Recently

8 July 2014

The Guv'ner Powdered Deodorant

As I've mentioned in previous deodorant reviews, it is very rare that I have anything bad to say about Lush. Unfortunately, when I do, it's normally to do with one of their less than effective deodorants that often seem to elevate and encourage the very problems they claim to eradicate. 

The Guv'ner is the second to last deodorant from Lush that I have left to review, and as previous experience goes, this product already starts off on uneven standing. Described by the company as a 'hardworking, absorbent deodorant powder that means business', I was expecting something a little more effective than their previous offerings.

This is one of Lush's powdered products and comes in an 80g bottle, which may make it sound rather expensive when priced at £6.25. However, you only need to use a minuscule amount each time, meaning this bottle would probably last you a good six or more months. I was using it twice a day, for almost a month, and the powder barely moved a centimetre away from the top of the bottle.  

The powder is made up of a combination of different ingredients, each bringing their unique scents and properties to the mix. This list includes charcoal, sodium bicarbonate, lavender powder and calamine powder to name just a few. 

The different powders used in this are supposed to absorb sweat and soothe skin while the essential oils keep you smelling good for the whole day. Firstly, there's charcoal powder, which absorbs moisturise and eradicates smells; the lycopodium powder helps to keep the deodorant gentle on your skin, also acting as a cooling element, alongside the patchouli, to keep you feeling fresh; the sage and patchouli are there for their wonderful aroma and also for their antiseptic and astringent qualities. These latter ingredients have been proven to shrink pores, aiding towards the ultimate goal of decreased sweating!

Much like The Greeench Powdered Deodorant, applying the deodorant proved a little difficult. I tend to pour a little on the tips of my fingers and then rub it immediately under my armpits. However, despite my best efforts, I always end up spilling excess powder on my clothes or floor, so it's a little fiddly to say the least. Furthermore, it left a dark powdery layer on my armpits, which although didn't transfer onto my clothes, did leave me feeling rather conscious; it wouldn't be a product I'd be able to wear with short sleeves.

Unlike a lot of synthetic deodorants available in shops, this one is far more natural, meaning it doesn't block off the sweat glands. Although this is definitely a positive attribute, I was also aware that The Guv' ner wouldn't protect me for as long as other anti-perspirants might have done. This fact became all the more apparent when I found myself sweating profusely at work one day and became paranoid that the sweat would permeate my top and show through. However, the deodorant does act as a great repellent of smells, and despite amassing a fair bit of sweat, I couldn't detect any bad smells coming from my body.

The Guv'ner is probably one of the better smelling deodorants, a subtle blend of vetivert, patchouli, sage and lavender. It is this latter ingredient that comes through the most here, although it's a gentle scent so won't overpower any body lotion or perfume that you wish to apply.

Overall, it's far from being a terrible product; I just don't think it's suited to me. As I said in a previous review, I know I look for Lush for solutions in all of my cosmetic needs, but as of yet, they have yet to convince me that I should move away from my regular bottle of Nivea.

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Lycopodium Powder, Magnesium Trisilicate, Powdered Charcoal, Calamine Powder, Sage Powder, Lavender Powder, Perfume, Patchouli Powder, Rose Absolute, Vetivert Oil, *Geraniol, *Limonene, *Linalool.

Vegan?: Yes.


No comments

Post a Comment


UP