Recently

21 July 2014

Five O'Clock Whistle Shaving Smoothie


When my flatmates saw the products that were being released from the Kitchen last week, their responses were along the lines of - 'well at least you'll save your money, what use do you have with a beard wash, shaving cream and moustache wax?'. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work that way in my world. As a wise woman once said, 'I'll damn well grow a beard if it means I am able to use these products'...

While that last quote might have actually come from my own mouth, the ideal still remains. With Lush products being so multifaceted, there is always more ways than one to use a single item; the fun comes in discovering the versatility of each and every product.

Five O'Clock Whistle is a shaving smoothie - the first of it's kind to be released from Lush. While it is predominantly designed to aid men in trimming and removing their facial hair, I didn't see any harm in using it to banish my leg hair either.
This smoothie is packed with multiple ingredients - all especially included to give you the smoothest, most enjoyable shave of your life. With jojoba, rapeseed and coconut oil to help moisturise and nourish, extra virgin olive oil to condition and strengthen the skin and kaolin clay to cleanse and absorb excess oils, this sounds like the perfect product. 

As well as the above ingredients, this shaving companion also contains a coffee and lavender infusion, which despite being the predominant ingredient, doesn't offer much in the way of scent. It is the inclusion of both fresh lime juice and lime oil that gives this product it's dominating smell. To me, this shaving smoothie smells like a good quality chocolate lime - a strong, zesty citrus aroma that awakens your senses and makes your skin tingle. The coffee and lavender do add a very subtle note in the overall scent, but it's not enough to write home about. 

Original Kitchen Batch
To use, simply scoop out a handful and massage it across the area you want to shave. I found that I needed a little more than a teaspoon worth for each leg and my male 'testee' needed about the same for his face. Much like most of Lush's other smoothies, this one doesn't produce a very soapy lather but it does create an oily substance that coats your legs nicely.
Five O'Clock Whistle wasn't as effective as Shave The Planet in the fact that I didn't feel as if my legs were taut enough to avoid cutting myself. While it was more effective than regular shower gel or soap, I didn't feel as protected as I normally would with this sort of product. Having said that, my male counterpart commented on how it tightened his facial skin much like a normal shaving gel would do. He was able to shave as per usual and didn't inflict any injuries on himself. 

The shaving smoothie did leave my legs and my flatmate's face feeling squeaky clean, and I was impressed at how the gorgeous lime smell permeated our skin and remained with us for a long time afterwards. However, Five O'Clock Whistle was a little drying on the skin and I felt that my legs weren't as smooth or as soft as other shaving creams have made them. My flatmate experienced the same after shaving his beard and had to moisturise afterwards as his face felt a little on the dry side. 

Overall, I am really happy that there is going to be a permanent shaving smoothie for vegans, as there is next to nothing on the Lush site that can offer the same soft of protection. Furthermore, this smoothie smells delicious and is the perfect accompaniment in those early mornings when you need something vibrant and uplifting to wake you up. However, it isn't the most moisturising product and you'll probably need to use a body lotion afterwards to replace some of the skin's oils that may have been removed. It's definitely a step in the right direction but it's not quite good enough to join my regular 'must haves'. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Coffee and Lavender Infusion, Organic Jojoba Oil, Rapeseed Oil and Coconut Oil, Water (Aqua), Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Almond Oil, Glycerine, Perfume, Fresh Lime Juice, Kaolin, Lime Oil, Aloe Vera Extract, Carrageenan Extract, Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Citral, Limonene.

Vegan?: Yes.

2016 Price: £7.95 for 100g, £15.95 for 250g. 

7 comments

  1. "my male 'testee' needed"
    You might want to rephrase that. Putting male testee together made me laugh like a school girl. Not sure if that was the point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha - I never realised that! Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting, I know this post is older, but I just purchased this in Canada this week and mine looks nothing like this, yours looks thick like the coconut smoothie mine is definitely more like a lotion, kinda like thinner Ro's Argan body conditioner. Maybe they have changed the formula, i got a dupe or it's different in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rapeseed oil and coconut oil in this product were used as a soap base and not moisturising oil since Lush does not use Palm Oil as a soap base.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since this product has a little bit of soap property it can be used as a mild cleanser to those who has delicate skin. Kaolin in it can cleanse too. I certainly love this product and use it as a face wash when I have sunburn and irritation. My boyfriend uses this product as a face wash at the moment coz his skin dried out and flaking due to accutane pills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the functions of hair on the human body is that it acts as a scent "trap." Pubic hair, for instance, helps trap the scents that are put out by the sexual organs and the surrounding areas of the sexual organs. shaving vs trimming

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the functions of hair on the human body is that it acts as a scent "trap." Pubic hair, for instance, helps trap the scents that are put out by the sexual organs and the surrounding areas of the sexual organs.shaving in the shower

    ReplyDelete


UP