Recently

30 June 2015

Miles Of Smiles Toothy Tabs


One of the most appealing aspects about Lush's range of toothy tabs is that they offer you not only a collection of flavours that are far more interesting than the generic mint variations you'd expect from toothpaste, but that the flavours themselves are so far removed from anything you'd ever concoct yourself. Who in their right mind would suggest a charcoal and chilli flavoured toothpaste? A lemon and black pepper one to boot?

So when I first picked up a bottle of Miles And Smiles Toothy Tabs, I cannot say that I was particularly enthused about trying them out - not because they didn't sound nice, just that they sounded pretty boring in comparison to the other tabs that were sitting right next door to these. If I wanted mint, surely it would be easier for me to head down to my local pharmacy...

However, as the saying goes - sometimes the original really is the best, and why change something when it doesn't need fixing. While some people may argue that toothy tabs are supposed to be an alternative to mint tooth paste (why release a flavour that is redundant to begin with?), I happen to think that these are a great starting point for those unsure whether or not to make that leap. Furthermore, they're also far more natural than a lot of the tube varieties currently available and are much easier to take with you when travelling. 

As with all of Lush's new toothy tabs, these particular tabs feature a number of ingredients that I was unsure about and had to research before trying them out for myself - not only to understand how and why Miles Of Smiles work, but also to educate others about the benefits they possess. Firstly, these tabs feature  dicalcium phosphate anhydrous - the main component used to help supplement the body's calcium intake, not to mention preventing the build up of tartar in the mouth. Sorbitol is also used - a natural alternative to sugar which allows Lush to add flavour to this product without adding anything that'll rot your teeth; Lauroyl Sarcosine not only helps the product to foam up in the mouth, but is also used to remove unwanted bacteria that may cause problems in the future.

Described as possessing a 'triple peppermint' flavour, I was expecting these toothy tabs to be overwhelmingly strong, almost to the point of burning my mouth. And when I popped one in my mouth for the first time, the first initial second confirmed this theory. However, I found out very quickly that the mint is nowhere near as potent as you would expect it to be. While some peppermint toothpastes can burn your tongue if you put too much on your brush, you won't get this with these tabs. 

What is great about Miles Of Smiles is that the peppermint does clean out your mouth very effectively - leaving you with fresh breath and a set of teeth that feel really squeaky-clean. However, the mint isn't overly strong that it rips the tastebuds right out of your mouth - a positive attribute that makes these little tablets stand above most of the toothpastes that I've tried over the years. 

This bottle provides you with enough tabs to see you through a good 1-2 months. While it works out a little more expensive than the tooth paste varieties you can buy in your local pharmacist, I really love the fact that these do everything you'd expect from a toothpaste but without the unbearably strong mint aroma. This will be a regular purchase for me.

Quantitative Ingredients: Dicalcium Phosphate Anhydrous, Sodium Bicarbonate, Cream Of Tartar (Potassium bitartrate), Sorbitol, Lauroyl Sarcosine, Kaolin, English Peppermint Oil (Mentha piperita), Organic Peppermint Oil (Mentha piperita), Wild Mint Oil (Mentha Arvensis), Sodium saccharin, Limonene, Linalool, Flavour.

Vegan?: Yes. 

2015 Price: £5.95 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2015. 

9 comments

  1. Lush´s toothy tabs are godsend to me, as I can´t stand overly strong mint flavour and it´s in every single one of the toothpastes I´ve tried over the years.

    But I got a question - do you find the tabs foam too much in the mouth? I´ve used them a while and finally broke a tab in half and that was more than enough (without making me feel like a rabid badger :D ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find they're just right - there's a couple that don't seem to foam as well as the others (Boom!) but I've never thought about using half. I might try it tonight and see if the piece produces enough foam for my liking ☺️

      Delete
  2. I lov these! For a very first toothy tab,I now want to stick to them-and try out other flavours,particularly the Limey-citrus Oxford street one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lime ones definitely taste lovely, they just didn't work for me as well as the other ones, but they're definitely a popular choice :)

      Delete
  3. These were made in honour of one of the Lush managers who sadly passed away this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read this, I was actually surprised because I thought I had put that fact in! Thank you for letting me know ☺️

      Delete
  4. How simaler are these to dirty and whitch do you prefer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure why, but when I used these last night, I got an unbearable flavor. It didn't taste minty at all to me, it tasted like baking soda and salt. Do I have faulty tabs? I used ones I was sent in a sample from lush UK. I really wanted to like them! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness - quite possibly! I've had three tubs now and not one of them ever tasted of that - all of mine definitely tasted of mint. It's not even like you can ask for replacements!

      Delete


UP