Recently

8 October 2014

Reindeer Rock Soap




As far as soaps go, Reindeer Rock is one of the prettiest ones to be released from Lush; a glossy, cranberry-coloured beauty with silver reindeers embossed across the surface. While the soap looks stunning when you see a complete pie in the shops, this is one that doesn't lose any of it's beauty once it's been divided into chunks.

What makes this particular product all the more special, is that it shares its fragrance with the popular Comforter scent - a characteristic that will sell a thousand blocks alone. Described by Lush as a 'berrylicious treat made from a dried lingonberry infusion', this soap fits in with the other Christmas products wonderfully, but it's not one that's exclusive to a particular season.  

Let's be honest - I'm sure when most of you looked at the ingredients list, your immediate thought was 'what in God's name is a lingonberry?'. It's definitely not an ingredient I was familiar with before purchasing this soap, and not one that I have noticed in other Comforter-scented products either. In fact, it is this Scandinavian berry that gives the soap both it's vivid colour and it's sweet fragrance, without distilling or changing the recognised fragrance itself.

The inclusion of both the bergamot oil and cassis absolute, gives this soap a rich, creamy and very fruity blackcurrant aroma - one that relies on the natural sweetness of the fruit present in the soap, rather than the synthetic sugary scent you would normally expect from similar-scented products on the high street. 

2014 Edition - distinctively brighter!
Reindeer Rock is reminiscent of both the shower gel and jelly formats - offering consumers a smell that sits somewhere between blackcurrant jelly and Ribena. While the scent isn't a complex one, it's deliciously decadent and one that will appeal to consumers of all ages. 
The delicate mix of essential oils not only makes this an uplifting and highly cleansing soap, but also one that moisturises the skin and leaves it feeling smooth and soft to the touch. While the soap isn't the easiest one to lather up, it's far from being the most stubborn, and when rubbed between the palms of your hands, produces a thick and creamy lather to work with. 

Although it is not as nourishing as the shower gels, Reindeer Rock helps your skin to feel soothed and toned, without drying it out like a lot of soaps tend to do to my skin. While I still had to moisturise afterwards, I found that I could use The Comforter Body Lotion and top up the gentle berry scent that stayed with me after I had left the shower. 
Although Yog Nog Soap beats this one out for the top spot of 'best seasonal soap', this one still has many merits and is one I'd happily buy regularly, if Lush chose to include it in their permanent range. It's definitely a product you have to at least sample while you have the chance. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Lingonberry infusion, Glycerine, Rapeseed Oil and Coconut Oil, Sorbitol, Water (Aqua), Perfume, Bergamot Oil, Cassis Absolute, Cypress Oil, Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Limonene, Linalool, Raspberry Sparkle Dust, Snowflake Lustre.

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £3.25 for 100g, £8.10 for 250g, £16.25 for 500g.


14 comments

  1. Hi, Jen! I thought Reindeer Rick is crimson color. It seems that it is bright red or pink a bit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - I should have chosen my words a little carefully - I will update my review :)

      Delete
    2. I just was surprised to see on your pictures slightly another color than I was expecting from this soap. On Lush website it looks much darker for me..

      Delete
  2. I love this blog, would you be able to review The Christmas Hedgehog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - that means a lot! I will definitely be reviewing The Christmas Hedgehog - my review should be up by the end of the week :)

      Delete
  3. I've been following your blog for a little while now and I really like the way you describe everything!. I have a love/hate relationship with the comforter line; I love the bubble bar but I find the gel and the jelly a bit too sweet and overwhelming. Is the soap more similar to the bar or to the gel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - thank you so much for the positive comments, they really do mean a lot :) As for this soap, it's definitely not as sweet as the shower gel but I would say it is closer to the gel than the bubble bar. I agree that the bubble bar is by far the best version of this fragrance as there's something slightly sugary about it which is wonderful - having said that, I would suggest that you ask for a sample the next time you're in the shop as you may just like it :)

      Delete
    2. I have a similar relationship with the Comforter line. I love the bubble bar, but everything else smells sickly sweet to me. I received a sample of the soap, and it honestly reminded me more of Snow Fairy (gag) then the Comforter.

      Delete
  4. I went and got some of this soap yesterday! It smells amazing! Going back for more! Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blogs, wanna try so many things! You should defo try making reindeer rock shower gel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do - I have so much of the stuff from all of the gift sets I purchased in the sale - I was planning on using it to make a sugar scrub as well :)

      Delete
  6. So, does the soap have a better lather this year, or is it the same?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this at LUSH this Christmas and bought some on a whim. My husband started borrowing it and his usually extremely dry skin has honestly been completely transformed. This was the first soap that I bought at LUSH, and I need to stock up during the next boxing day sale.

    We just started using LUSH products and my whole family has seen such a huge improvement in the health of their skin.

    I hope that they make this an all-season product too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so amazing to hear! I'm glad that you found a lost product that works so well for you and your husband. They've bought the soap out for the last two years so there's a good chance that it will come out next Christmas!

      Delete


UP