Recently

22 October 2014

The Strokes Hair Moisturiser


I purchased this a few months ago from someone on the Lush forum, and was unsure whether or not I should actually use it on my hair. Normally, when something of Lush's is out of date, I don't mind giving it a shot if it still smells alright - the worst thing I can imagine happening is developing dry skin or getting a rash for a few days. However, I have struggled for the last couple of years to get my hair where I want it to be texture and condition wise. The idea of using a product that could potentially set me back six months, was a little unnerving. However, I was assured that my pot of The Strokes was fully functioning and completely usable, so I ventured to give it a go.  

The Strokes Hair Treatment, named about the popular Indie band, was designed to control and condition dry, fly-away hair. Almost identical in smell to one of my favourite Lush shampoos, Cynthia Sylvia Stout, this conditioner contains stout (beer), which is supposed to aide shine, as well as olive oil to condition and lock in moisture. Furthermore, it also contains lemongrass and thyme which are supposed to help condition and strengthen dry and damaged locks, while the fresh herbal and yeast infusions add protein for body and help keep hair under control, smooth and lustrous.

Lush state that you should use a whole pot for long hair, a quarter of a pot for short hair and anything in between for other different lengths, which I find particularly absurd. My hair runs past my shoulders and what I consider to be fairly thick, and I only needed to use a quarter of a tub with each use.

To use, you are supposed to plaster it all-over dry hair and then leave it on anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. Then simply rinse it off and follow up by shampooing and conditioning your hair as normal. 

I only had to use this product once to reap the full benefits of these ingredients; the effect was almost immediate. My hair felt absolutely amazing after washing this out; I could not believe that The Strokes could make my hair feel as wonderfully soft and nourished in such a short space of time. Furthermore, it looks shinier and is sleeker without looking flat or greasy. These effects tend to stay in my hair for a couple days, where I'll often not have to wash my hair for 3 or 4 days in a row as it stays looking and feeling beautiful.

Overall, I recommend this product as it is does exactly what it says on the tin; it's effective at making my hair softer, more hydrated and manageable, and is great value for money. I really hope that Lush bring this back out in the Kitchen soon so I can stock up and spoil my hair.

Quantitative Ingredients: Fresh Lemongrass, Thyme, Rosemary, Mint and Sage Infusion, Stout, Yeast Infusion, Cetearyl Alcohol & Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Cognac Oil, Lemongrass Oil, Citral, Geraniol, Citronellol, Limonene, Linalool, Perfume, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

Vegan?: Yes

Price: Unknown.

6 comments

  1. I have reasons to believe that this is one of three pots of The Strokes that I stocked up on when it was discontinued from retro, that I later gave away on the forum and that now has made its way to you ;) I really loved it too but had less use for it when I cut my hair short. The smell is not that pleasant at first, but at least it doesn't linger, contrary to jasmin & henna fluff-ease, the scent of which can become really too much sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was your pot :) I really loved it and would buy a lot if they brought it back in the kitchen. I agree with you about the potency of Jasmine and Henna, but I really love the smell!

      Delete
  2. How can I get my hands on some of this (U.S.)?? The Cynthia Sylvia Stout works so well, I need some of this!! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the US had it as a permanent on their website for a long time but I believe they've now taken it away to prepare for the Lush Kitchen coming over there! I hope it comes back soon :)

      Delete
    2. lol still no kitchen

      Delete
  3. I am gutted as I love this product and the Cynthia Sylvia stout shampoo but I think they've discontinued both. Maybe if enough of us send requests to Lush they would bring it back. I haven't been able to find anything that comes close to these products and my curly hair has been a nightmare since!!

    ReplyDelete


UP