Recently

12 March 2017

Elsie The Giraffe (You're Havin' A Bath)





Elsie the Giraffe (You've Havin' A Bath) begs the question: what does it mean to be an adult. Time and time again, Lush bring out limited edition cutie pies such as this product, and the whole community goes a little gaga over its cute factor and whimsical merits. It seems that bathers all appreciate a little company in the tub, even if that company comes in the form of a giraffe-shaped Bubble Bar. 

As I have said in the past, I do not rate reusable bubble bars as much as regular ones, if only because I don't believe that they are as moisturising or as strong in scent. Having said this, I was rather impressed to discover that this limited edition Mother's Day product was definitely noticeably more nourishing in the bath tub than its predecessors, and the fragrance also appeared to be more prominent.

Featuring lime, grapefruit and lemon oils, this is a Bubble Bar with a strong, zesty citrusy aroma. Whereas it is normally the lemon oil that takes centre stage, this time around sees the lime making the biggest impression, which is perfect for someone like myself who prefers the lesser-used spritzy aroma. 

While it doesn't appear to share its scent with anything else, there is definitely something very familiar about the aroma, which I've put down to its simplicity. This is a very straightforward zesty smell - different from Calacas and Five 'O Clock Whistle in that it is far brighter and citrusy overall. Imagine the intensity of the Brightside Bubble Bar (or Cheer Up Buttercup for those lucky enough to have tried one), but lime-orientated instead of orange or lemon.

Alongside this is a fresh, uplifting note of grapefruit, which elevates and intensifies the lime, and gives it a smell that isn't far off what the green Starburst sweet smells like, albeit far stronger. This would be a great product to use alongside a bath bomb or bath melt - to elevate and intensify the overall smell of the bath cocktail. However, by itself it is also suffice at what it does, and I found that I enjoyed it far more than I was originally expecting.      

As with all of Lush's reusable bubble bars, this one works in the same way: simply hold the bar under the running tap, and the running water will stimulate a mass of fluffy bubbles. While I didn't find the bubbles as velvety-soft, or as prevalent as I would with a regular bubble bar, the water more than made up for this.

After submerging myself in the tub, I found that my skin felt smoother and appeared a little brighter than it had beforehand. The inclusion of so many citrus oils in the ingredients, means that this product was not only radiant in smell, but also left my skin feeling like it has been kissed by the sun. I was also surprised to find that the smell was strong enough to withstand all of the other products I used alongside it, and it did permeate my skin enough that I could smell it faintly on my body afterwards.

On the negative side, I found that the colour of the water wasn't as vivid as I was hoping it would be. While I tend to have an issue with yellow-coloured water, due to the nature of where my mind goes when I think about other liquids of similar colour, I was hoping that this would heed a bright colour to match the design. Instead, I found that the water turned a very pale shade of yellow and needed a little top from another bath bomb, to make it colourful enough for my liking.

Overall, this is definitely going to appeal to those who love bright, zesty, citrusy scents. Although it wouldn't win any awards for complexity, it does offer a wonderful, uplifting fragrance, and one that pairs really nicely with Lemony Flutter Body Conditioner - if you're looking for a bathing companion to pair it with. 

The enticing design and child-like playfulness will definitely make Elsie The Giraffe (You're Havin' A Bath), a product that you may wish to buy someone who would appreciate a good bath over a chocolate egg this Easter. The two I have will be more than suffice to last me across the year, but I would definitely consider another couple if it was to appear in next year's line-up.  

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Cream of Tartar, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Lauryl Betaine, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Fair Trade Shea Butter, Perfume, Cornflour, Titanium Dioxide, Bergamot Oil, Sicilian Lemon Oil, Violet Leaf Absolute, *Limonene, *Linalool, Geraniol, Colour 17200, Colour 42090, Vegan Dark Chocolate, Candy Leaf Candy Flowers.

Vegan?: Yes.

2017 Price: £6.95 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2017 In The UK.

Scent Family:
Bubble Spinner Reusable Bubble Bar
Elsie The Giraffe (You're Havin' A Bath) Reusable Bubble Bar


Sherbet Dip Bath Bomb







4 comments

  1. Six out of six? Think you need to amend your scoring from reading the review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to get more sleep before I publish reviews haha!

      Delete
  2. bit confused by this review...it reads like a 5 bottle review and yet it has 6 bottles....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I must have been tired when I published this - it is a five star product, not SIX!

      Delete


UP