Recently

14 September 2014

Happy Bubble Bar


'I'm so happppppy....clap along, if you feel like a room without a roof...'. Okay, okay, so this bubble bar has been around a lot longer than the aforementioned lyrics, and the song may be the most overplayed tune in existence, but there's a reason I have linked the two.

Happy Bubble Bar is one of those products that instantly perks you up - it awakens the senses, it gets you excited, it makes you smile - exactly what Pharrell Williams does whenever that song makes an appearance on shuffle. In a way, it reminds me of Green Bubbleroon - but that's not to say they're alike in every way. 

The product is a bit of an odd shape - a rounded-cube design with the word Happy etched across the surface in golden lustre. In all of the pictures I've seen of this bubble bar, it appears as an ocean-blue colour, yet my bars have always sported more of a pale turquoise shade - something that they showcase upon arrival so I know they haven't been affected by age or storage. I'm hoping my new purchase from the Lush kitchen will see me finally receiving some less-discoloured looking ones. 

This bubble bar is made from a combination of tangerine, sandalwood, neroli and orange blossom oils - a partnership that creates a fresh, uplifting, grassy citrus scent. Some Lush fans claim to dislike this product because it's fragrance reminds them of that cheap, acidic public toilet cleaner smell. While I can sympathise with their descriptions and recognise why they might describe it as that, I see a whole different side to the aroma. 

To me, Happy Bubble Bar has the perfect balance of zesty orange with woody sandalwood - a grassy, almost pine-like combination that's instantly gratifying and wonderfully light. The neroli oil helps to extend this cheerful aroma and gives it that fresh smell that's really relaxing but equally refreshing - the sandalwood grounds the overall scent so it's not just another typical citrus combination.
Whilst running my bath, I divided the bubble bar into two and crumbled half under the tap. I was pleased to see that Happy produced a lot of bubbles and that the heat and steam also helped to bring out the zesty, grassy scent a little more, producing a very clean, fresh fragrance to bathe in. However, the smell didn't stay around for as long as I was hoping and I was unable to smell anything after a while - neither did it make an impression on my skin. Furthermore, the bubbles that were created, were nowhere near as soft or silky as other bubble bars have offered, so this was rather disappointing.

While it's a bubble bar I have enjoyed using because of it's interesting and unique smell, it's not one I would immediately rush out and buy again. Happy's scent would work much better as a body lotion, a perfume and a shower gel, and I would feel much more inclined to invest in these than this bubble bar again.
Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Cream Of Tartar (Tartaric Acid), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Lauryl Betaine, Tangerine Oil (Citrus Reticulata), Cocoamide DEA, Sandalwood Oil (Santalum Album), Neroli Oil (Citrus Amara), Orange Blossom Oil (Citrus Dulcis), Perfume, Colour 42090, Gold Powder (Lustre Gold Sparkle).

Vegan?: Yes.

2017 Price: £3.95 each.




1 comment


UP