Recently

19 May 2014

Party On Shower Jelly


A few years ago, I would have been rather confused if someone had presented me with the idea of a shower jelly. However, having used close to 40 pots of the stuff within the last 18 months, I now consider myself to be somewhat of an expert. I don't think I'll ever claim to prefer the solid variation to it's gel counterpart, but it definitely makes for an interesting shower experience. 

To begin with, I disliked how fiddly the jelly could be when in contact with the water, and I would often lose more down the drain than I managed to utilise on my body. However, after a good number of practices, I've finally developed the knack of how how to use the jelly without wasting it. So when I received my rather attractive pot of Party On Shower Jelly from a generous US Lushie, I couldn't wait to put this product to the test. 
One thing that makes the jelly stand out from other showering products, is that it can either be stored at room temperature or frozen to offer the user a cool, refreshing experience during those hot summer months. I opted to try the latter method with this product as I felt it's scent lended itself well to a cooler shower.
  
Lush described this jelly by saying that 'the first whiff of its zippy fragrance will have you reaching into the wardrobe for your posh frock and high heels.' While I don't own any such frock, and I can safely say that I've never owned a pair of high heels, I was intrigued to find out what scent could possess a woman (or man) from doing such a thing. 
With it's almost psychedelic yellow appearance, I was expecting a sharp, sweet, fruity scent, but was surprised to find that the colour of this jelly doesn't relay what it actually smells like at all. Upon extraction of the lid, I was immediately greeted with a strong menthol aroma, which smells exactly like the Vicks Vaporub that I remember using as a child. However, Party On also has a layer of lime oil, which seems to mask the sharpness of the menthol and compliment it perfectly. 

It wasn't until I began using this in the shower, that I was able to pick out the slight mint note that sits well with the menthol, and the very gentle layer of rosemary, which just gives the shower jelly that subtle complexity as a whole. Infused together, these ingredients create a fresh, invigorating and highly-refreshing shower companion - one I found was excellent at awaking my senses first thing in the morning. 

As the name suggests, this jelly has been designed to be used in conjunction with a night on the town; to either revitalise you before a night out, or to be used in the morning to clear away those 'morning after' cobwebs. Either way, Party On lathers up really well and produces a creamy foam that cleans and conditions your skin. The inclusion of menthol means that you can also feel a slight tingling sensation on your body, which in turn creates a cooling effect on your skin - a perfect companion after a long day on the beach!

This is quite a rubbery jelly, in the same league as Big Calm, and only needs a minuscule piece each time to clean your entire body. I find the jelly works best if you massage it into a shower puff as this tends to heed the greatest amount of lather. As I had placed this in the freezer beforehand, I used this directly on my skin and found that it still produced a good amount of lather to work with. 

What is great about Party On, is that the effects of this shower jelly continue after you have exited the shower. Not only did my skin feel revived and refreshed for many hours after use, the menthol kept my body temperature in check so the stuffiness of my house was more bearable. 

Furthermore, the inclusion of lime, rosemary and juniperberry oil helps to not only calm sensitive and irritated skin, but moisturises and softens the body. My skin definitely felt a lot smoother after use and the scent stayed with me for a few hours after I had exited the shower. 

Despite Party On having a strange scent that I wouldn't normally go for, it was an enjoyable experience to try something so refreshing and unique in the shower. As this product was sold in a 250g tub, this pot lasted me a little over a month, which is on par with how long it would normally take me to use between 300-350g of shower gel. Although this isn't my first choice for a shower product, I would be very interested in seeing this made into a shower gel. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Glycerine, Fresh Rosemary Infusion (Rosmariunus officinalis), Fresh Mint (Mentha arvensis), Propylene Glycol, Carrageenan Extract (Chondrus crispus), Perfume, Lime Oil (Citrus aurantifolia), Menthol, Rosemary Oil (Rosmarinus officinalis), Juniperberry Oil (Juniperus communis), *Limonene, D&C Green No. 8, Methylparaben.

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £7.95 for 250g. 
2017 Price: £7.95 for 250g. 

Year Of Original Release: ?

3 comments

  1. I agree with you on the vicks vaporub comment! When i first used it, it reminded me of that slightly synthetic scent that lemsip/ lemon cough sweets have.
    The cooling menthol sensation will be good for summer and holidays away in the heat.
    Love your blog btw, and the tip to break off bits of the shower jelly and use a shower puff is fantastic- though bf has been confused by the sudden appearance of my 'shower jelly spoon' in the bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. im hOnEsTlY In love with this scent

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on the vicks vaporub comment! When i first used it, it reminded me of that slightly synthetic scent that lemsip/ lemon cough sweets have.clog your shower drain

    ReplyDelete


UP