Recently

30 November 2014

Jumping Juniper Solid Shampoo


After the disastrous effect that Ultimate Shine caused on my hair, I was really hesitant about trying out another one of Lush's solid shampoo bars, especially after spending many weeks afterwards desperately trying to reclaim my hair. But with a further four more solid bars left to try, I was determined to press on and find the perfect one for me.

For those who are not familiar with Lush's solid shampoo bars, they are different coloured/scented shampoos that have been compacted into 50g rounded chunks. You use them in the same way as you would soap, either rubbing it over your wet hair to create a lather, or massaging it between your palms and applying the lather to your hair. Either way, they work just like a normal shampoo would. 

In addition, these shampoo bars are much better value than their liquid counterparts; firstly, you can get near-enough 80 uses out of a single bar, which works out at just over 7 pence a time. Secondly, the bars don't need to be stored or presented in any packaging so they're environmentally great. Finally, Lush don't have to include any nasty synthetic ingredients to keep them at liquid consistency when at room temperature, making them more natural.  

Jumping Juniper is perhaps the most visually gorgeous as well as being the most beautiful smelling solid shampoo in Lush's collection. Presented in a vivid shade of purple, you would expect the bar to smell of lavender or violet - something herbal or floral. However, that is not the case. 

Although subtle smelling like all of Lush's other shampoo bars, this one possesses an uplifting and highly fruity lemon and lime fragrance, not far off the Dragon's Egg and Avobath Ballistics. To make it a little more unique-smelling than these bath products, there is also a very small hint of the rosemary at the back of the aroma - something that is a little more prominent when you're using this product in the shower. 

Made from a combination of juniperberry, lemon and lime oils, lavender and rosemary, this shampoo claims to give your hair and scalp a deep cleanse, whilst giving it a natural shine. Much like elemi oil, the juniperberry oil also helps to regulate sebum production and secretion, detoxifying the scalp and cleansing clogged up pores and the build up of grease. The citrus oils then help to give your hair a natural shine, without making it look greasy or weighed down. 

This solid shampoo lathered up very easily and I could feel it getting to work immediately. My hair felt soft and easy to manage, and after I had applied my conditioner and washed this off, my felt light and airy to touch. While it was drying, I noticed that my hair definitely did give off a slight glimmer - something my hair hadn't possessed before I had washed it.

My locks felt really moisturised and healthy, whilst retaining a light, well-conditioned consistency overall. When used daily, Jumping Juniper Shampoo didn't dry my hair out or cause my dyed hair to fade, which I appreciate. After using it for a few weeks, I found that this gentle shine stayed with me, and didn't make my hair look greasy. However, I did find, as with some of Lush's shampoos, that I needed to wash it daily otherwise it would begin to look a little flat and lifeless. 

Overall, this washed my hair effectively and didn't dry my hair out as I was dreading. I was a little disappointed that the smell wasn't more prominent when I applied it in the shower, as it's definitely an uplifting and beautiful aroma that would entice more people to try it out. However, it worked well with my conditioner to leave my hair feeling soft with a natural healthy shine.

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Lavender Decoction, Rosemary Decoction, Juniperberry Oil, Lemon Oil, Lime Oil, Citral, Limonene, Perfume, Colour 60725.

Vegan?: Yes.

2014 Price: £5.75.

8 comments

  1. Replies
    1. I have no idea how that happened! It must have been me posting from the future...that's how dedicated I am ;)

      Delete
  2. I tried this a couple of months ago, and sadly I stored it wrong so it became all mushy and very difficult to use and I had to throw it away (what a waste!). I guess I should give it another try someday, because I loved the scent and I since I don't really remember how it worked on my hair, I'm eager to find out - especially after reading your review. But now I have some of the new shampoo bars to try, so Jumping Juniper has to wait, hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to look after them, keep them dry. I have mixed feelings. I buy them for travelling but happy with a liquid when at home.

      Delete
  3. I love the shampoo bars! I keep mine in a soap dish that suctions to my shower wall, at the opposite end of where the shower head is, as high as I can reach it, and it stays dry like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love solid shampoo bars - now that I've discovered Irresistible Bliss, Copperhead and Montalbano, I don't think I'll ever go back to liquid form :)

      Delete
  4. I have really thick hair that gets knotty easily and I have a dry scalp which sometimes bleeds. What lush products would you reccomend?x:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I'm pretty new to Lush (I've only been buying their products for like 2 months), and I have a little question since you seem to know a lot about it :D
    My hair gets greasy pretty easily, and I've already tried I Love Juicy (which I love), and Jumping Juniper, which made my head feel really itchy.
    Do you perhaps know another shampoo bar that could be good for my hair? Thanks in advance! xoxo

    ReplyDelete


UP