Recently

21 December 2016

Self Esteem Machine Liquid Perfume


There is a certain level of animosity that comes with the release of new Lush perfumes. While the excitement always outweighs any other emotions that I may be feeling towards a brand new product, there is always a small part of me that wonders how long it'll take me to wear and experience these new fragrances before I am able to write about them afterwards.

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly love writing reviews and hearing such positive feedback in return for my hard work. However, there are occasions when I feel slightly overwhelmed by the task of blogging extensively and in depth about each of the aromas in turn. Unlike a bath bomb or a soap, fragrances take a while to develop on a person. And what you experience the first time you wear a smell, might be completely different to what you experience the second time, and the third.

This year Lush have tried something a little different with their rumoured new volume of perfumes. As opposed to releasing them all in their Gorilla perfume shop in Islington, the company have instead chosen to trickle them out in various stores, and for a limited time only. This means that although I was able to pick up eight potential Volume 4 fragrances, I've had the luxury of time to acquaint myself with each and every one of them before they make a global release.

Self Esteem Machine Liquid Perfume has been sat untouched on my shelf for a matter of weeks now, and it was only when I was choosing a perfume to see me through the last week of work, that I decided to opt for this limited edition. Made from a combination of mandarin and grapefruit oils, with a sprinkling of vanilla absolute to boot, this is a perfume that'll enhance a good mood and turn all things sour into all things sweet.

In the bottle, my initial reaction was that it offered a very fruity aroma. In a way, the smell reminded me a little of a bottle of crisp, uplifting wine with a citrusy burst for good measure. Both the mandarin and the grapefruit play a part in this dominant note. The former ingredient gives this perfume a slightly soured fruity element with a very subtle hint of greenery, and reminds me a little of The Sun Liquid Perfume, albeit less potent and not as orangey. 

Alongside this, the latter component presents itself as if it were a freshly peeled grapefruit. You can detect the spritzy element as well as the crisp but citrusy tones of the breakfast fruit. In other words, both of the key ingredients offer a note that is very much in line with what a fresh variation of each would smell like.

It is only when Self Esteem Machine has had time to warm and develop on the skin, that the perfume becomes a little sweeter and more rounded. It is then that the vanilla absolute steps forward - intertwining with the other two ingredients to form a bright, fruity fragrance with a warming layer of gentle sweetness to enjoy.

In all honesty, while the perfume is very lovely and I have enjoyed wearing it this week, I wouldn't say that it was one that left a huge impression on me. Fans of 1000 Kisses Deep and Cocktail will probably really enjoy this latest offering from Lush, as while these three fragrances are nothing alike, they all share similar traits that would no doubt appeal to the same sort of consumers. 

This is definitely a perfume that I can see myself wearing during the summer months. While it is long-lasting (it remained on my skin for some 4-5 hours), and very comforting, it's both light enough and uplifting enough to compliment the warmer weather. Having said this, I have thoroughly enjoyed wearing this in the evenings - when the wind is battering at my windows and I'm finding solace in a cup of hot tea.

Quantitative Ingredients: DRF Alcohol, Perfume, Sicilian Mandarin Oil, Grapefruit Oil, Limonene, Vanilla Absolute, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Coumarin, Butylphenyl Methylpropional (Lillial), Geraniol, Benzyl Benzoate, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Anise Alcohol, Benzyl Cinnamate, Citral, Farnesol, Isoeugenol, Benzyl Salicylate, Cinnamal.

Vegan?: Yes.

2016 Price: £36 for 30ml.

Year Of Original Release: 2016.

  

2 comments

  1. The scent is lovely. Thanks to review

    Marry,xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. Looking forward to finding this in my Christmas Stocking.

    ReplyDelete


UP