Recently

8 June 2015

Rub Rub Rub Solid Shower Scrub


Rub Rub Rub Shower Scrub was one of the first products that I ever fell in love with - a shower item that has since become a staple in my household, and one that would break my heart if it was ever discontinued. I have lost count of the number of times this beautiful scrub has saved my skin and there is nothing like it when it comes to its fragrance.

When the solid rendition became available in the Oxford Street store, I was in two minds about whether I thought it was a good idea or not. While on the positive side, I envisaged myself crumbling this down and using it in a similar way to one of Lush's sand scrubs, I also worried that it wouldn't be as hydrating and refreshing on the skin - thus making its release rather unnecessary. 

Out of the packet, this scrub is beautiful - sporting a light, pastel blue demeanour with dried flowers decorating the surface with their gentle pinks and greens. Consistency wise, this solid block feels a little greasy between the fingers and the addition of the salt gives it a gritty but not overly harsh texture on all sides. 
Sharing its scent with its older brother, this solid cuboid contains both jasmine and mimosa absolute - two ingredients that give this scrub its amazing sweet florally aroma. While this is definitely a floral fragrance, it's far fresher than you're average flowery smell - instead smelling like a blossom tree catching the sea breeze on a windy day.

Blended with these ingredients are illipe butter and cupuacu, the latter helping to protect and moisturise while the former works on nourishing overworked skin and restoring skin's vitality. These traits make this a wonderful scrub to use either in the warmer months when you're skin is parched due to the overexposure of the sun, or in the months leading up to summer to improve the condition and radiance of your body before the shorts and strappy tops make a reappearance. 

Packed full of mineral-rich sea salt and organic lemon juice, this both exfoliates the body and cleanses the pores - leaving your skin feeling super soft and shiny. Despite how smooth my skin felt after use, I found that it wasn't a very rough scrub, so while I was able to remove light dirt and grime from the surface of my skin, I wasn't able to be too overzealous with how much pressure I placed upon the block for fear of it breaking. For this reason, I found the liquid alternative to be a little more satisfying as I was able to apply more pressure and get a slightly rougher exfoliation. 

Although it had the same scent as the liquid original alternative, it didn't linger on the skin as much after I had exited the bath. This was rather disappointing as the original is strong enough to see me through a good few hours and I can always smell it in the bathroom for hours afterwards. 

Furthermore, while I did my best to massage this over my body while standing outside of the running water, I still found that it shrunk quite considerably after the first use, and the bar itself had halved in size after 4-5 uses, meaning it's not as good value as its liquid counterpart. Frustratingly, I found that the scrub was actually harsher when I exfoliated under the running water - the water obviously exposing the salt underneath to keep it grittier and more effective.

Having said that, this is definitely a good exfoliator for those who don't want something so scratchy and potentially irritating on the skin, and the solid version makes it a lot easier to transport around with you if you're wanting to take it away on holiday. It's also handy for those who don't necessarily want to invest in a large pot of the stuff and are happy enough for something that'll last for 8-10 full body scrubs. 

Although I shall be sticking to my liquid favourite, I would consider buying this again and think it's a lovely alternative to Lush's regular sugar scrubs. If you love the scent of any of the products in this scent family, I suggest you invest in one of these as you'll know doubt appreciate it. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Fine Sea Salt, Organic Illipe Butter, Sodium Bicarbonate, Cupuacu Butter, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cream of Tartar, Lauryl Betaine, Jasmine Absolute, Sicilian Lemon Oil, Mimosa Absolute, Orange Flower Absolute, Lilial, Limonene, Perfume, Colour 42090, Colour 45410.

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £4.95 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2015.

Scent Family:
17 Cherry Tree Lane Soap
Mother Superior Bubble bar
Rub Rub Rub Salt Scrub
Rub Rub Rub Solid Scrub
Sakura Bath Bomb
Sakura Perfume
Seanik Solid Shampoo

11 comments

  1. This is apparently a list of the products that will soon be discontinued :http://lush-cosmetics-uk.tumblr.com/post/120597509406/discontinue-list-lush-2015. I will be sad to see some of them go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! I've already stocked up on my favourites, and I'm sure if I need any more, they'll all be back in the kitchen at some point!

      Delete
  2. Do you know when they'll release the new oxford products for regular stores?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no official date but it'll be a gradual thing over the next 3-4 months or so :)

      Delete
  3. I'd love to see a post on the discontinued products and the products you will miss most Jen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good way to preserve the body butters, I found, is to cut them into 4 pieces. I do this with You Snapped the Whip and I get about 6 uses for each quarter of a piece. Granted, I only use it on my back. And I store the pieces in old black pots and keep them away from the shower when not in use. I don't know how it would work with this one with all the salt but this is what Im most excited for from Oxford St, ohh and lord and misrule shower gel! Cant wait till they start dispersing these products internationally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice! I do tend to dry mine out between each use and do find they last a good number of times. However, I think my main issue with this one is that it wasn't as rough as I was hoping for. I think I'll stick to my rough with the smooth...

      Delete
  5. My shower scrub turned from blue to pink. I traveled to London in June and just opened the bag and it's now a light pink color. Have you experienced this happening to any products before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How strange! Could it have gotten a little damp and then the colour from the flowers bled across the whole thing? I've never had this happen to me!

      Delete
  6. Hi Jen!

    Do you know if this is replacing the liquid version, or will both be available as part of the permanent range?

    Thanks!
    N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, I don't think it will replace the liquid version - I think that's a very big seller and they'd be stupid to discontinue it. I know that I'd kick up a big fuss if they tried - I prefer the liquid version!

      Delete


UP