Recently

11 June 2015

Blueberry Shower Smoothie Roulade

  

As a kid, I did what a lot of my other friends have confessed to doing in that I would always 'save the best to last'. If I was eating my favourite meal, I would demolish the stew and leave the dumplings for as long as I could - allowing them enough time to soak up the gravy before savouring every last bite. If I was privilege enough to a few brand new books from my parents, I would always leave the one I most wanted to read until last - almost as a sort of reward for reading the other titles beforehand. 

While on most occasions these acts are self-inflicted, there were times in the past and moments even to this day where things have turned out this way by accident. Such is the case with Blueberry Shower Smoothie Roulade.

While Lush have released shower smoothies before, they haven't released anything that quite looks or feels like this one. Presented as a long 'swiss roll', this product can be cut into smaller pieces in store - allowing customers to choose how much or how little they'd like at the time. While this is one of the more expensive ones, it lasts exceedingly long and offers a great alternative to a soap.  

Containing a generous helping of fresh blueberries as the main ingredient, this stunning purple roulade sounded promising before I had even unwrapped my slice. With sandalwood and olibanum oil to boot, this shower smoothie not only offers a wonderful multi-layered fragrance, but one that is far more succulent than I was expecting it to be. 
What is great about this smoothie is that it doesn't smell like any of the 'berry' scents that Lush have released to date. Although fans of The Comforter and Purple FUN will no doubt love this, it doesn't smell anything like either of these two products at all. 

Instead, an initial sniff reveals an aroma that reminds me very much of good quality cordial - the sort of squash you'd find in your local health food shop that only contains fresh blueberries and a dash of sugar. It's a very tart, almost slightly bitter aroma - one that could be described as sweet but not in the same way as something like Creamy Candy would. It's a very natural smell - one that has a grassy element to it as well which comes across quite strong when it's mixed with water. 

To use any one of Lush's new roulade smoothies, I would recommend that you either break off a small chunk and use this to clean yourself with, or cut a thin slice and use this flat piece to lather across your skin. While you could use a whole piece at once, this product is far softer than most of Lush's soaps and I can imagine a 100g chunk would disintegrate and shrink very quickly if exposed to water and left damp in between uses.  

Blueberry Shower Smoothie lathers up wonderfully - producing a thick, silky-soft and very fragrant lather that moisturises and nourishes my skin almost instantaneously. I've found that I don't need to keep the piece I'm using under the water for very long as it's very generous and will last you a lot longer if you only use a small amount of water to stimulate the lather. 

While this isn't a product that needs to be kept in the fridge, I would suggest that you store this in a air-tight container between uses. In its favour, a 100g chunk would last you a good month or so with daily use. However, it does tend to dry out over time and I found that it wasn't as enjoyable to use when some of the moisture had been lost. 
Despite convincing myself that I probably wouldn't use any of Lush's smoothies on a regular basis, using this roulade has definitely changed my mind. This product works well at leaving you feeling soft, clean and smelling so naturally fresh and sweet. Although it can be seen as a rather expensive investment when compared to some of Lush's soaps, this is definitely one of the most unique and interesting scents to come from the company, and that alone is enough for me to invest regularly in a piece for my bathroom.

Quantitative Ingredients: Fresh Blueberries (Vaccinium myrtillus), Rapeseed Oil: Coconut Oil (Brassica napus;Cocos nuciferal), Glycerine, Water (Aqua), Soya Milk (Glycine soja), Organic Almond Oil (Prunus dulcis), Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), Perfume, Olibanum Oil (Boswellia carterii), Osmanthus Absolute (Osmanthus fragrans), Sandalwood Oil (Santalum austro-caledonicum vieill), Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Farnesol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Colour 17200.

Vegan?: Yes. 

2015 Price: £8.50 per 100g.

Year Of Original Release: 2015. 

No comments

Post a Comment


UP