Recently

4 September 2014

Milky Bar Soap

Let's be honest; when a vegan hears about an animal-free soap called Milky Bar, they immediately conjure up past memories of eating the rather delicious confectionary of the same name. As someone who hasn't eaten any dairy for the last six years, I cannot say that I miss chocolate at all - but that's not to say that I cannot remember the sickly sweet goodness of white chocolate.

Unfortunately, it only took me a second to realise that this bar didn't smell at all like I imagined it to. Although it looks the part with its milky-white design and smooth, silky consistency, the scent it gives off is anything but chocolately. While it was a disappointing discovery, that's not to say that I didn't at least enjoy this soap for other reasons.

Made from a combination of soya milk, sweet orange oil and patchouli oil, this soap has a strange fragrance which is relatively difficult to describe. On the surface, there is a very pronounced citrus smell - it almost sits apart from the rest of the soap, yet it compliments the other layers of scent and gives it a slightly uplifting effect. 

Alongside this is a strange mixture of floral notes and a rather generic-smelling soapy element. There is a part of me that would say that this soap doesn't smell that far off the horrible, cheap blocks you can pick up for mere pennies in the local supermarket. Yet there is also something present that gives Milky Bar a slightly richer and more rounded aroma. I think that the inclusion of soya milk gives this soap a creamy, milky undertone that brings it all together nicely.  

While I was initially disappointed with the fragrance, I was pleased to find that this soap lathers up really easily in the shower. As it's a glycerine soap, the suds were very light and soft, and it doesn't take much to fill your hands or your shower puff with a fluffy lather to clean yourself with. 

The soap was rather robust in the shower - meaning that a 100g block would last you a good number of weeks. My piece didn't get any smaller after its first use and it seemed to dry out fairly quickly, meaning that this won't be a soap that shrinks or disintegrates when it's not being used. However, I would still recommend that you pat it down after each shower to make it last even longer. 

Milky Bar left me feeling really clean and smooth, and it worked wonders at calming my skin - especially on some of the patches on my legs that had a rash from shaving the day before. It didn't leave it's scent on my body once I had dried myself down - but it's not a smell I would want staying with me anyway, so that was a positive attribute. 

While it is a gentle, comforting smell, this is not a soap I would really want to use on my body. The smell and the 'averageness' of it, means that I would be happy using this as a hand soap but not as a regular shower companion. I can see why some people would love this, as it is a light scent and equally as gentle on the skin, but its definitely not one I would rush out to buy again. 
Quantitative Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Rapeseed Oil and Coconut Oil, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Soya Milk, Sodium Stearate, Sweet Orange Oil, Patchouli Oil, Glycerine, Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Limonene, Amyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Lilial, Linalool, Perfume.

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £3.10 for 100g.

Year Of Original Release: ?

Scent Family:

4 comments

  1. I wish that Lush would bring back Milky Bar, I really miss it! (Or even a perfume that smells like it!) :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought some Milky Bar soap today in Lush in London(Oxford Street.)So happy, and has made my year!! I am wondering if this is exclusive to this branch as it is not in my local store(Cambridge)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite soaps. It smells so freaking cozy to me lol. I wish Lush would come out with a Milky Shower Gel. I would die.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PLEASE BRING BACK MILKY BAR SOAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete


UP