Recently

10 October 2014

Baked Alaska Soap




When I first saw the pictures of Baked Alaska Soap, I was immediately spellbound by how gorgeous it looked. Much like Angels Delight, which unfortunately hasn't made a return in this year's seasonal range, the product's design - including the vibrant colours, sets it above most of the products currently for sale in a Lush shop.

While I have never eaten the popular Norwegian dessert, I do recognise where the title comes from and why this soap is the epitome of the chilled pudding it is named after. Consisting of ice cream in the middle, the dessert is smothered in meringue and cooked for a very brief amount of time. This allows the meringue to set without melting the ice cream - meaning when you carve into the cake, you'll find a surprisingly cold middle with a warm outer layer.

When whole, this soap looks like a gigantic snowball - the meringue shell if we're talking cake. However, you only have to carve into it to find a strong, uplifting and beautifully vibrant-coloured citrus soap. In fact, it outshines Bohemian, Sea Vegetable and Sandstone as possibly being the strongest zesty soap I have ever purchased from Lush.

While this is a new design, Baked Alaska does share it's scent with Snow Globe - a seasonal soap that has been a staple for many people over the last number of years. Although it seems that Lush have simply changed the colours of the old favourite and released it under a different name, there is more to this new product than immediately meets the eye. 

For a start, this soap offers up a far more stronger aroma than it's older brother. Whereas I would describe Snow Globe as having a gentle grapefruit and lemongrass aroma, this particular soap has a much more powerful scent and there's an element of sourness to it, which makes it incredibly refreshing.  

The soap contains lemon myrtle and grapefruit oil - both of which work wonderfully well at sustaining the sweet and rather tart aroma during usage in the shower, as well as when the soap is sitting unused. If you like Avobath or Up You Gets, you'll no doubt appreciate the sourness of this scent. The ylang ylang helps to round off this citrus combination whilst also adding a very subtle floral aroma. This latter note sits on the very outskirts of the fragrance so it's not something you pick up immediately. However, it comes through a little more in the shower and works wonderfully well at relieving aches and pains while you're massaging it into the skin. 

While it's not a very moisturising soap, it does produce a nice creamy lather to work with and does leave you feeling squeaky clean and smelling beautiful. Whereas I found that Snow Globe smelt like a toilet cleaner under hot water, Baked Alaska was different and I really appreciated how much the smell intensified under the warm water. 

Fans of anything citrusy will love this and I will definitely be getting an extra chunk or two to see me through the year. While you wouldn't immediately label this as a Christmas-smelling soap, I can see why it would be a perfect 'get-up-and-go' for when you're finding it hard to leave the house on those dark winter mornings. A much appreciate addition to this year's Christmas range - I highly recommend you have a sniff and see what you think.

Quantitative Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Glycerine, Rapeseed Oil and Coconut Oil, Sorbitol, Perfume, Lemon Myrtle Oil, Ylang Ylang Oil, Grapefruit Oil, Titanium Dioxide, Gardenia Extract, Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Citral, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Methyl Ionone, Colour 45350, Colour 42090, Colour 45410, Colour 17200, Colour 14700.

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £3.25 for 100g, £8.10 for 250g, £16.25 for 500g. 


11 comments

  1. I just have the opportunity to smell this soap in my local store today. I quite like the citrusy smells, but this one is a bit "house cleanser" like so I think I´m going to pass on this soap. It's a pity because I really like the design of this soap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just used a slice of Baked Alaska this morning and I really loved it. The smell is so good. I normally don't like citrus scents but a few Lush products have convinced me to change my mind. I don't usually reorder soaps because I've never fallen in love with one but this is one I'd probably reorder. Thanks for your review and convincing me to try this soap :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could help and I'm really happy that it's made a strong enough impression on you to buy it again! Yay!

      Delete
  3. I came here through a Google search, as I was worried when AD was gone; so I'll be short: how similar to AD is this soap? From what you described and from what I remember as a former employee, this could be just a tiny bit sharper, but naturally, I trust your nose more than I would trust my interpretation of your words Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - unfortunately, this soap isn't like AD at all - my initial comment was reflecting more on the fact that neither AD nor Snow Globe have made a reappearance this year. Baked Alaska actually shares it's scent with Snow Globe so it's a sour, citrusy scent - not the lovely sweet scent that AD has. I would keep your hopes up though as I have heard that AD might be making an appearance in the Lush Kitchen closer to Christmas so we should be able to stock up then :)

      Delete
    2. Ooo, that sounds incredibly good, I shall keep an eye on the site. :D And thanks for the closer description, it did not sound so initially.

      Delete
  4. Love snow globe! It's like a hunk of sour gummy bears in soap form it is perfect for days you don't wanna get out of bed

    ReplyDelete
  5. This smells EXACTLY like Avobath to me, which smells exactly like lemon Pez to me. :) Although when I use this on my hands and the scent lingers it starts to smell like Barbie dolls, which is quite nostalgic for me. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. The perfect song to go with the Baked Alaska soap is actually from a video game. Just put this on your computer speakers as you bathe and you will have no trouble imagining yourself on your own personal California beach. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpsaoGa5qIg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time I smell this I just want to eat it, smells so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, exfoliation can leave your skin looking brighter. This is why the Black Sea soap is recommended for post workout. It contains seven oils and activated charcoal.

    ReplyDelete


UP