Recently

2 January 2015

Snow On Snow Dusting Powder


For years and years, Lush old timers have been going on and on about a dusting powder called Snow On Snow. While I nodded my head and agreed that it sounded rather lovely on paper, it wasn't until it became available to buy through the Lush Kitchen that I realised how amazing the opportunity actually was. After snapping up five bottles of the stuff, I waited impatiently for them to arrive.

Snow On Snow hasn't been seen for sale for many years, despite being one of the most popular and best sellers from Lush. Any forum I visit, any Lush discussion I have become a part of - this product has always been mentioned heavily and comes out as one of the most favoured retro products.  

Sharing it's scent with the seasonal Snow Cake Soap, this dusting powder is a rich, decadent and very comforting addition to the family. With kaolin to both cleanse the body and exfoliate dead skin cells and debris from the surface, this dusting powder is a great product to use after a nice long soak in the bath. 

The inclusion of benzoin resinoid and cassie absolute gives this dusting powder a sweet creamy aroma of almonds, mixed in with the spicy, nuttiness of marzipan.  It is made up of a warm and sophisticated sweet smell, intertwined with a spicy, fruity after-scent which reminds me a little of tangerine. It's definitely a very wintery smell - coming across a little sweeter than the soap but equally as beautiful and unique. 

To use this product, simply shake into the palm of your hand and then rub into your skin. You can also apply it directly onto any areas you wish to, although I found that this can cause a lot of the powder to fall off and get onto your clothes and/or carpet. You only need a small amount to cover your whole body - I found a teaspoon amount was more than enough each time. 

The dusting powder sits beautifully on the body, immediately being absorbed into the skin so you don't have to worry about it rubbing off on any clothes you put on afterwards. The inclusion of cornflour and kaolin makes this powder beautifully soft and I was very surprised to discover how instantly smooth it makes your skin. I couldn't stop stroking my arms after I had used this for the first time and I found that the condition of my skin stayed like this for the entirety of the day. It's a great product to stash in your bag for those emergency 'sweaty moments', when a little of this powder will leave you smelling wonderful and feeling less 'sticky'.

Unfortunately, the one aspect of most of Lush's dusting powders that doesn't sit well with me, is that the Snow On Snow scent tends to fade after 20-30 minutes - I couldn't detect it on my skin at all after this point. While I could top up the smell with my Snow Cake Perfume, I was hoping for a little more longevity. Given how strongly the scent comes across in the bottle, I was expecting something with a little more 'bite'. Having said that, it does work wonders at conditioning the skin and works equally as well as any of Lush's body lotions. 

If you find that the powder format doesn't work for you or your skin, you can also sprinkle a little across your bed sheets or pillows, which leaves a wonderful fragrance to snuggle up with at night. It'll leave you feeling really relaxed as you drift off and leave you smelling royally beautiful the next day. 

A 50g bottle will set you back £5.95, which may seem a little expensive when you receive the small bottle. However, you need very little of the stuff at any one time and a bottle of this size usually lasts me a good 6 months to a year, depending on how often I use it. I'm glad I bought five bottles of this stuff as I'm relying on Snow On Snow to comfort me throughout my winter blues.  

Quantitative Ingredients: Cornflour (Zea mays), Kaolin, Magnesium Carbonate, Perfume, Benzoin Resinoid (Styrax tonkinensis pierre), Cassie Absolute (Acacia farnesiana), Rose Absolute (Rosa damascena), Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Cinnamate, Citronellol, Linalool.   

Vegan?: Yes.

2014 Price: £5.95 for 50g. 

Scent Family:


3 comments

  1. Do you think this will make a kitchen appearance any time soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's normally a Christmas release but as I learnt yesterday, the Kitchen are somewhat dictated by consumer requests, so message them every which way! They'll bring it out if there's enough demand :)

      Delete
  2. I just found 2 containers of this, but it's the old dusting powder container, not a bottle. I just found 2 of these, 2 Karma dusting powders and 2 Icon dusting powders. We moved last year and I must have stashed these..

    ReplyDelete


UP