Recently

13 September 2014

Pooh Stix Bath Bomb




At first glance, this bath bomb seems a bit of an odd one. Sporting a basic white outer shell with pieces of sticks protruding from the surface, this isn't a particularly interesting ballistic to look at. However, it's name inspires quite a bit of intrigue and I was compelled to research the origin of it's title.

Pooh Stix, for those who are not aware of A.A.Milne's classic book series, is a game invented by main character, Winnie The Pooh. Each player drops a stick into a stream from one side of the bridge, then runs to the other side to see whose stick comes out first. A simple but effective game by nature, this fictional invention has inspired Lush to create a bathing companion of similar features. 

When I first tried one of these bath bombs a matter of days ago, I wasn't really able to enjoy it fully as I had a rather aggressive head cold that I was battling with at the time. However, using a second one this evening has allowed me to appreciate the scent much more, and it turned out to be the perfect companion for someone looking to boost their mood and stimulate those tired senses.  

This is a really strong, heady smelling bath bomb - one that encompasses multiple smells simultaneously and offers the user a complex, multi-layered experience. Initially, I could smell a combination of the liquorice root and cinnamon sticks - two very poignant ingredients that gives this bath bomb a strong, spicy aroma. The smell I picked up when this was dropped into the water, was very similar to an old-fashioned sweet called Sarsaparilla that I used to enjoy as a child. 

As well as the above two ingredients, I was able to detect a strong note of rosewood in the mix, which not only added a distinct powdery, floral aroma, but helped to ground the overall fragrance and pad it out somewhat. Finally, there was an element of patchouli, which gives Pooh Stix a slightly sweet edge that helps to add an uplifting note to the overall scent. 

While this bath bomb also features aloe vera extract, I wasn't able to detect any in the smell. However, it's presence does make this bath bomb incredibly moisturising. I was impressed to see a subtle layer of oils on the surface of the water once the ballistic had dissolved, and it helped to nourish my skin wonderfully. My body felt super silky-soft after using this and my skin continued to feel conditioned for a long time afterwards. 

Unfortunately, the one element that gives this bath bomb its name, is the same reason I dislike this bath bomb in some ways. As you can imagine, this ballistic is a little messy to use. As soon as it's released into the water, it begins to spew out an abundance of chips - decorating the surface of the bath with shards of cinnamon. While these were really easy to drain away after the bath, they were rather annoying while I was in the tub. Many times I found myself having to remove pieces of wood from my hair, and I had to rinse myself down afterwards as these same pieces stuck to my legs and arms as I was trying to climb out. 

What is great about Pooh Stix, as I mentioned above, is that the ingredients not only give you a strong smelling ballistic to enjoy, but one that is incredibly warming on both your skin and your mind. I really feel as if I owe some credit to this product for helping me get over my cold quicker, and I definitely felt more relaxed after my bath. For this reason, I can see it being great for those cold, harsh winter months. 

Despite enjoying the scent and leaving the bath feeling really clean refreshed, this ballistic doesn't offer a very interesting display in the tub - nor does it give you a straight forward experience, as you have to clean up the mess afterwards. While it's comforting and nourishing, something like Butterball does all of the above but slightly better. For this reason, I will continue to enjoy the small stash of these I recently acquired, but it's not one I would rush out to stock up on when I run out. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Citric Acid, Perfume, Pimentoberry Oil, Patchouli Oil, Rosewood Oil, Liquorice Root (Glycyrrhiza blabra), Cinnamon Sticks (Cinnamonum zeylanicum), Aloe Vera Extract (Aloe barbadensis).

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £3.75 each.



5 comments

  1. Hey Jen,
    I Love Your Blog And Have A Question ...
    WHAT TIME DOES LUSH UK START THE KITCHEN AND WHAT TIME WOULD IT BE IN THE US AND WILL THE KITCHEN BE OPENING UP IN THE US ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally the Kitchen runs like clockwork and the new products are up and available between 8am and 8:30am in the UK. There are plans to open a US kitchen at some point next year but when it will be, I don't know. As for timings over there, I think it will depend on consumer demand and when they establish the most productive time to release the products. I would expect it will be roughly the same time in the morning so they know how big the demand is and can organise themselves so they can make as many batches as are needed. Hope this helps :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY ANACONDA DONT WANT NUN IF YOU AINT GOT BUMS HUN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of those little bits of cinnamon/licorice bits are SHARP! I always put this badboy in a nylon stocking before it goes in the water. These smell SOOO good, though! :D

    ReplyDelete


UP