Recently

25 January 2015

Lush DIY: Lord Of Misrule Shower Gel


It was only a matter of time before I found new ways to enjoy my Lush products. Now that I have tried pretty much everything that Lush are currently offering in their shops and I'm on top of my Lush Kitchen orders, I have a little spare time to experiment and convert my favourite Lush products into other formats.

What could be a better start than converting my favourite scent, Lord Of Misrule, into my favourite format - the shower gel. While I don't expect this to be a success first time around, I love a good challenge and I'm going to have lots of fun perfecting the product. 

Video:



Review:

What you'll need:

-Two bowls 
-A Spoon
-A Cheese grater
-An empty plastic bottle (preferably 100g)
-A Sieve 

-1/2 a Lord Of Misrule Bath Bomb
-A Bottle of Unscented Shower Gel
-A capful of olive oil 

Begin by measuring out the amount of shower gel you'll need for this project. Fill up the 100g empty bottle with the unscented gel and try to leave a small, 1cm gap at the top of the bottle. This will allow room for the excess shower gel that you'll get once you've added in both the bath bomb and olive oil.   

Pour the measured shower gel into one of the glass bowls and then begin to grate the Lord Of Misrule Bath Bomb into the bowl. You'll need to grate half of the ballistic because you want the shower gel to pertain a strong enough scent. However, you can either grate it all at once or do it in sections and mix in between. 

As you begin to stir, you'll notice that the mixture will react to the grated bath bomb and will swell considerably, creating a thick, foamy concoction that looks rather disgusting to begin with. This is completely natural and to be expected - it is the inclusion of sodium bicarbonate in the bath bomb that is reacting to the liquid in the same way it would if it was added to water. 

Once you've finishing combining the two products, leave the mixture to sit for a good 30-40 minutes. This will allow the two ingredients to fully merge together and soak the fragrance into the shower gel. After this time, you need to stir the mixture once more and it is now that you'll notice the sudden change... 

As soon as your utensil makes contact with the liquid, it's consistency will change and will become like a thick, elasticated gel. The colour will also deepen considerably and you'll be left with a beautiful-looking purple concoction that remains as vibrant throughout it's entire lifespan. 

Once this has been stirred again, then comes the first of two hard parts. In order to make it a little smoother in the bottle, pour all of the mixture into a sieve and use a spoon to force it through into a bowl below. This will take quite a while and a lot of effort to do so, but it definitely removes some of the grit that may have been irritating when the finished product is in use. 

Next, add in a capful of olive oil. This helps to not only make the shower gel a little smoother but will add extra moisturising properties to the product and make it more nourishing on the skin when you're using it. 

Once you have stirred this in, you will need to pour the mixture into the plastic bottle for storage. If you have a funnel, I would highly recommend that you use it as it'll make things far easier. If, like me, you don't have one of these handy, you can craft a makeshift funnel using a piece of greaseproof paper and some sellotape  Make sure that if you're using the latter, you support it whilst the liquid is being transferred as it can make a large mess if the paper falls out midway through. 

Once it's in the bottle, it's ready to use. By this stage, the product smells beautiful and the deep purple shade adds to the allure. As there is not preservatives in this shower gel, I would say that a 100g bottle will last up to 5 weeks, depending on how it's stored. The shower gel shouldn't separate but you may need to give it a little shake from time to time. 

Unfortunately, I did find that the gel was a little gritty still - a problem I plan on rectifying in my next attempt. Having said that, the shower gel lathered up nicely and produced great soapy suds that I was able to wash myself with. While this is far from perfect, it's not bad for a first attempt and it means I am able to enjoy this wonderful smell in more ways than just the bath bomb format. 












  

13 comments

  1. This opens a whole new world! I can't wait to see what you try next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! I always wanted a LoM shower gel because it's my favourite scent and for some reason I can't order anything from the LUSH UK site. Can't wait to try this out! Have you tried it with a twilight bath bomb?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you get on! I haven't tried to out with any other bath bomb yet but once I've improved and perfected the recipe, I'll be trying out a whole range! I don't know if if try it out with a twilight though as I already have the liquid shower gel format of that. However,I might turn it into a scrub or a jelly!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow this is amazing! I'm definitely going to be trying this out with my So White bath bomb! :D

    http://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to try this every since I found the recipe online after I ordered a Lush Japan grab bag and found myself with bath bombs that I couldn't use (no bath -_-). I've just gotten the unscented shower gel and have been meaning to try this with either the Ne Worry Pas or Bom Perrignon that I've got... the recipe I found didn't include the sieve or olive oil though. Your recipe sounds much better. Will try this, thanks!

    bleudonne@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you get on and whether you can recognise ways to improve the outcome!

      Delete
  5. Oooh wow! Thanks for sharing this process with us! That is amazing. I never even considered that could be done. Maybe someday I will try this with blackberry bath bomb! It was one of my first lush products and still a favorite scent :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is fabulous!! I have made my own Glorious Mud as it's my absolute favourite but can not replicate the smell :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your DIY inspired me to try this, and I also wanted to find a way to get the "grittiness" out of the mix and make a smooth shower gel. After several experiments, I was able to get an almost "grit-less" result from Twilight and Avobath (I chose those since they are regular products and also have shower gel versions), but I was amazed how certain changes made a huge difference in the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I realize this is a bit older of a post, but this is such a great idea!! Because the original scentless gel probably had preservatives or a "use-by" date and because bath bombs have a fourteen month shelf life, the shower gel should (in theory) last as long as the shorter expiration date. Thank you for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw this and was super stoked because It's an easy way to get that amazing LOM smell when the shower gel isn't available all year and i can definitely make my bath bombs last longer but i was wondering if you've tried converting a bath bomb into lotion? i saw you did with the shower gel into lotion but I was wondering if it would be equally similar or less likely to irritate using the bath bombs versus shower gel. If you give it a try, I'd love to see the results! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering that too. I'd love to be able to convert some bombs into lotions!

      Delete
    2. Yes me too!! I would love to keep the smell on as a lotion!

      Delete


UP