Recently

10 January 2014

Aromaco Solid Deodorant


In an ideal would, I would be able to rely on Lush for my every cosmetic need; from my face and body to my haircare. That way I could guarantee that, firstly, every product in my collection was 100% vegan and 100% cruelty free. Secondly, I would know that I was supporting a company that are doing at least something to help the reduction of waste and the sustainability of the environment. Finally,  I would be proud that I was supporting a company who advocate and promote important welfare messages to an audience that may not otherwise have access to such information.

It is a shame then that there are still aspects of my toiletry and cosmetics collection, that I am unable to revert. One such product is the 'deodorant'. Annoyingly, 'deodorant' is amongst one of the few words in the English language that I always misspell, making it a rather unpopular word to begin with. It doesn't help that my little experience with Lush deodorants so far, have been somewhat negative, so when I began using Aromaco, I was already very skeptical.

Aromaco comes in small cream-coloured blocks and is priced at £4.70 for a 100g slice. This is obviously a lot more expensive than a usual bottle of anti-perspirant. However, if it works in a similar manner to Lush's solid shampoos, a block could last upwards of 6+ months, making it incredible value for money. 

The deodorant contains witch hazel and chamomile vinegar to help tighten pores rather than block them, which is supposed to help you to keep cool and fresh. Lush have also included bicarbonate of soda to absorb odour and cooling patchouli oil to give your armpits a lasting earthy fragrance. Aromaco claims to absorb body odour and leave you smelling as fresh as a daisy. So does it work?

Firstly, I found it was rather difficult to use. You're supposed to rub the block under your armpits, following a shower to keep you feeling fresh and dry throughout the day. However, I found that whether I used it on dry or slightly damp skin, very little smell or product rubbed off onto my armpits. This meant that I felt very naked throughout the day, something that I'm very conscious about at work; nobody wants a smelly co-worker! It's not as fiddly and messy as T'eo, but it's certainly more hassle than using a normal roll-on deodorant.   

Secondly, the scent it gives off is a little less than desirable. I recognise that witch hazel and patchouli have been used specially to target bad odours and smother them, and I can't deny that it doesn't do this to some extent. However, the smell is very poignant and not something I want to be using regularly.  
Finally, the deodorant did absolutely nothing to help keep me dry or prevent as much sweating occurring as normal. In fact, I found that the deodorant made things worse. Whereas before I was sweating fairly odourlessly, I now had to contend with a mixture of sweat and patchouli - something I wasn't very happy with at all.

To conclude: I recognise that Lush are trying to come up with new concepts and products to help reduce their carbon footprint, use fresher and sustainable natural ingredients as well as cater for a large range of consumers. However, this is one product that seems to have very little use at all. 

I recognise that there are others out there who seem to really appreciate Aromaco, and have perhaps started using it regularly with pleasing results. However, I suspect that a large percentage of these people seldomly sweat, which is why they've yet to see it's flaws. For someone like myself, who works out 6 days a week and has a full time job which involves moving around a lot, I don't think this deodorant is conducive at all.

Quantitative Ingredients: Witch Hazel Infusion, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Stearate, Chamomile Vinegar, Sodium Bicarbonate, Patchouli Oil, Citral, *Limonene, Perfume.

Vegan?: Yes

2015 Price: £4.95 for 100g.

10 comments

  1. For how long did you try it? A couple of weeks or just days? I've heard that it takes a while before your body starts to respond to natural deodorants after been used to 'normal' deodorants - this may be wrong. I've only tried T´eo from Lush (tried it a couple of years ago), and I didn't like it at all. Was wondering about trying this one, but it doesn't sound like I would like it all. We may not have exactly the same life (who does?), but I need a deodorant that "protects" me against sweat through the day, and this doesn't sound like the right one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing Lush - I always try products for 2-4 weeks before reviewing, because you're right when you say that it can take a while for your body to adjust. I actually found that T'eo worked a little better for me than this one, but neither of them kept me dry or protected me pretty much at all! I think this is the one area of Lush that they haven't perfected yet!

      Delete
    2. Okey, thank you! I just had to ask, but after I posted the comment I realized that you always seem to thoroughly test the products you review, so I feel a little bit silly now, haha. And I agree with you, it doesn't seem like the deodorants Lush as to offer is something I would feel was worth my money just yet. But I hope they're working on it and maybe someday we can all enjoy a sweat-free day thanks to Lush's deodorants! :)

      Delete
  2. I love the Aromaco deodorant as it does wonders for me and I love this scent. I was wondering if you know more Lush products with this similar scent.. By the way, I love your blog, for a new Lushie like me, this blog is a paradise :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm glad this blog is useful - I must be doing something right :) I'm glad this works for you - it's strange how somethings can be amazing for some people but terrible for others! Unfortunately, I don't think that Lush currently have anything with the same smell.

      Delete
    2. I think aromaco smells just like blue skies and fluffy clouds :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Jen, I just want to start by saying how much I love your blog. As a fellow Lushy, I really appreciate your endeavours to share all of your experiences with us.

    As for Aromaco, I absolutely love it. In fact it was my 'in' product to Lush, and after its success I've never looked back.

    I'm a very active girl going running, mountain-climbing or weight-training at least once a day; working as a waitress in a busy restaurant; and studying archaeology. Aromaco keeps me smelling great, and almost completely dry (I think the moisture I do get is from the deodorant itself, rather than sweat, and it doesn't smell bad at all).

    I think it helps that I love an earthy-scented product, I smell of mud a lot of the time when I'm out digging after all! To me, it's like the base notes of Karma, my absolute favourite scent.

    I think there's a lot to be said for different palates and different body chemistries, particularly with more natural products. I just wanted to give my experience of Aromaco over the last few years, in case any active girls were put off giving it a go. As with all Lush products, I think it's always worth trying to see how it works for the individual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing this with me! It's been an incredible insightful read and I really do love hearing about the positive experience of other Lushies.

      I'm going to be honest and say that I've been considering buying another piece of this to try out again, along with T'eo because I feel I have more experience of Lush deodorants now and could perhaps have more success a second time around.

      I definitely agree with you about giving things a go and see how it works for you! I would hate to think that someone would miss out on experiencing something because of something I've said!

      Delete
  4. Have you tried Meow Meow Tweet? They are a vegan brand and I've heard they have fantastic deodorants, though I have not tried them yet myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I have not. I'm very intrigued by the name and the fact that they're vegan. I might do a little research....thank you!

      Delete


UP