Recently

3 January 2015

Snowdrops Bath Bomb




Unfortunately, bath bombs such as Snowdrops get slightly overlooked at my house, especially when I have an array of other more visually interesting ones jumping out at me when I open my Lush drawer (metaphorically speaking, you understand!). There's just something rather anti-climatic about a boring white bath bomb, even when I know that with Lush, things aren't always as they seem.  

First released as a seasonal ballistic in 2008, Snowdrops was heralded as the saviour of winter; a combination of mandarin, grapefruit and peppermint to uplift and refresh your mind and body. The product is decorated with chunks of sugar crystals on top and filled with sparkly lustre to recreate a winter wonderland in your bath tub.  

The first aspect of this bath bomb that attracted me to it was its scent. Much like the Abominaball Snowman ballistic, the smell at the forefront here is mint - a wonderful rich peppermint that's rather strong but slightly musky and powdery as well. This is then mixed with the subtle fruity element from both the mandarin and grapefruit, and a slight hint of vanilla - three ingredients that work wonderfully well alongside the mint and take away some of the potency that peppermint can often deliver
Aside from its scent, the bath bomb offers two other key aspects. Firstly, Snowdrops is decorated with transparent lumps of sugar, which tend to sink to the bottom of the tub and dissolve slowly into the water. These were a rather beautiful addition to the bath bomb, and certainly gave the product a different edge from other ballistics. However, they did very little in the water, so I wouldn't have missed them if they hadn't have been there.

When dropped into the water, Snowdrops began to fizz immediately - dissolving  very quickly and leaving very little colour in the water afterwards. Having said this, what the bath bomb lacks in colour, it sure makes up for it in fragrance. Almost immediately, the bathroom filled up with a strong and very cooling mint aroma. In fact, it was so refreshing that it began to clear my airwaves whenever I breathed in and out: similar to what you'd find after inhaling the smell of Vicks vapour rub. For this reason, Snowdrops is the perfect and easily the best bath bomb to use when you have a cold or cough.

The scent was perfectly balanced in the tub, allowing me to enjoy each layer of the fragrance without being engulfed or overwhelmed by the mint. Once I got out of the bath, my skin felt slightly icy cold and tingly from the peppermint, much like your mouth does after you've cleaned your teeth with particularly strong toothpaste. This effect made me feel really refreshed and clean, something I was grateful for. However, I'm glad I used this in the summer months as I wouldn't have been very happy if I'd felt like this in the winter - my body definitely doesn't need any help in feeling cold then!
Due to the multiple oils featured in Snowdrops, my skin did feel rather moisturised when I stepped out of the tub, and I only had to carry out minimal moisturising on my body. Although not my favourite bath bomb, it was nice to experience yet another mint-scented product without it being too 'minty'. It helped to perk me up and left me feeling cleansed and revitalised. I hope Lush bring this back at some point in the future.

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Citric Acid, Large Sugar Crystals, Perfume, Iridescent Glitter (Polyethylene terephthalate and Acrylates copolymer), Mandarin Oil (Citrus nobilis), Grapefruit Oil (Citrus paradisi), Peppermint Oil (Mentha piperita), *Limonene, *Linalool.

Vegan?: Yes.

2017 Price: £3.95 each.



3 comments

  1. I wish Lush would create more bath products with a mint fragrance. I know we have Intergalactic but I'd love a really powerful peppermint scented bomb or bubble bar. I think it's strange how few mint scented products there are, especially considering we have so many citrus/floral/sweet scent families and mint is almost a category on it's own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the heads apparently hate mint, so there has been a huge limited amount of mint over the years. Its always super rare when it is released. I've managed to make mint seem normal at lush snagging limited edition's Washday Greens shampoo, Demon in the dark SG. Products that are LEGIT mint and not blends to soften the mint experience. They need some sort of mint face wash/scrub. Mask of Mega minty doesn't satisfy this desire.

      Delete
  2. I wish Lush would create more bath products with a mint fragrance. I know we have Intergalactic but I'd love a really powerful peppermint scented bomb or bubble bar. I think it's strange how few mint scented products there are, especially considering we have so many citrus/floral/sweet scent families and mint is almost a category on it's own.

    ReplyDelete


UP