Recently

7 April 2014

More Than Mortal Body Scrub


With every new seasonal release as with every new retro range, you can guarantee that Lush will shower you with limited edition soaps, bath bombs, jellies and gels. However, it is very rare that they'll offer you anything aside from the typical shower products. So when I saw that Lush were bringing out a body scrub, I was very excited to get my hands on some and test it out. 

Although marketed as a new product, More Than Mortal is actually an old favourite, first released way back in 2006, designed to 'smooth' and 'polish' every skin type with it's grain-like consistency and exfoliating properties. With an updated and improved recipe, this body scrub is a perfect product to use in the upcoming summer months. 

In the tub, this product smells very much like orange squash - it's a sweet, fresh citrus smell that has elements of the lime, grapefruit, pineapple and apricot in it. However, once this body scrub comes into contact with hot water, it's fragrance expands out a bit and you begin to pick out different elements that weren't at the forefront before. 

It was during use that I was able to appreciate both the lavender and anise elements of the product. Although very subtle, I was able to detect both whilst I was applying this scrub to my body, which just gave More Than Mortal that extra aromatic layer. 
More importantly, the ground walnut and almonds really help to give this body scrub a gritty consistency, which alongside the kaolin, makes it an excellent exfoliator without it being at all oily or heavy on the skin. When I say gritty, I don't mean it's similar to Sandstone Soap, which uses actual sand to give it that rough texture. Nor does this scrub compare to Rub Rub Rub, which uses salt to harness that gritty consistency. I'd say More Than Mortal is not that far off Ocean Salt, albeit slightly drier and better smelling. 

Unlike the soap and the salt scrub, More Than Mortal is really easy to apply. Simply scoop small amounts from the tub and lather across the areas of skin you wish to, massaging in a circular motion to help exfoliate and moisturise the skin. The paste-like scrub is wonderfully light on the skin and despite it's non-greasy consistency, creates a slightly oily barrier on the skin. 

When you rinse it away, you skin is left beautifully soft, almost glowing with vibrancy. There is also a very subtle hint of almond and pineapple left on the surface, which is lovely. My skin remained really smooth and moisturised all day and into the next, which means it has a longevity far greater than some of Lush's other scrubs. 
For just under £9, this is a rather expensive buy. Having used it across my entire body, I would estimate that you'd get 3-4 uses out of a single tub this way, so it's not something you could use daily. Furthermore, More Than Mortal has a short shelf life, similar to that of Lush's fresh face masks, so it's not something you'd want to stock up with either. 

I was really impressed with this - it's feels, smells and looks really fresh and works perfectly with my skin type. Additionally, it possesses a lovely natural fruity fragrance that is strong enough to leave it's mark, but not too potent to overpower the user. My skin felt really beautiful after initial use; silky soft without feeling or looking greasy. 

Ultimately, I hope that this remains a regular product in Lush's range as I'd definitely invest in another pot in the near future. The only reason that I didn't award this scrub a full six marks, is due to it's price; for a short-life product, and one that only has a few uses, it is a little overpriced.     

Quantitative Ingredients: Kaolin, Star Anise and Lime Tree Flower Infusion (lllicium verum, Tilea europea), Fresh Pineapple (Ananas comosus), Ground Walnut Shell (Juglans Regia), Apricot Kernel Oil (Prunus armeniaca), Glycerine, Ground Almonds (Prunus dulcis), Grapefruit Oil (Citrus paradisi), Lavender Oil (Lavandula angustifolia), Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Perfume.

Vegan?: Yes.

2016 Price: £6.95 for 40g.
2017 Price: £6.95 for 40g.

3 comments

  1. Just used this in my bath and I cannot stop stroking my arms and legs, my skin feels amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you loved it as much as I did! It wasn't a product I was that excited about to begin with, but since it made my skin feel so amazing today, I cannot wait to try it again :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh that looks so amazing. I was really curious about this one when I saw it on the kitchen website. Thank you for reviewing it.

    ReplyDelete


UP