying it's 'subtlety is its strength: no sparkles, no flowers, just scented sheer white beauty'. With the addition of the foam letters, this sentiment has slightly improved, although it is by no means a perfect bath bomb. The scent was still rather weak during my bath and I still couldn't detect any of the fragrance once I had left the tub. Neither did my skin feel particularly moisturised, despite the fact that the water felt lovely and smooth against my skin. 

I've awarded this bath bomb four out of six, which is a slight upgrade on Silent White. I've taken into consideration the fact that I did enjoy it's fragrance, and I recognise the fact that sometimes you want something simple to accompany you in the bath; you don't always want an entire show every time you enter the tub. However, the addition of the foam letters, although fun, were not enough for me to fall in love with this product. I would not buy it again for myself, although I may be tempted to purchase it as a gift for a child who may appreciate the fun nature of the ballistic without a care for the scent or moisturising properties.

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium bicarbonate, Citric acid, Perfume, Cocamide DEA, Pettigrain oil, Ylang ylang oil, Patchouli oil, Titanium dioxide.

Vegan?: Yes.

Scent Family:
Damp Squid Ballistic
Silent Letters Bath Bomb
Silent White Bath Bomb



No comments

Post a Comment


UP