Recently

13 May 2017

Choccy Egg Bath Bomb





Call it greed, call it being a little compulsive: I don't like not being able to try out certain products. While my veganism is a personal choice, and I could opt to use any of the cosmetics that feature honey, beeswax etc... if I wanted to, my ethics are not something that I willing to sacrifice, just to use a bath bomb. For this reason, I usually have to wear a sad expression at times and just except that there will always be releases that I have to live without.

Choccy Egg Bath Bomb used to be vegetarian, which was why I didn't even consider logging into the Lush Kitchen website on the day of its recent release. It both surprised and frustrated me a few days later then, when I discovered that the ballistic had been altered slightly, and now seemed to be vegan. Luckily, a few kind individuals managed to cough up a couple of spares for me to use and review, and I was gifted with a rather wonderful smelling parcel a few days later.

For its price tag, I was surprised to discover just how small the bath bomb was to begin with. Weighing in at roughly 120g, this product is only slightly bigger than the original Think Pink Bath Bomb, which does make it a little more of an investment than to begin with. In its favour however, it does possess the  longevity to see you through an entire bath.
Made from a combination of vanilla, cocoa and mimosa absolute, Choccy Egg is a decadent offering from Lush, but perhaps one that isn't what you'd expect it to be. From the get-go, I was amazed to discover that the bath bomb was far more floral than I was expecting. In fact, it was also far less 'chocolately' than I had envisioned as well.

I would describe the fragrance of this as a very floral, cocoa aroma. There is something very musky and sweet about the fragrance, which is reference to both the cocoa and vanilla. However, there is a powdery component which I can very much relate to the inclusion of the mimosa. Despite the cocoa absolute and dark chocolate flakes on the outside, I wouldn't describe this as being foody at all, and in fact it is far more rich and decadent than I expected it to be.

In the water, this ballistic begins to dissolve immediately - demonstrating quite an impressively loud fizz for such a small bath bomb. Despite its size, it also happened to captivate the tub, and indeed the bathroom, as I found that the scent was strong enough to last a good fair while in the water. I would say that using any potent-smelling products would probably thwart the aroma of this quite a bit, but it's strong enough to linger vaguely on your skin afterwards.

Disappointingly, this bath bomb does not heed any colour in the water, and the inclusion of the chocolate flakes doesn't make this bath bomb very enticing in the water. I found that a lot of the flakes took a while to dissolve, so there were a good many splodges of chocolate on the base of the tub for the first half of the bath. Once they have dissolve, they create a sort of murky, brown water, which is probably the least attractive colour you could possibly ask for.
Despite this, I did find that the inclusion of the cocoa butter made this a little more moisturising than some of Lush's other bath bombs, and my skin did feel the better for it afterwards. Furthermore, the chocolate didn't stain the outside of the bath tub when the water was drained away, so it wasn't as messy as I initially thought it was going to be.

Overall, I feel as if the scent of this would be rather lovely in other formats, and I would be interested in trying it out in future products. However, the Choccy Egg didn't offer a very appealing bath, and the scent was lost as soon as I began using other products. For this reason, I would probably not purchase this product again, unless I was planning on cocktailing it alongside a bubble bar or bath melt.     

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Citric Acid, Vanilla Absolute (Vanilla planifolia), Mimosa Absolute (Mimosa tenuiflora), Cocoa Absolute (Theobroma cacao), Aloe Vera Extract (Aloe barbadensis), Coumarin, Isoeugenol, Perfume, Dark Chocolate Flakes.

Vegan?: Yes.

2017 Price: £3.50 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2009.




No comments

Post a Comment


UP