Recently

12 September 2014

Street Party Bath Bomb


To celebrate the 2011 Royal wedding, Lush re-released one of their older bath bombs, Street Party. Although I wasn't around to pick any up during this time, it was only a few months later that I first began collecting Lush stuff, and it was in the early stages of my collection when I discovered a couple of these on eBay. Perfectly named for the occasion, this is a bath bomb with a few surprises up it's sleeve, and one you should probably read up on before you try it out. 

Scented with a mixture of lavender and vervain, this product produces a sweet citrusy and slightly floral fragrance. It's a smell that could have very easily clashed, but doesn't. It's a slightly powdery scent, one that is mostly dominated by the zest of lemon, with just a hint of lavender and a slight woody element that makes this very uplifting in the tub. What I loved about this bath bomb, was that the delicious citrus aroma stayed with you throughout most of the bath and was really refreshing and reviving on your skin.

When Street Party is added to the tub, it immediately begins to fizz and spew out it's contents across the surface of the water, dissolving very quickly and dispersing a slightly milky-white coloured cloud. However, this faint colour doesn't stick around for long so you might want to add another product to give it a little life. Additionally, it's a rather loud fizzing bath bomb so reacts quite dramatically to the water, bobbing and spinning on top of the surface like it's about to explode.

This product also releases a rather large amount of glitter and heart-shaped confetti which completely coats the surface with a mixture of red, blue and gold lustre. This glitter doesn't sink to the bottom of the tub like it normally does; instead dancing underneath the surface and completely painting your skin with a Union Jack of colours. This abundance of glitter got everywhere; in my hair and on most parts of the skin, coating the edge of the bath tub and causing quite a mess.

What I really liked about Street party was the addition of the British flag, which was embedded inside and out to one side of the ballistic. Furthermore, once the bath bomb had dissolved, I discovered that it also had a piece of party string, which added to the celebration element and was something different from other ballistics.

The best aspect of this bath bomb, was how soft it made the water feel. It was noticeably silky within seconds of the bath bomb being dropped in, and this moisturised my skin more than most Lush ballistics. I found this strange as there's nothing in the ingredients list to suggest that it would perform this way; normally I would expect a list of different oils that can explain the water-softening properties.

As you can see from my second video, my bath bomb was rather old and so it didn't perform anywhere near to the standard that you would expect from a fresh Lush ballistic. However, it still contained a strong scent and performed well enough for me to judge what it would be like as a fresh product.

Though there was loads of glitter in the bath, it was easy enough to rinse it away afterwards. However, the same cannot be said for poor old me, who had to go to work the next day looking as if I'd gotten into a fight with the local arts and crafts store. The glitter got everywhere; my clothes, my hair, my bed, and was a nightmare to get rid of.

I did enjoy using Street Party, which smelled lovely and looked very pretty, but Lush would have to rethink the addition of glitter before I choose to use this again. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Bicarbonate of sodium (Sodium Bicarbonate), citric acid (Citric Acid), perfume, lavender oil (Lavandula angustifolia), Litsea Cubeba Oil, Red, Blueand Golden Glitter (Polyethylene terephthalate), Pink Confetti Heart, Ribbon Flag, Paper Streamer, Citral, Limonene, Linalool.

Vegan?: Yes.









1 comment


UP