Recently

24 February 2014

Tramp Shower Gel


I feel like I have to tread rather carefully when discussing Tramp Shower Gel on this blog. The reason being that it seems to be one of those Lush products that inspires a very strong reaction from fans worldwide. In fact, when Lush originally discontinued it from the shops, they got more letters, emails and phone calls than ever before from fans desperate to have it reinstated. 

When I originally heard about Tramp, I was rather excited to give it a go. Much like Grass, I think the more natural and unique smelling Lush products encompass the very purpose behind the company. A shower gel that claimed to smell like a forest, sounded like an interesting and exciting venture for me to try out. 

The main ingredient in Tramp is White Horehound Infusion, an ingredient which is not featured very often in other Lush products. The herb is known for it's mind calming, spirit lifting properties, which is in keeping with the sensual element surrounding the shower gel. Lush mix this up with balm infusion and patchouli oil, making this shower gel great for conditioning your hair and your skin. The latter ingredient also offers most to this product's distinctive aroma.

Tramp is designed to evoke the atmosphere of a forest, and it does this well, by giving off an earthy, woody scent that is unlike any other cosmetic I have tried. You can definitely smell the patchouli here, which gives the shower gel a slight sweet kick that works well alongside the mossy fragrance of the oakmoss. Even though patchouli is the main scent here, the overall smell of this is so refreshing, clean and uplifting.

Unfortunately, despite initially loving this smell when in the bottle, I found it almost unbearable when using it in the shower. I don't think that this enigmatic scent works well when mixed with hot water, as the earthy elements were too potent on the nose. I found that the smell became quite overpowering in the shower and it lost it's sweet edge, which was probably my favourite part of the fragrance.

Despite not being too keen on the smell, inside the bottle, Tramp is very dark beautiful green colour, like the dark forest it is trying to replicate. It lathers up very nicely, and has an oily consistency which helps to soften out your skin and leave it feeling smooth. This product was intended to be used as both a shower gel and a shampoo, although given my negative experience in the shower, I don't intend on testing it out as a hair product. 
Overall, I was a little disappointed with Tramp. Having heard so many rave reviews from other Lush fanatics, I was expecting a lot more than what I received. Lush state that its a unisex product though, in my opinion, its definitely more of a masculine fragrance. Perhaps this is why I was not as keen on it as I expected to be. I do enjoy the smell of it in the bottle though, so I shall keep the product and give it little sniffs every once in a while. 

Quantitative Ingredients: White Horehound Infusion, Balm Infusion, Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Lauryl Betaine, Propylene Glycol, Fine Sea Salt, Patchouli Oil, Oakmoss Absolute, Plantain Vinegar Gel, Eugenol, Methyl Ionone, Perfume, Methylparaben.

Vegan?: Yes

Year Of Original Release: 2000.

2015 Price: £10.95 for 250g.
2017 Price: £11.25 for 250g

Scent Family:
Tramp Body Lotion
Tramp Liquid Perfume
Tramp Shower Gel
Tramp Shower Jelly
Tramp Solid Perfume

12 comments

  1. You write really well, your blog is a joy to read! And I totally agree with you, I've never been a fan of Tramp. I'm glad I only bought 100g bottle of it. I'm still stuck with it, 1 or 2 showers left :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally obsessed with it and love the smell, though it DOES vary batch to batch, as does the consistency. Absolutely gutted that Lush in their wisdom have now discontinued this product and am searching the interweb for something similar, as yet to avail. So if any of you don't want yours, I'll happily take it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Tramp...bummed that I can no longer find it. Always use it in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did NOT like tramp when I first got it, so much that i sampled out most of it before the day i fell in love with it! totally sucks. but the lotion is a nice alternative and hopefully the liquid perfume comes by soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went crazy in the Kitchen and bought three bottles of the shower gel and the perfume as my definitive Christmas gift to myself! Did you get a bottle of the perfume or are you skipping it on principle?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tramp is IMO the greatest shower gel ever! I can understand how it wouldn't be some people's taste if they don't like patch or moss or the earthier greener smelling things, but personally I far FAR prefer TRAMP to all the super sweet scents that seem all pervasive Lush and the rest of the planet. Mind I prefer my perfumes that are mossy and earthy the best really, old school chypres and classic green florals, woods, aldehydes etc and I cannot bear all these sugar syrup scents that seem all the rage nowadays, they make me feel sick they are so cloying and sweet and yuk!
    I was so miserable when they discontinued Tramp. Then it came back and went again, then it popped up in retro, now I have to wait and hope it comes in kitchen and that I manage to get some.
    It is so soothing and calming both literally as in calms and soothes skin but also the mind, the scent lingers on skin a good while and in the bathroom too, and it works well as a base to a good portion of my perfumes. I love the colour, texture and consistency, feel, how it leaves my skin, the smell obviously...it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just arrived 3 bottles - you are so right, hope you hot some.

      Delete
  7. Never understood why Lush discontinued it - and now its almost like they are going out of their way to NOT make it anymore......real shame, one of their stand out products!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tramp was my favorite fragrance of all their shower gels and honestly the only reason I shopped there. I'll miss LUSH as much as I miss Tramp. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shame - one of the best reasons for shopping in Lush - I keep waiting for them to see the light, just not happening!...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please bring out a new batch so that I can stock up soon!

    ReplyDelete


UP