Recently

26 February 2017

Big Blue Body Conditioner




Looking at the range of regular bath bombs that Lush currently offer, I'll be honest and say that Big Blue would be one of my last choices. This is by no means a reflection of how wonderful the bath bomb is, and I certainly recognise the merits it possesses as a best-selling product. However, it is rare that I ever get the urge to use one in the bath, and this is mostly down to its smell.

Containing a large dosage of seaweed and lavender, the fragrance of both the bath bomb, and indeed the body conditioner, is very potent. This is not for the faint-hearted and definitely not one for those who dislike rather heady smells. In as many words, Big Blue is like a kick in the teeth, albeit less aggressive and more rewarding for the skin.

When I first found out that Lush were bringing out Big Blue as one of their six exclusive body conditioners, I was a little perplexed as to why it had been chosen from the many other fragrances that I would have envisaged as being  far more popular in the Lush community. Reading reviews from others before mine had arrived also prompted me to believe that this wasn't going to be a revered choice amongst Lush fans either. 


I'll be honest and say that an initial sniff of the product when it arrived did cause a slight negative reaction from myself - a scrunching up of a nose and a grimace for starters. Yet, once I had gotten used to the smell, and when I actually found myself thoroughly enjoying the product the next day in the shower, I realised that it had taken some unwarranted slack from the community that I wanted to rectify.

What I will say is that the body conditioner is almost identical to the bath bomb. There is a strong note of lavender that sits near enough at the top, which offers a brassy, herbal offering that is almost slightly neurotic because of how powerful it comes across in this format. Alongside this, the woody and equally herbaceous seaweed projects another smell that rivals that of the lavender. While it's difficult to describe the aroma of seaweed, there is something about it that gives this product that 'beach vibe'. 

How I think Big Blue Body Conditioner differs from the bath bomb is that the lemon shines through more on the latter. You can distinctly make out the citrus element in the lotion, but I don't think it has as much of an impact as it does in ballistic format. For this reason, the fragrance of the body conditioner is slightly stunted, and I wouldn't say it's as bright or refreshing as you would be expecting. That's not to say that it doesn't replicate the scent of Big Blue well; just that the conditioner is a little more cloudy and condensed when it comes to the scent. 

On the positive side, this product is as hydrating, moisturising and nourishing on your skin as all of the other body conditioners. In addition, it also works wonders at making your skin feel radiant and supple for the most part of the day. This would be perfect for the summer months because Big Blue would not only replenish the skin of any moisture that has been lost in the heat, but it would also create a barrier to could protect your skin for hours afterwards.

Furthermore, this particular body conditioner has probably the most impressive scent longevity than any of the other variations that came out at the same time, in the Lush Kitchen. I used this on my skin one morning before work, and found that I could still smell it on my skin when I showered after my gym session at 8pm that same day. While this could be detrimental for those who dislike strong-smelling cosmetics, I can assure you that I was able to wear a perfume over the top of the smell of this and didn't find that it clashed or outshone the fragrance.


As with most of Lush's products, this one is incredibly versatile, and while the £29.95 price tag may seem a little daunting to those unsure of such a big commitment, it is definitely worth the investment. You can use this as both a body conditioner and a shaving foam, and I've even heard of people using this in replacement of a body lotion. Whichever way you choose to use yours, I can guarantee that you'll not be left disappointed with the results. 

First and foremost, you can use it as Lush intended - as a body conditioner. After using a gel, jelly or soap to clean yourself with, step out of the flow of the water and apply the product across your skin, as you would a body lotion. It wont lather up, and may disappear really quickly, but this is because it is designed to permeate the skin. The heat from the shower will have opened up your pores and made your skin more susceptible to the butters and oils featured in the ingredients list. Once applied, you can either step back under the flow of the water to rinse your body down, or exit the shower immediately and pat yourself down lightly. 


Unlike a body lotion, a conditioner creates a barrier of moisture around your skin, which may feel slightly greasy to some, and might prevent you from being able to apply your clothes until you've given it time to absorb into the skin. I can assure you that this will lessen within the first thirty minutes of application, and you'll feel much better afterwards.

With Big Blue, I found that an amount equal to that of a heaped teaspoon was more than enough to coat an entire leg, so you really don't need to use that much each time to get amazing results. Please also be aware that you wont necessarily be able to see the product when you're massaging it across an area of skin as it does tend to absorb really quickly. However, this does not mean that you should apply any extra and waste the product - the results after you rinse yourself down will speak for themselves.

Secondly, this body conditioner works as an excellent shaving foam. Simply apply a small amount across your legs and shave your legs as usual. You'll be left with super-soft skin, and one of the closest shaves you have ever experienced. Finally, you could also use this as a body lotion, as there doesn't appear to be anything featured that could damage or irritate your skin if left on for long periods of time. The only issue I have with this latter method is that it may leave your body feeling rather greasy, so may only work as an intense moisturiser for those who have incredibly dry skin.

While I was skeptical at first that I would even enjoy this body conditioner, after all of the negative press that it received from other Lush fans, I found that it was exactly as I envisaged it would be. Although I would have appreciated the lemon to be a little more dominant in the overall fragrance, I cannot fault the conditioner for smelling almost identical to that of the bath bomb it was trying to replicate.

Usability-wise, this conditioner does everything that you would want it too, and then outshines the other variations with its bold and uplifting scent. While it wouldn't be at the top of my list of favourite conditioners, I cannot say that it deserves to be anywhere near the bottom either.

Quantitative Ingredients: Water, Organic Jojoba Oil, Glycerine, Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter, Fair Trade Shea Butter, Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Triethanolamine, Lavender Oil, Lemon Oil, Seaweed Absolute, *Limonene, *Linalool, *Eugenol, *Geraniol, Perfume.

Vegan?: Yes.

2017 Price: £29.95 for 450.

Year Of Original Release: 2017.

Scent Family:
Big Blue Ballistic
Big Blue Body Conditioner
Big Blue Egg Bath Bomb
Bubbling Under Bubble Bar
Enchanted Island Bath Melt
Flotsam Soap
Mermaid Ballistic



4 comments

  1. SO glad someone else liked it and found the scent to be strong! I have been so happy with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I have enjoyed Big Blue bath bombs scent, I figured the BC would be a winner, hands down. Not so much. To me, the BC is way too herbal for my taste. However it ends up smelling better after the shower. And it's an awesome moisturizer. So I allow myself to use a bunch at a time so I can use it up. Wouldn't buy it again. Making the best of it. Could be worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so silly Jenn! I see that it came out in 2017, but I can't find this online anywhere. Is this a future item or is it a kitchen exclusive soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only available in the Lush Kitchen for a limited time, and went into Oxford Street for a week or two only. I'm hoping all of the conditioners make it into all stores in the near future.

      Delete


UP